1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Need Your Help To Choose A Gun

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by CrazyPizza, Apr 19, 2020.

1. CrazyPizza

CrazyPizza Newbie

Hello!

I’m currently looking for getting my first air pistol (as a complete newbie). I have done some research in the past 4-5 days. My main reason to prefer a pistol over a rifle is the more compact characteristic of the pistol, although I’ve read it’s easier to learn with a rifle. We have quite a small yard (approximately 10x5 meters), so if I want to shoot at targets further than 10 meters, I have to take the gun to a place, where it’s possible (mostly by bicycle). Also, I see a better chance to get a reasonably good pistol in the 100 - 120 Euro price range. (The cause of this limited budget mainly is that I wouldn’t like to spend much more money for something, that I don’t know much about) I’ve read and watched a ton of reviews and forums about air guns, according to them the Crosman 2240 or 1377 would be a good choice, but I’m open to other suggestions. I don’t mind, that they’re single shot pistols, my main aspect is accuracy. I’ve would have some questions:

1. Which one is better for target shooting/plinking? Do the 2240’s bigger and heavier pellets have a significant effect on accuracy? (In our country 7,5 joules is the legal muzzle energy limit for airguns, which in case of the 2240 means 110-120 m/s muzzle velocity, by the 1377 it’s about 160 m/s).

2. Which construction is more durable? As my logic goes, the lesser the moving part is, the lesser problem could happen. Considering the pumping mechanism of the 1377, I’m a bit concerned that it might be a weak point.

3. How much and what kind of maintenance do these guns need? What is their estimated lifetime with regular usage?

4. And finally, a highly subjective question: Which gun is more fun to shoot overall? (the 1377 looks a bit front heavy)

Thanks for your help!

CrazyPizza

2. Tom A

Tom A Posting Addict

Have a look at the Wheirauch HW40. It should be right in your budget. It's accurate, well-made, and relatively compact. It's a single-stroke pneumatic, so no need for CO2 cartridges. It's a .177, which means cheaper ammunition as well. It's not a powerful pistol, but more than adequate for target and plinking shooting.

pjgtech and Reevo17 like this.
  3. Reevo17

Reevo17 Group therapy

Yup HW40 or the cheaper beeman copy

2240 is five but as co2 runs out accuracy and impact drops

1377 is good but pumping is annoying after a while and loud

Hw40

YepYep likes this.
  4. CrazyPizza

CrazyPizza Newbie

Thank you for your fast reply! I will check it out.

5. Modski66

Modski66 Busy Member

I had a 1377 for a while, I really got fed up with the multiple pumps required to get enough power. A single stroke pneumatic like the HW40 is definitely the right way to go, I have the Beeman P17 and have been very pleased with it.
    Another alternative for a bit more cash is the Gamo Compact, it has an anatomical grip, which is a definite advantage for "proper" target shooting with one hand.

Wild Bill and Reevo17 like this.
  6. YepYep

YepYep Busy Member

I have a 2240 and 1322 (similar aa his brother 1377, but on .22 caliber), plus P17 and HW40 and a P3 (Beeman version HW40)...

For accuracy, the P17 is close to the HW40, then HW40 is better than Crosman guns.

For power (plinking), HW40 will be a bit low vs 2240/1377, as the two Crosman can reach the speed and power limit to 5fpe... Or more easily if you mod it...

And the other advantage of a HW40 is it's surely much better built and trouble free shooting right from the box. The only thing you will need to do is just clean up the protective oil in the barrel... And if go for a P17, you have better strip it down and do a full tune ( cleaning, de-burr, polishing, re lube...) before shooting your first pellet. There are many instruction and how-to you can find from YouTube or just Google it...

Don't miss a beat, otherwise it would probably end up to cause every trouble you think of or not very soon. Mine truned into a part gun after about 2000 shots and in its life, I opened and repaired it for several times (maybe just every 300 shots, I had to opend it up and checked it out)... Learned everything about this design but have no chance to use that experience even once on my HW40 in the past two years I owned and keep shooting my HW40 and the last generation P3 I bought used.

Then a 2240/1377, watch out the deep hole of moding it.... As it's really not that good from the box (not bad at all either), but there are just too many aftermarket parts for you to mod and tune it better, and better, and better..... And then end up you will find the money you 'invested' would buy you 2 HW40 or more....

Cheers~ All listed pistols are good choice, maybe you just need to pick one you feels like....

Reevo17 likes this.
  7. pjgtech

pjgtech Top Poster

^^^ THIS ^^^ :D

singlespeedhec likes this.
  8. CrazyPizza

CrazyPizza Newbie

Thank you all for your help! :)