1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

My trigger release technique is crap!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Cam., May 24, 2015.

1. Cam.

Cam. Registered

Please, will any of you give me your preferred methods for trigger release!

I went out into the garden yesterday to practice with my TX200HC! Sat and rested I could and could get 1/4" ish groups at 22 yards. But then I would get flyers that opened the group to just under 3/4"

I am using Defiant pellets and there was no discernible wind, so I am putting the inconsistent performance down to me!

Many thanks

Cam

2. trumpetier

trumpetier Very Active

Practice;) having said that, ive been shooting springers 25 years and still get fliers:eek: its part of the appeal :rolleyes::D

3. brit solder

brit solder Member

OK Mukka I'm new to air rifles but not to shooting and this is a bit hard to explain in words
    1. DON'T snap the trigger
    2. before you take the shot and your breathing when you breath out take a bit of slack of the trigger Im taking it you got a two stage trigger
    3. Breath in and out a bit more once you breath out hold your breath and squeeze the trigger don't pull squeeze it
    4. Hold breath until your target is hit
    5. DO NOT just let the trigger go gently relase it under control
    6. Repeat over again
    Sorry is this is a bit hard to under stand it's hard for me to explain this in words try looking at the army markman ship principles on you tube it may help

4. Speed

Speed Busy Member

have you pellet tested? maybe its the pelets giving you fliers, try something like aa fields/jsb they tend to work well in most guns,

5. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Mind you 3/4" is a only a tad bigger than a 5p bit.

with a springer, I would be chuffed with that:)

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  6. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Don't curl your thumb around the grip, keep it upright & in the middle, then each shot you squeeze the trigger between your thumb & forefinger, like you were pinching something to see how soft it was.

Maybe you do it like this anyway, but at least it takes one variable factor out of the equation.

7. davejenzen

davejenzen Donator

don,t know if this is relevent or not,but here goes only had my tx200hc for a few weeks been down the range half a dozen times and thinking lots of first stage quite heavy second stage on the trigger but carried on blaming the wind for my mediocre groupings,then thinking it seemed a bit twangy. so i pulled it apart cleaned and greased and wotnot. was real surprised too find i now had shortish first stage and a really light secound stage,proper grease i expect but a much nicer gun to shoot and easier too

8. stryder5

stryder5 Donator

Shooting thumb up as above helped me, as it is a direct squeeze on the trigger.

9. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

Get the trigger set properly they can be Censored out the box and spongy which don't help. Once set they can be v good but not quite a rekord unit. Get that sorted then practice

10. Speed

Speed Busy Member

ive had to lighten the trigger on every gun ive owned, i have them light with no 1st stage

11. HEY HEY ITS HENDO

HEY HEY ITS HENDO Active Member

......... :/

12. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Imagine you are squeezing yor fore finger and thumb together rather than "pulling" the trigger, and keep it held back until you see the target go down,( follow through) you can influence the gun while the pellet is still in the barrel, its harder to do than it sounds, but if you are getting flyers its probably pellets.

13. milek

milek Honorary Member

What are you consciously doing to put the problem down to trigger technique?

14. Critanime

Critanime Donator

How are you holding the gun?

The only reason I ask is because I thought a lot of my issues came from the way I was using the trigger. Until someone pointed out I was holding the gun too tightly. And suggested I lookup the artillery hold for springers. Now I am a lot better. Not great, because I am still new to it all, but I found my accuracy increased because I started not holding it so damned tight. In fact I have stopped using rests and such because I find it more comfortable now to simply use myself as the rest for the gun. Even sat down at a bench I get myself into a comfortable position and shoot.

15. Cam.

Cam. Registered

Many thanks to you all.

I use the "artillery hold" but it's my grip on the pistol grip (trigger) seems to be the problem. (I think)

Also, I am resting the fore end on some plastic foam that I have taped together, I wonder if this could accentuate any inconsistency?

I don't think that it's the pellets. Defiants are IMO, the most consistently pellet I have seen. I also use AA 8.4's with similar results.

I am going to try the thumb up technique.

Many thanks again.

Cam

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  16. twodoctors

twodoctors Engaging Member

I have to agree with Critanime... is it just the trigger that the problem. Is your hold good enough? How are you interpreting artillery hold? Shooting my SYNSG-clone (or Hatsan 55s), I find that I still need to hold the front-end of the rifle for any kind of accuracy. I shoot benchrested, and wears a target shooting glove. Tried rifle resting on my "open palm" or "cupped hand", which didn't work as I was getting inaccuracy at windage level. Holding the rifle firm (but not death grip) tightens the group a lot. If I get everything right I can do sub-1/2 group ctc at 25 yrds. As you shoot a decent rifle, unless you are obviously snatching the trigger, the trigger pull is unlikely to be the problem.

It might be worth looking up "natural point of aim" on google and try to practice it. Shooting is easy to learn but difficult to master.

Good luck!

Adrian

17. Cam.

Cam. Registered

Hi Adrian

Many thanks for your post!

I THINK it is my trigger release. My son has just bought a 6004 FAS pistol. I used to be good at c/f pistol target shooting, now I keep flinching the shots on the FAS. I wonder if subconsciously I am doing the same with the TX?

I am going to follow your suggestion and rest the TX on my hand rather than on the plastic foam thingy.

Many thanks Adrian (and others)

18. David M

David M Donator

With the rifle unloaded, hold the crosshair on a spot at 25 yards and practice pulling the trigger over and over. If the crosshairs move off target at all then it's your trigger control, if you can consistently pull the trigger and keep the crosshairs smack on target then I'd try a pellet selection pack.. As you improve, I'm sure you'll achieve that group out to 35 yards though with a TX200. You'll get a different zero using a springer off hand to it being rested on something. I always zero my springers with them gripped lightly in a cupped hand, then if I use sticks as a rest I have the gun laying between thumb and forefinger and grip the sticks with my little and ring fingers.....:up:

19. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I've received three bits of advice from different forum members over the last few months which have greatly improved my accuracy when using both PCP and springers:
    1. To use the suggested finger and thumb squeeze method rather than gripping the stock too tightly.
    2. To just push the butt gently with my shoulder rather than pull the rifle into it.
    3. Not to press my cheek too hard onto the butt but use the lightest of contacts. ( I am of course referring to my face not my a***e! ;) )
    hth
    Dag

20. twodoctors

twodoctors Engaging Member

Great advice. The key would be to do 2 and 3 with the same force, and consistently... which is the difficult part!

Adrian