1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New Hw99s - She's Ready

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by JoeHeugh, Aug 2, 2020 at 11:57 AM.

1. JoeHeugh

JoeHeugh Beware the Springer

Up with a bottle of wine until 6am this morning so I was not much pleased with a ten o'clock hammering on the door but I soon had a smile on my face, it was the man from Uttings!

So my new HW99s is now all ready to go out for some pellet testing and running in and will soon be out in the field.

Tinbum kit fitted and piston polished (the whole thing, it's just a cylinder with no bearing surfaces). I don't quite believe it but the first shot after this was a diesel at 32 fpe but after a bit of running in she's stabilised at a healthy 11.2 fpe.

Rowan extra set back trigger. Nuff said really but it's about time Weihrauch listened to some customer feedback.

A mattw975 moderator to make her look cool. Actually no, I did some sound testing last night (see shotgun section) and there is a noticable reduction which measured on a sound meter was a drop from 85.5 dB to 77.4 db and an 8 dB drop is not insignificant. Thanks Matt!

Leupold VX Freedom 1.5 - 4 x 20 scope with duplex reticule. Cost more than the rifle but it's a little cracker, obviously I've not used it yet but it's bright and clear and appears to be everything I need.

Leather sling, well sometimes you have to take the dog a walk!

hw99-complete.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 12:40 PM
  2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Well you smashed that out quickly, still running on the wine;)

Very nice mate

JoeHeugh likes this.
  3. JoeHeugh

I must be, I'll be back to bed when it wears off!

foxtrott likes this.
  4. Van Pelt

Van Pelt Engaging Member

Great bit of kit. Does the Rowan trigger fit easily to the existing unit ?

JoeHeugh likes this.
  5. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Posting Addict

Now that is nice!
    Liking the scope. I've thought about those types of scopes before but they usually don't have Parallax adjust. Is it a case of it not being necessary on low mag?
    One more question... How did you make a bottle of wine last until 6am? Assuming you started in the evening and not the wee hours!! Was it actually 3 bottles of wine?? :D:D

shauny and JoeHeugh like this.
  6. JoeHeugh

Judging with the Mk I eyeball I would say the parallax error at x4 is about 1 inch at 10 yards and negligible at 30 and beyond. That sounds unacceptable but this is the error when moving the eye from blackout on one side of the scope to blackout on the other so with normal eye placement the error is small. Also I don't use eyepiece covers in the field so set at the right distance from the eye the eyebell makes a circle around the image and aligning the eye becomes instinctive. So I'm sure some would say it's a bad choice of scope but I don't expect any issues and it's one less thing to fiddle with, The image is in focus from about 8 yards and on.

It fits easier than it seems and you don't remove the trigger unit! Remove the stock, unscrew the trigger adjustment screw and take out the spring. Tap out 1 pin making sure you select the right side (so you need a suitable 2mm "punch") and remove old trigger blade. Fit new blade, this seems awkward because the the pin is very tight and makes you think you need to drill the hole out, you don't! Insert the trigger spring and new adjustment screw and reassemble the gun. With the gun uncocked the trigger will seem stiff and you will probably think you have messed it up but after a few shots it will be moving nicely. One caution, the weight of the trigger depends on the adjustment screw so have the rifle pointed down range when you take off the safety just in case it goes off.

hw99-trigger-mini.jpg

Oh, don't ask mate........

rabbitwrecker and Van Pelt like this.
  7. Van Pelt

Van Pelt Engaging Member

Thanks Joe :thumb:

JoeHeugh likes this.
  8. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Posting Addict

Yeah that sounds perfectly fine to me. Good choice. I was looking at other makes with a similar spec purely on price. Some nice scopes about.

JoeHeugh likes this.
  9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Enthusiast, HW97, K98 owner

Sleaford, Lincolnshire and Wales sometimes.
    Looks great. :up:

JoeHeugh likes this.
  10. JoeHeugh

The room the wife calls "the armoury" overlooks a graveyard which is full of rabbits and I was very impressed by how well the scope copes with low light conditions, it beats the 50mm objective on my cheap Richter Optics hands down and will keep me going to the point I'd normally be packing in.

The reticule is a simple duplex which gives me my PBR and ability to push that out to about 37 yards which really is past the max I want to use this rifle too as I'll be shooting offhand. If I intend shooting beyond PBR I'll use rimfire or the HW97 if I'm sitting with a stick. It will mostly be carried with the rimfire which will be fine, I've managed to keep the weight down to 8lb 4oz which is a little less punishing than the HW97k which is 11lb all in.

11. shergar

shergar Posting Addict

Plus one for leupold scope in low light. Mine is old M8 x 42. Shooting rats at dusk, couldn't distinguish target area with bare eyesight, but through scope baited area stood out clear. Keeping cross hairs central to image ring minimises parallax.

JoeHeugh and Fusty Fieldcrafter like this.
  12. Ian george

Ian george Engaging Member

Very nice mate.

JoeHeugh likes this.
  13. scoots

scoots Engaging Member

Lovely

JoeHeugh likes this.
  14. Godzilla

Godzilla Engaging Member

Sweeet 99! The whole setup looks lovely.

JoeHeugh likes this.
  15. waisted skirt

waisted skirt Donator

Those set back trigger blades make a big difference, nice rifle mate.

foxtrott and JoeHeugh like this.
  16. AlistairS

AlistairS Bad case of Gunitis

Very nice, good job :thumb:

JoeHeugh likes this.
  17. JoeHeugh

A quick update, these are the specs as they stand:

Overall length 45 inch
    Total Weight 8lb 4oz
    Length of pull 14.25 inch
    Muzzle energy 11.6 fpe (I will be keeping an eye on that)

Subject to testing:
    Near Zero 9.5 yards
    Far Zero 29 yards
    Max sighted range 36 yards (I'm not bench resting so that's right in my ballpark)

All of which fits very nicely with what I was looking for.

Thanks for the comments lads :)

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  18. Godzilla

Godzilla Engaging Member

Out on internet did you have to modify the barrel at all to for the mod?

JoeHeugh likes this.
  19. JoeHeugh

The foresight rails stand proud of the barrel so they do need filing down but it's easily done by hand and then follow up with a quick cold blue.

I guess it could be more involved if you wanted the work to be perfect but as the mods going to stay on the gun I wasnt too concerned. I'm very happy with the mod and the price mattw975 charged was competitive and a lot less than I expected.

I should point out though none of this work was actually necessary, the 99 is a fine rifle out of the box, I didnt do it to make it the rifle it should be, I did it to make it the rifle I wanted.

20. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Needs to be Loved...

No surprises - quality beats quantity every time. A most appropriate scope for a 99s. Enjoy it, a rig like that is hard to beat... :thumb:

JoeHeugh likes this.