1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

new career Maybe !

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Grumpyoldman, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Well This is something iv been considering for about a year now . So here is the situation . Grumps as some of you just may have noticed is slightly , ehhhhmmmm Special :rolleyes: or well a bit nuts . About 18 months ago i agreed to undergo counselling , Mainly because my GP asked me to to get an assessment before she would approve my FAC application . Standard for anyone with mental health issues and fair enough i think . Iv held FAC and SGC in the past by the way . Anywho all went well however i did point out to my doc that a 30 year old lass with limited life experience is probably a bit out of her depth with me . I see my GP quite regularly , cortazone injections and nerve damage problems and general getting old issues :rolleyes: last year after one of our conversations she asked if id ever considered doing a course and becoming a councillor myself . iv looked at course requirements and im considering it , the cons are . Im not sure id be able to switch of after work and would that be any good for my own issues and second there are a fair number of folk who play the depression card for state benefit purposes and im not sure how diplomatic i could be . got a lot of thinking to do on this one , any thoughts , any councillors in our mob offer any advice ?

2. harry brown

harry brown Banned

Personally I'd be very wary what I talk about to a doctor. This is difficult because sometimes we need and should talk to them. That said, it all goes down on their computer base and ten years down the line nobody knows why crap is on the system...But it is!

As for counseling other's, just reading others posts on forums does my nut sometimes never mind sitting in front of them giving a sh** about their relationships/problems.

Think you know the real answer Grumps. Stick to sorting us guys in line! :eek:

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I say go for it mate,

I would rather talk to a person who has experienced life's bad hand mentaly or physically, than someone who learned it in a classroom.

Similar to those who advise on how to raise children, but don't have children themselves:)

4. SniperSi

SniperSi Donator

I thought from the few days i met you, you were pretty happy grafting on the tools. Think you suit being a craftsman, could you imagine your self sitting on a chair listening/trying to sort peoples heads out all day??

5. SniperSi

SniperSi Donator

6. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I suppose it all depends what you think you would get out of it, and do you need or want this in your life?

Is it money, better hours/conditions, a sense of care or duty? Is it full time/part time, will it get in the way of your lifestyle?

I have a friend who does this full time and loves it, but he does not give a rats ass about the people he sees. Don't take this the wrong way though, he's good at it, but he says he has to leave work at work because he can't have other peoples problems dragging him down or he would be just like them. Another part of his job is just being there as a friendly face when the police get involved, or collecting them and taking them home when they have committed an offence or turned up drunk/high somewhere and the police just want them off their hands. So he deals with a mixed bunch.

So I'd also really find out what the job entails before you make a decision - is it someone to talk to type counselling, or is it a full blown crisis manager? the difference is massive.

I don't think I could do this, I'd be too tempted to tell the ones I did not see as genuinely ill to get a grip. I have this outlook on life that people who do not really try to help themselves do not deserve help, pity or care from others who they are basically taking advantage of, but you could be given the task to "help" these people even though you resented them.

A good example of this was in the papers last year when a huge lady was admitted to hospital as her weight was literally killing her (her fault in my opinion). Her daughter was sneaking her KFC "family bucket meals" into hospital because her mother was complaining the hospital was starving her. She died shortly afterwards and the daughter was in the papers complaining how bad the NHS and nurses were for letting her sneak food to her mother when they knew it could kill her!!! - How can you help people like this?

I know it's drifting off topic, but the idea is the same whether it's stress/mental health or just being a lazy gitt, it's hard to tell sometimes what is an illness and when are people just taking the easy option or a loan of the system. If this bothers you - don't do it. Only do it if you feel that helping just one person in their lives is worth taking all the crap from others.

I need a drink (but I've got work in the morning so can't!)

James

7. swsmith20

swsmith20 Donator

I think and its my own opinion. Grumps you seem to be a guy that has travelled and experienced a lot in life, more than most people ever will. You have a lot to offer people from all your experiences, good and bad. You need to think can you sit and listen to others whilst, you may not agree to what they said but can you "bite your tongue". I should think its probably a very rewarding career in a lot of ways but also a very challenging and emotional one too. Only you can decide, good luck.

8. doodsy

doodsy Donator

nothing ventured nothing gained grumps :rolleyes: good luck whatever you decide :)

9. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

So to try and answer all questions , Stevie making the point . I know a lot of older men experiencing mental health issues for the first time relay struggle with talking to Councillors for many reasons , Those reasons i understand . I have a couple of good friends who are occupational therapists who iv been discussing this with .Apparently there is a need for people with my skill set . there are more and more men seeking help with mental health issues than ever before Men tend to be more accepting of there own age group in this situation . Not giving a frk . well id struggle with that for sure but i think id be better at the job if i was capable of switching of from the genuine cases and the wasters . Think you burn out if you cant . As for pay and conditions , well the thing is my boss is a right Barsteward . No holidays . seldom weekends off up at 6am no more than 5 days off over xmas no overtime !!!! Im my own boss and il drive myself into the ground one day :rolleyes: Sort of answers Si,s question as well , Yup love my work but iv about knackered myself physically back knees elbows hands ! So a bigger picture for when i have to stop . It is going to have to be something im passionate about the clock is not ticking but im starting to think longer term . Bloody ell this all a bit grown up for Grumpy !

10. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

I think that is the funniest thing iv ever seen on the intermanet !!!:roflmao:

11. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

A mental health councillor with mental health problems:rolleyes:......thats about as daft as putting a multiple skull crushing murderer in a open prison

12. andy46

andy46 Donator

iv been down the same road with the councilling,and all can say is it did me the world of good,its takes a lot for a guy to ask for help,and guess what my councillor said to me that he didn't see me doing my current job for long,and maybe I should be going down the same road as you and becoming a councillor,not to sure though

13. sillygarry

sillygarry Posting Addict

grumps will you be able to give out pink floyd albums on prescription they solve my madness :D

14. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

I'm off to see my councillor today I know with out her I wouldn't be in the good place I am now. My Black Dog would have dragged me down. Grumps man I would love to have you as my councillor. Go for it mate if you can help one person go for it.

15. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    personally grumps, i would go for it. my advice tho, would be to keep your day job, and fit the building/restoration work around the relevant courses. this way, you are still earning a living whilst learning a new trade and skill. once qualified, you will then have enough experience and an insight into councelling to make an educated decisision as to whether you want to do it full time - if you do, then good luck, if you dont, then you can go back to your original trade. this way, you've lost nowt, but gained experience and qualifications.
    for what its worth, i think that the best councillors are the ones that have experienced the pain and grief that they are trying to help others overcome and work through.

16. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Black dog......Like it:cool: No, I aint being flippant.

17. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

18. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

19. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I just watched that, and I think it's pretty much cock on, "an equal opportunities mongrel" I liked that too. I might drop you a line later on.

20. coney

coney Engaging Member

We must be near the point soon where the Councillers out number the "clients".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.