1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

new model hw95 internals and thoughts

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mark.177, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

bought this brand new last week and first thing i noticed firing this rifle was the very prominent spring "twang" so far have only shot 14 pellets through a chrono to test power. its producing 11.35ft/lbs and seems consistent if a little noisy and harsh. not trusting a the factory workers that assembled my rifle to do a particularly good job i stripped it down and had a look. first thing i noticed was small bits of metal swarf on the trigger block and inside its housing! once the piston was out i noticed a lot of grease on the front surface and also worryingly more swarf but the main FFS was the damaged piston seal! looks to have been caused on assembly.... so new piston seal right off the bat. maybe mine slipped through but i thought weihrauch had addressed this? any way the original purpose of the strip was to check and relube the internals but also see if i could eliminate the twang. heres som pics

also thought id mention... there is very little pre load on the spring. the spring looks correctly finished both ends but a little rough still
    [​IMG]
    damaged piston seal
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. evenbad

evenbad Evenbad

Well done having the confidence to strip rifle { I wouldn't have a clue} Why cant you take it back and show pics of damaged seal! Shoddy workmanship swarf etc and surely its down to poor quality control , keep us informed how you are getting on.

3. thevoid

thevoid Posting Addict

Getting all too common now with Weihrauch, my new 95 had a hump in the piston, lucky I was going to be machining it down anyway.
    I didn't even bother to shoot mine, cocked it once and it felt rough and was immediately stripped and reworked

4. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

still waiting for scope mounts so thought id strip it before putting too many pellets through it. have ordered another piston seal so will be left stripped for a while. before re assembling will de bur the chamber and clean it thoroughly.

5. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Have you had a word to who you got it from?

6. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

not yet as only a piston seal, clean and re lube needs doing. to be honest i new at the very least a full strip and re lube would be needed right from the start so not suprised by what i found.

not entirely sure? but does look as though a piston sleave is fitted on this one, i though the new ones didnt have them? the spring guide is a loose fit so wondered if a custom one would help eliminate some of the twang?

7. thevoid

thevoid Posting Addict

Yes mate, the piston liner along with 2 weights/washers was inside mine and the guide is like a dick in a shirtsleeve. remove the liner and weights, put in a pfte or even pop bottle liner, then a custom guide and you're most of the way to a decent tune

8. 177

177 Donator

By definition 'having a word' with the seller would be problematic due to having stripped the rifle and effectively voiding the warranty as a result. Hull Cartridge are usually pretty decent but some RFD's adopt a much dimmer view.

I know it's not quite the same thing but imagine the reception you would get from a garage if you took your shiny new car back saying you'd stripped the engine down and found some things that weren't to your satisfaction...

9. JLB

JLB Busy Member

I'd agree. You should always shoot a new rifle for a bit to make sure its ok. Though it's quite rare I have come across loose/bent barrels, screws missing etc over 30 years of shooting. Stripping it will almost certainly void your warranty, just hope it shoots straight when you put it back together.

John:)

10. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

trouble is with spring air rifles today is you cant always see the damage/faults/poor assembly internally or know the damage/loss of performance its causing. in my eyes stripping and relubing is basic maintenance. warranty voiding or not. there really shouldnt be any damage caused to seals when assembled or swarf on internal components but unless stripped you want notice till too late.
    im not worried either way really, i bought the rifle as a platform to improve upon over time, eventually maybe fitting a custom stock as well. all the main parts seem good just a shame theyve skimped on just a few small parts inside... better fitting spring guides made from better materials, and a tighter fitting piston sleeve... shouldnt cost that much extra surely? a little time de burring, cleaning and assembling would help, it is a premium rifle after all... or sold as one any way.
    gives me something to play with i guess?

11. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

It would be interesting to know if anyone has seen the warranty given with a new Wiehrauch? I'm not trying to be smart or funny, it's a genuine question.

I guess what I'm driving at... is how are you informed of Wiehrauch's warranty, and is there a part of it that precludes you taking your rifle apart?

Often when you buy a PC, there would be a breakable sticker over the access panel(or whatever method of opening) that clearly states that your warranty is void if broken.

I would tend to think that there might be a case for not invalidating your warranty by opening up your gun, but on that note relubing with your own choice of lube may well invalidate it?

If someone's seen the actual warranty when they have bought one that say's that you can't dissemble then I'll happily be shot down in flames of course and never mention it again! :)

12. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

simply states in the manual that "alterations and all work to the gun must only be done by an authorized gunsmith. make sure that only original weihrauch spare parts are used."

so... apart from adjusting the trigger pull weight, checking the stock screws are tight, cleaning the barrel and wiping down with an oily rag... maybe fitting sling swivels your voiding the warranty doing anything else.

13. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

anyway... never mind the warranty its mine and as long as i dont break the law can do what i like with it:) what im trying to do is get it sorted and show others that may want to do the same... and find others that can offer hw95 owners advice.

14. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Thats not good bud, picked up a new HW99s today and have put about 30 through it, it too is rather twangy but im not gonna touch it as it will be off to Wonkey Donkey soon.

15. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

Therein lies the problem I guess? The damage to the seal would be clear to anyone with any knowledge of stripping a spring airgun that it had occurred during assembly. It's "Damage".... and therefore if the gun wasn't sold with your full knowlegde of the fault, then you have no way of discovering the fault without invalidating your warranty!

Does the wording you mention.... just out of interest.... mention within context that unauthorised non gunsmith work actually invalidates your warranty? Or is it just a statement that you should use authorised gunsmiths?
    What is the correct answer to the problem I wonder? Do you have to buy the gun, find your nearest Weihrauch approved gunsmith, and then ask them to strip the gun in front of you there and then? And assuming you found this fault, then ask for it to be fixed and him to forward his invoice to Wiehrauch?

16. Egg

Egg Major Poster

^^ You're probably morally right there Alex however I'm sure if there was any wriggling to be done re the T&C of the warranty then the seller would wriggle like a worm.

As far as I'm concerned, stripping the gun down to check it's integrity doesn't constitute fiddling with it in an unauthorised way but that's just my POV and obviously worth jack5h1t in law. It's a real toughy but I'm sure Hans would take time out to reply to a politely worded email raising concerns over the state of a gun that's left his family's factory. He takes any feedback seriously.

17. evenbad

evenbad Evenbad

I,m with EGG on this matter an e mail or letter to Hans with pics to confirm that the rifle was like this when purchased is surely not acceptable. Yes you are competent to strip and repair you rifle but not all of us have your skill and hopefully when Hans is informed will up his QC{ quality control} procedure. To be honest its def put me off buying one as it defective when it left the factory.

18. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

I agree that the seal i9sn't perfect and that it has been 'nicked' on the cocking slot when they inserted the piston at the factory, however this is a key comment by the OP

" its producing 11.35ft/lbs and seems consistent"

At the end of the day the rifle works as described and if it wasn't stripped it would continue to do so for thousands of pellets and way beyond the warranty period if it was left untouched and the owner would be none the wiser. Only when it produces a fault that affects how the gun should perform does it then become a genuine warranty issue.

As an habitual perfectionist, I tend to strip most things I buy new just to check them over and in many many cases I see poor assembly practises but they all still work.............but they CAN be improved.

19. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

it was very consistent and would have worked fine as you said. but also like you i cant help myself, im as interested in seeing how things work or could be improved upon as i am in shooting, its part of the hobby for me. yes have broken a few things but learn from it. more often though i suprise myself and end up with something that works beautifully.... thats when i leave it alone and just enjoy it.

20. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

You are the same as me then as I would also strip it just to see what is inside and what can be improved upon :)