1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

name plaque

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by roy0110, Aug 22, 2014.

1. roy0110

roy0110 Engaging Member

i have an AA S400 i use for hunting.
    i really love this rifle and hope to continue using it for a good few years yet although i am getting on a bit at 50 :)
    in this next week or so i am expecting my first grandson to be born and family are looking to get birth gifts for him and it seems silver is the norm?
    so i was thinking of having a silver plaque made (or bought) with the child's name and DOB on it.
    firstly as a reminder for myself, but also to one day pass onto him when i am either too old and infirm, or he is at a reasonable age to use it responsibly.
    i hope having his details mounted on the rifle would encourage him to cherish and care for it as i have done.
    i have spoken to my son & daughter-in-law they are very happy for my grandson to inherit the rifle when the time comes.
    name of the child has not been revealed yet and there is no great hurry to acquire this (is plaque the right word?)

i have a few questions for any members that might have experience on the subject.

i thought of an engraved plaque but would that wear off in time?
    could it be stamped instead?
    where would i acquire the item?.... would be great if a fellow member did such a thing.
    size & shape ideas?
    best place to mount it? i was thinking somewhere on the stock.
    what sort of price is involved?
    any other things i should be considering?

appreciate anyone's thoughts and ideas on this.
    thanks for reading,
    Roy

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Nice sentiments! :up:

I think an 'inlay' would look nice with his name & birthdate on it just like GinB did their nameplate, would devalue the stock/gun though but if it's intended as a heirloom who cares!

3. bl4de

bl4de Donator

As above :rolleyes: I'd agree with Steve, Inlayed into the Stock would look so much better than just placed on the woodwork. personally I' get it Freehand engraved also ( Bit more personal than Block letters ! )

4. mrs bl4de-rr1

mrs bl4de-rr1 Engaging Member

I agree, have name and birth date hand engraved onto silver plaque and have it inlayed into stock. This would be long lasting more so than any other method .

5. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Shotguns are often personalised with a small silver oval let into the base of the stock which would be too small for the information you would like to include. If you went for something let into the side of the stock then which side would you put it - he might turn out to be left handed! Maybe the best place would be the base of the pistol grip section which should be ok for size.

6. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Same, nice touch Roy ;) a plaque/inlet in the shape/style of a scroll rolling open would look tasteful (and you could always have two made the same, just leave one blank ?)

7. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

That is a wonderful Idea Roy and would be something truly unique and thoughtfull.

As the others have said above have a silver plate engraved and sunk into the stock for best effects.

Just one thing I would say though, a S400 may not be the best rifle for this, Dont get me wrong I love my S410 and its easily my best rifle, But they are not What I would call a gun that will last through the ages.
    I would be more tempted to do it with a springer of some kind, A HW97K or something similar maybe? They also tend to look more "ornate".

Just a thought :)

8. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Silver medallion inlet into the base of the pistol grip should see you rite although as "Titchgamer" said a nice tuned springer might be a more durable option with pcp's being what they are (pcp's seem to go out of date were as springers seem to have a much longer life expectancy) a "SFS tuned 95k" springs to mind if you'll forgive the pun !...;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  9. roy0110

roy0110 Engaging Member

well little jack was born yesterday and i'm so chuffed.
    i did think of getting him his own gun which could have been a springer, but he wont be using it for quite some years so i might as well wait until the time comes and get him something new.
    but my point was to pass on a personalised heirloom, something that i have owned & loved, and intend to continue to use for some more years yet, thats why it has to be the S400.
    surely a popular and quite simple rifle as the S400 will be perfectly serviceable for the next 20 years at least?
    i like the idea of an inlay in the bottom of the pistol grip, just need to find somewhere that makes them.
    thanks for all your input guys.
    regards,
    Roy

10. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Not to put a dampner on things but in 20 years airguns will prob be banned or limited to license holders just a thought ifyour wanting to pass little jack some thing on what about a nice knife with the blade etchedwith name ect or engraved

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  11. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

I'm doing this on all my springers for the boy now! Good idea.

12. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

V-mach offer engraving (at a cost :D) could try engraver (elliot) on here see how he can help you

13. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

He may grow up to dislike shooting, premium bonds might be a better option? ;)