1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Need help hamerelli 550

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by buck hunter, Feb 3, 2014.

1. buck hunter

buck hunter Member

Right Guys,

Could do with some advice please I have the Hamerelli 550 air rifle and have heard alot of good things bout it.
    That aside I would like to tune it up abit my questions are.
    A. Whats the best way to do it and what to use
    B.Is it worth it
    C. Is it worth getting a better trigger if so which one?

Im no expert so any help guidence is much appreciated.

THANKS SAM

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Hi Sam,

What sort of tuning do you intend to do?

If it's anything to do with tuning the power side of it nobody will discuss it on the open forum (just letting you know that you might not get many replies)

It's just an unwritten code of conduct on AGF that we don't post information openly about this subject that may assist people in breaking the law! :)

If someone is willing to advise, it is possible via private message.

Other than power most 'tuning' is simply down to re-finishing the internals by removing dirt, sharp edges, de burring and polishing

then rebuilding using good quality lubes and maybe adding some after market parts that are better designed than the originals.

3. buck hunter

buck hunter Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply it wasnt really power I was after and understand the laws behimd this but appreciate your advice regarding the forum thank you. However I would like to use a tuning kit of some sort people use the woodfield kit with a welsh willy trigger would this be a good option for me? Can anyone recommend?

Thanks again Sam

4. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I have a Welsh Willy trigger fitted to my Stoeger x20, it is fully adjustable and a very worthwhile modification over the original!

5. paddyDT

paddyDT Active Member

I have a 550 (sold as a seeker kit).
    The stock trigger is pretty gnarly, so I fitted the Welsh Willy trigger. It makes a huge difference, but takes some getting used to. Its sensitive and whilst it adjusts, I can't for the life of me get much of a first stage.

Mind you, I have got used to that and the improvement to accuracy is noticeable. For £23 odd, its well worth it.

As for stripping and polishing, I find it already very smooth. Its something i'll do down the road.

6. gunsnlandies

gunsnlandies Posting Addict

The 550 is based on the BAM19 platform and is easy to improve for very little outlay. De-burr the internals. Polish the piston up. Polish the ends of the springs if flat. If one or both ends have been cut mid coil, just grind them flat before smoothing and a polish to finish. Fit a piston sleeve that will cut down the twang and hold the grease where it should be. You can improve the trigger let off if it is the same as a XS19. If you can get hold of a mountain bike chain link bearing or similar, you can put this over the green pin in the pic. The trigger should be pressed steel and not solid, allowing you access to the inside as you fit the pin back through its holes. This lifts the let off. It doesn't replace one of Will's trigger, but does improve it no end.
    XS19 trigger only.jpg
    Brian

7. buck hunter

buck hunter Member

Thank you Gunsnlandies,

Excellent help however im rather new to this and wouldn't be very confident on the stripping down part and making sure I do all the processes you've mentioned correctly. Is it costly getting a gunsmith or someone with the know how to do this? or is it actually rather easy yourself.?

8. hairyarms

hairyarms .

I have got a Umarex perfecta mod55 ,its the same trigger as yours.All I have done is put a longer adjustment screw in mine,take the old one out (its 3mm I think) and put a longer one in.You might have to file the new one down a bit but you will be able to adjust the trigger perfectly ,but be careful you don't make it a hair trigger!Ref tuning just put a piston liner in the piston that will stop the twang.If you search Piston liners/sleeves there are loads of threads about how to make and fit them.

9. paddyDT

paddyDT Active Member

WW trigger easy to fit.
    Have not trusted myself to strip a gun yet, but its on the to do list.

However my 550 has no noticeable twang. Very smooth. Just a quiet thud.

10. buck hunter

buck hunter Member

Is the WW Trigger easy to set up to think this is probably what ill go for first as gun seems to fire really well, what sort of improvement will I see with the new trigger??

11. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

It's very easy to fit and comes with full fitting instructions and diagrams showing what goes where.

It's true they are not a true two stage trigger but the sensitivity is adjustable with two grub screws.

Improvements are more sensitive trigger, less pull and a shorter stage before firing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  12. paddyDT

paddyDT Active Member

This. Its night and day. On my 550 factory trigger there was a huge first stage that for lack of a better word, ground its way to a release point that I never had confidence in would be in the same place twice. Sounds odd but that's how it felt.. The WW is super light and very predictable once you get used to it.

13. buck hunter

buck hunter Member

Excellent help have ordered a ww trigger cant wait for it to arrive and see the benefits.
    Thanks sam

14. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

Hi mate,my friend has had a hammerli 550 for a while now and he to has bought it as a kit also. Before you put a new trigger on it what was the accuracy like and what pellets do you use, he is struggling to get a decent group at 30 yards, rarely getting 5 shots in the space of 3x3 inches?

I know that it is not the greatest rifle in the world taking into account the price!

Any tips would be welcomed, thanks

Isaac

15. buck hunter

buck hunter Member

Hi mate,

I can get pretty tight groupings I use RWS super domes.

16. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

haha that's what he was using and they weren't working for him! must be just different

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

No,try some different pellets,if your friend is still struggling to get 3 inch groups at 30 yard the rifle is not worth owning,there is something wrong with it for sure :(

18. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

Well he has just started using accupells and the groups are a hit tighter but still not up to scratch, I know it sounds stupid but if you can imagine one of them balls from the a kids ball pit, (one of the many plinking targets that we use) he hits that 70% of the time from 30 yards, which is not great, and he would hit a bottle cap maybe 30% of the time.. what could be wrong do you think?

19. mattyts

mattyts Donator

get it over a chrono so we know your mate isn't just a crap shot ;)

20. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

Hahahah that's what I thought at first! And we have put it over a chrono and it is just under 10ftlbs,

I m no amazing marksman but I have more experience than him and I couldn't really group them either, could it just be the harsh recoil and heavy trigger that comes with the hammerli?