1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New little plinker

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by Animal Mother, May 21, 2014.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Active Member

Picked this little plinker up yesterday.

A decent price with the adapter, Weihrauch moderator, 2 x mags, tin of RWS Hobbies, and a load of CO2.

It shoots really well, pretty accurate and VERY quiet.

[​IMG]

2. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Yes it will be very quiet, looks good, enjoy :up:

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I bet that's a cracking little plinker and all the more fun if it's quiet :D

4. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I'm sorry, I just don't get it????? More fun if it's quiet???.................I hope you can explain it to me, I understand quiet from a hunters point of view, well up to a point I do, though I don't fully believe it. A silencer on a Co2 phut phing?? Come on, they only make a wee noise without one. I shoot a Webley Tempest in my garden, and my neighbours can't hear it if their windows are closed, and even if they do hear it, they say it isn't intrusive.

I aint looking for an argument, I am trying to understand what all this is about, when I was a young man, it was a case of the bigger / louder the bang the better, now it seems to be shush!...someone might hear us.:confused:

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Each to their own, but looks a bit silly to me, longer than the gun, and how does he use the sights, as the foresight looks lower than the moderator, but if he likes it, that is all that matters. Atb to all, Bob.

6. mattw975

mattw975 Big Poster

The first thing I ask if someone is after a pistol silencer for on of these types of pistol is "how high is the foresight relative to the barrel centre" then I can make a unit that doesn't obscure the iron sights :)

7. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Oh if he likes it that's fine Bob, not what I was getting at, it's just that I see / hear so many people expounding the virtues of being quiet, as though it's summat that is highly desirable? "When I were a lad", silencing air guns just didn't enter our heads, I suppose we all felt that the bigger the bang it made, it then felt and sounded more like a "real gun". I find it quite comical that the manufacturers of these realistic looking Co2 jobbies go to so much trouble to make them like real firearms as possible, even to the extent of providing models with blowback, but they still sound like a Pea Shooter.

8. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

Silencing a gun when back yard plinking is just being considerate to your neighbours.
    when I first got my ratty for back yard plinking I used it unsilenced although the neighbours said they didn't mind I noticed they vacated their back yards when I started now its silenced and in conjunction with a quiet back stop they don't know I'm even there.

9. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Well I can see how that works for you, but I suspect it's actually the quiet backstop that is the more effective, but we don't all live in little boxes glued end to end, so what's everybody else's excuse / reason?

10. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Oooofff... How the other half live.

11. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Ooooops yes sorry, just realised how that sounded..................apologies all.:)

12. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Active Member

[​IMG]

Without the silencer it's a noisy little b****r, and not a nice noise either. I have two dogs that don't like sharp noises so it helps. Also, I like to hear the "plinking" noise, rather than the gun.

Yes, yes, I know, the sight picture is affected, however, I've now put my Parker Hale silencer on and I get a quiet gun with the sight picture intact. The Weihrauch silencer can go on my QB78 now.

Oh, and just so Ichabod Armacost doesn't feel ganged up on,I live in a big posh house too! :D :mao::laff:

13. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I was not getting at your comment, just saying what I thought of the gun+mod. By the way did moderators exist for air guns back in those days, I don't remember any, but in them days, took me all my time to find enough money for a tin of wasps. Atb, Bob.

14. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I don't remember any Bob, nor do I remember anybody hankering after one?

15. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I am not against moderators, I have them on my guns, my comment was just about that particular set up. I think Ichabod wants one, go on get one, you know you want one.;)

16. stwhit

stwhit Member

i have the Gammo p85 blowback its loud and lots of fun, being a child at 45 always brings a smile to my face

17. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Naaaaaaa, I'll give it a miss Bob if it's all the same to you?:) Anyhow, I aint got a use for one. Interestingly, a couple of blokes at my club have removed the silencers from their PCP rifles, when I asked 'em why they said that they thought their guns wee more consistent without them. Most of the members, who are FT and HFT shooters, seem to have silencers on their rifles, I can't see the need myself, so I just think of them as some sort of fashion statement or bling item, hey if it makes 'em happy then alls good by me. I think it will just have to remain one of life's mysteries for me, as I don't think I will ever get a fully coherent and rational answer from anyone regarding silencers. I sort of understand why hunters think it will give them an edge, though I have yet to see any hard scientific evidence to prove the theory.

Boot on other foot a bit though, I am now starting to wonder why I am finding the use of silencers so vexing??? I mean it don't really matter do it? I think I could do with a bit of time on the psycho babble couch!:D

18. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I can see your point. I only hunt, and that is the reason I use them, can see the use for them in a garden, so as not to upset those next door, but I could live without them, managed quite well without them for years. Atb, Bob. PS. A long time ago, I could not see the point of a scope, at air gun ranges, but now iron sights are just a blur, so have to use one, getting older has its down side.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  19. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

As with most airguns, CO2 pistols make enough noise to be audible at a reasonable distance; making them quiet prevents others from hearing them which serves two purposes IMO:

1. It prevents the noise encroaching on neighbours' quality of life - avoiding them getting p****d off which is good for all concerned.
    2. It prevents more people than necessary knowing what you're doing - why make your actions more obvious than they need to be potential curtain-twitching antis and thieves?

This is quite a different situation to you and your Tempest. Springers are inherently quieter than CO2; especially if the latter pistol has a short barrel. Your Tempest is only capable of a leisurely rate of fire - perhaps one round every 10-20 seconds but most likely even less. 20 seconds is long enough to empty two full mags from a decent CO2 pistol.. which is obviously a lot more aurally intrusive for those close by, as well as sounding more "incriminating" to those who don't know any better.

I prefer quiet guns full-stop (have never been attracted to stuff just because it makes a loud bang :rolleyes:) and there's an additional novelty / fun factor for some (myself included) in the use of moderated, rapid-fire guns; especially pistols ;)

20. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Class!