1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

New(ish) to All This

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by braingoing, Aug 4, 2007.

1. braingoing

braingoing Member

I have just bought a XS78CO2 and have fired off about 25 pellets to get used to it and it sems to be a good gun to me, I have managed to hit coke cans end-on, most of the time at about 18 yards (paces) :D
    (I last used an air rifle over 40 years ago). please can anyone tell me what is the best type of pellets to use to kill Very Large Vermin in my garden. The shop that I bought the Gun from sold me Milbro Caledonian .22, but I have been told by a friend that I should use either Pointed or Hollow Point 0nes (whatever they are). I have looked on eBay and all the different makes available are very confusing to say the least. I want to buy a scope and a silencer, please any surgestions. Thanks in advance for any replys.

2. David

David Engaging Member

Hi Braingoing
    I welcome you to the forum, Im sure you will find your answers to your questions I believe you have come to the right forum for advice, I understand that there is a poll somewhere on this forum that asks what pellets you would use, there is a selection of styles of pellets and in different caliburs to choose from might be a good place to start

I would like to ask what you consider a 'Large' vermin to be as air rifles have a limited amount of 'Vermin' you can legaly shoot

All the best
    David

3. braingoing

braingoing Member

Thank You.

Hi David, thank you for your welcome. The vermin that I called Large is to me large as it bigger than a mouse, its Squirrels (spelt with 3 f's :mad:) that have invaded my garden, they arrived 2 or 3 days after I had a new lawn laid, so I have declared war on them the score so far is Me, 1 -- Them, 0.
    Regards, Braingoing

4. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi, Hollow points are a good choice for squirrels as they are thin bodied and you dont want over penetration in a garden environment.
    However, they are suprisingly tough little critters,try out a few different different types of pellet.
    You could mount a dead one, at expected ranges,to get a rough idea of what your damage your pellet does.
    I've used RWS Super H Point for squirrels for years.
    Cheers.PS

5. David

David Engaging Member

I agree with Potshot with the addition that what ever gives you tighter groupings and better accuracy, some guns prefer a certain brand than other so try experimenting

Good luck

6. braingoing

braingoing Member

Ta.

Thank you all for your advice :D, I will take it on board
    Regards, Braingoing