1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New Bell Target Club, Safety Rules Feedback Required

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by NorfolkDave, Jun 12, 2019.

1. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Morning chaps and chapesses, your guidance please. The below are my draft safety rules for a new bell target club. Your views and any omissions on my part would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

The rules.

Please bear in mind that this is a new club and it's success or otherwise depends ultimately upon how we as a club operate and behave. The public have very strong reactions towards shooting and air rifles in particular attract negative press easily.

I don't wish to patronise anyone, and am aware that some very experienced shooters will be attending, but I have to assume from the beginning that you have no knowledge of shooting safety. Please accept my apologies for this, but it is absolutely necessary and there will be no exceptions.

The UK legal power limit for unlicensed air rifles is 12 foot pounds kinetic energy at the muzzle. We will be shooting at around half that level. Whilst these are classed as low powered air guns, they are still firearms in terms of the law. Any offence committed with one is hence a firearms offence and will be treated very seriously.

Treat every gun as if it were loaded at all times.

Only ever point a gun towards a target, never towards another person.

Never rely on a safety catch, they have been known to fail and the majority of target rifles do not have them.

Never look down the end of a barrel.

Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are "on aim" for the target.

If you are shooting a spring rifle, keep the barrel or lever physically restrained until it is returned to its original position. If you are unsure about this, please ask for a demonstration. It will be demonstrated on the arrival of any new member.

If you are transporting your own rifle to the venue, it must be kept in a slip or case until you enter. If you have it in a car, it should be kept in the boot and any ammunition in a separate part of the car, preferably a locked compartment.

If you are intending to bring your own rifle, it will be power tested using a chronograph to ensure it is suitable for this event. It's details including serial number if present will be recorded.

Initially only participants over the age of sixteen will be allowed. If you are lucky enough to look young, please bring photo id.

Only 0.177" lead pellets may be used. Steel ball bearings are absolutely forbidden. Due to the risk of ricochets from bearings, they will not be allowed inside the venue.

Never shoot if there is a person in front of you and never shoot over anyone's head.

Whilst shooting is taking place only the shooter is allowed in the shooting zone.

If anyone is considered to be shooting unsafely, shooting will cease and the rules will be further explained. If it is considered that any participant is unable or unwilling to comply with the rules they will be asked to leave the venue.

There is no noise hazard from shooting low powered air rifles.

The risk of ricochets from bell target shooting is absolutely tiny as the majority of the pellets energy is lost as it deforms on impact with the hardened steel target. If you do have concerns however, eye protection will be available.

Finally, lead is a poisonous material. Handle the pellets as little as possible, wash your hands thoroughly after shooting and before eating or drinking.

pjgtech likes this.
  2. norman

norman Donator

Hope it goes well Dave..:thumb:

We did get some "splashback" occasionally even with 6ft.lbs....are pcp's allowed...the AA 200 work well as a basic belltarget gun (target/6ft.lbs version) but a little noisy.A club chrono is always a good idea.Check the venue you use has the correct insurance...some insurance companies get twitchy when "guns" are mentioned.What back stop will you use...does it need to be put up/removed every session...a ballistic curtain?

Bell target in Norfolk...brilliant..:nana:

3. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

I think for the time being springers and ssps only. If it has legs, and we get some serious shooters pcps could be possible.

Good point about insurance.

I think I'll recommend the eye protection.

Backstop still to be sorted, but I'm thinking some free hanging heavy weight carpet?

Dave

4. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pepe Le Pew

Also worth adding a cease fire protocol

Felixlogs likes this.
  5. NeilnrLincoln

NeilnrLincoln Engaging Member

Sheets of airbag material is what our league uses (Kevlar?) as a backstop, makes a noise but it stops any stray pellet dead.
    We found splashback can be reduced by angling the target very slightly downwards.
    Why the over 16's rule? My 12 year old daughter has been shooting bell target since she was 10 and shoots on the same pub team as me and has better rifle discipline than some adults I've seen.

6. norman

norman Donator

Hi Neil,

Kid's are fine if they are supervised...i'm sure your lass is & understands airguns need to be handled responsibly..but not all parents are the same.When starting a club from scratch it's difficult enough without having concerns about junior's...i'm all for youngster's shooting but maybe once Dave's club is better established they could have an "open evening" for locals/kids to show what's going on at the club?Perhaps invite the local scouts/army cadet's...they will hopefully come with a responsible adult/leader to help monitor them....if a parent wants to bring their child along but leave it...who's trained to care for the sprog..?

7. Mike.lewis

Mike.lewis Donator

The under 16 thing is easy to sort, I'd do the same as we do at the club for kids, they have to be supervised by their parent/guardian at all times.
    We're not there as a child minding service, we will always help juniors learn to shoot but the parents have to be with them at all times.

norman likes this.
  8. norman

norman Donator

We tried this...too heavy/cumbersome...a ballistic (nylon?) curtain is easier ...a good archery shop will advise..stops a stray pellet dead...you would think it impossible to miss a belltarget face plate...newcomers find it difficult/intimidating sometimes & some guys just can't shoot straight ...full stop..:(

Pistol belltarget is fun too...larger hole for this though...:thumb:

Mike.lewis likes this.
  9. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

The under 16 rule is temporary, I've never done this before and I want to find my feet initially. Once I know what I'm doing, I absolutely want to get youngsters involved.

Dave

10. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Have just enquired about an archery backstop curtain and surprisingly not too expensive. I'm going to go and have a look, I can put one to good use myself anyway.

Dave

11. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Norman, are using the heavy duty or normal, just looked again and there's a massive price difference?

Dave

12. norman

norman Donator

Our club (Melbourne Marksmen) paid about £200 me thinks...that covers a stage about 4mtrs across...it makes quite a "whack" when guys miss the real target...:rolleyes:

The initial costs in setting a new club up are usually borne by the guys organizing it...you will/might get them back...but once running it's worth every penny to see guys enjoying themselves..& shooting airguns indoor's..:eek:

I'll be over that area sometime later this year..or early next...please put me down for membership..i'll chip in with set up costs if needed..:up:

13. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

That sounds like the heavy duty.

Open invite to any one visiting my neck of the woods.

Avoid February, I shall be in Antarctica, oh and October, Nepal and if it all goes to plan Borneo in may. Apart from that I shall mostly be at home. Gonna need a good committee. You can buy me a beer by all means.

Dave

pjgtech likes this.
  14. norman

norman Donator

You will need a good committee...if the venue had a snooker table as well you would never get rid of me...& a bowls green...:eek:

PS.not visiting...living there...:up:

15. brent

brent Engaging Member

Bell target guns should be under 6ft lb

16. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

17. norman

norman Donator