1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

My scope is possessed.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by dancza, Apr 28, 2014.

1. dancza

dancza Donator

Hi All.

I've came to the conclusion that my Hawke Eclipse AOIR is in fact the work of the devil.

The scope came fitted as stock to my 97KT and to begin with the rifle shot beautifully. I got it zeroed and was hitting 5p coins at 30ish yards all day long.
    The next morning however everything went to pot. The first shots I took ended up going about two inches to the right of the target, My first thoughts were that it was probably me making mistakes so I did no alterations to the scope and carried on thinking that I might have been rushing my shots. 20 pellets later and off came the scope caps and I adjusted accordingly, Right! Bang on target! Another thirty or so pellets through it and I'll call it a day.

Woke up the next morning had a shot and guess what? Two inches right and a tad low. How the hell did this get out of zero overnight??
    Re-zeroed again and noticed that for some reason my scope decided it wanted to work the complete opposite way as it did the day before. So instead of clicking left to get back on target I was clicking right.

Then yesterday (level but left this time) I could see that after two or three shots it would start creeping left again until it was off of my target. So I aimed about an inch right and bang... Bullseye.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It seems to be fine one minute then the next day it's like it has never been zeroed. What's happening to my scope overnight:confused:

On the plus side I now know why it's called an AOIR scope. It's the noise you'll be making when you take the darned thing out the next day.

Any help/Exorcist's would be greatly appreciated.

2. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

had it with 2 sidewinders !!!! basically if that model works on first focal plane , eg ret etched on a lense and held in place by the adjustment springs , there not strong enough especially at the edges of adjustment range , if bought new just send it back to Deben , they replace it free :up:

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Okay, before you assume the worst, check that the mounts are tight, both the clamps that hold them to the scope rail and the straps that hold the scope tube.

As mentioned above, it may be kaput, but it's worth a try first so make sure that's the case.

[​IMG]

4. dancza

dancza Donator

Yeah I've tightened the mounts as there was a very small amount of give in them but it's still happening. I'm going to give the Airgun Centre a call tomorrow and see if they can replace it. It's a shame as when it did work it was beautiful and clear. It's beginning to get embarrassing now though.. My uncle has an old Tasco scope and he's never had any issues with it.. He also like gloating.

5. dancza

dancza Donator

Thanks Grumpy! Quite relieved that I'm not the only one who has suffered with this. I bought the gun from the Essex airgun centre which has a lifetime guarantee so hopefully they should sort it out. I just hope its not recoil that's causing the problem. Thanks for the help Grumps!

6. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Oh your sorted then Air gun centre are the best in the business for after care . all ways have been :up: im shying away from all singing all dancing scopes as i got a few Sidewinders and MTCs , they cant perform to the spec for the price . The issue you have has driven me a bit mental over the last couple of years , had 2 second hand and 1 new sidewinder with that exact issue

7. jantar

jantar Donator

Springers tend to shock the hell out of scopes and any looseness will cause movement. Sounds to me that either the scope mounts are not secure or the scope reticle itself is loose. Both are common faults and the best way to see if it is the scope or mounts is to change them to a set of good quality mounts and a scope known to be accurate.
    I can probably help you out with a set of mounts, if I have your type, seeing as I have quite a few spare sets and that I now only use the SportsMarketing ones. All of the ones I have never had creep problems.
    Tasco......yep very good quality despite any age of them. Can you borrow a scope and mounts?
    Let me know by PM if you are interested in mounts.
    ;)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  8. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

The tracking on some Hawke scopes can be awfull ive had panoramas that would take more clicks then needed to change left/right the correct amount then all of a sudden the zero will overshoot and i would have go back the other way, on these problem scopes i do very small adjustments over time then i dont have an issue.

If your shooting out in outside make a little streamer/flag and put it near the target to see if the wind could be pushing the pellet one direction.

9. dancza

dancza Donator

Hi Akita, That's exactly what is happening to my scope! I'll adjust three clicks to the left and nothing happens. Then I'll go two more clicks to see if that'l help the zero and then Twang! Waay off to the left.. It's extremely frustrating.

I thought it could've been the wind too but even on calm days its the exact same thing.

10. dancza

dancza Donator

All right fella's I went to the Essex Airgun Centre today about the dodgy scope and they straight away issued me another scope no questions asked. It's the same model I think but this one is 4-16x50. I rushed home thinking that I'd finally got it sorted and quickly set up a piece of cardboard with a brick at the bottom holding it in place.

First shot- High and left. Right now to start the zeroing!
    Six clicks low adjusting slowly one click at a time.. Smack! Hit the brick.. never mind lets have another go.. Smack! Hit the brick again.

I then adjusted three clicks upwards. two more shots these were a bit better still crazy low but we're on the cardboard now. I decided to adjust another three clicks upwards and guess what? Smack! hit the brick. Another shot-Smack! Brick...

I've also noticed that with a few of the shots the trigger on my 97 has been getting a bit slack. It was similar to the feeling of squeezing the trigger before it is cocked/loaded.

By this point I've given up doing things the proper way and decided to adjust 20 clicks low. Just to see if there's any change. To be fair it didn't hit the brick this time.. It hit the grass before the brick, So I know that it is reacting to downward adjustments. But I cant get the damned thing to raise and stay there!

There is also next to no wind here tonight to affect the pellet's flight. Am I really that unlucky with scopes or (More worryingly) could the gun be to blame?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.. Right now I've got more chance humanely killing a rabbit with my golf driver then my rifle. :(

11. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

What distance where you shooting the cardboard and what calibre?

12. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You have to think about zeroing differently you need to make the scope point where the pellet hits.
    If your gun were locked solid in one place with no scope fitted all the pellets would group somewhere.
    Then you come along and fit a scope the scope is going to need to point at the point the pellets hit with little adjustment to the turrets.
    It sounds like the rear of your scope needs shimming up.
    Old 35 mm film or Ali foil is the best stuff although many things can be used. You might try swapping your mounts around. But there are some scopes that when fitted to air rifles just have to be shimmed.
    http://www.hawkeoptics.com/user/chairgun/help/scopeshims.htm
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  13. dancza

dancza Donator

Hi Akita, I always zero my scope at 20 yards and the rifle is in .177. I don't think it is.. but I'm really hoping it isn't a spring issue.

14. dancza

dancza Donator

Hi Andy, Thanks for the info. I've tried everything to zero this scope even intentionally zeroing it the wrong way but it just refuses to raise to the target and stay there.The best I got it was pellet on pellet for two shots onto the cardboard to the right of my target but then the third shot was hitting the brick again. I'll take a look into shimming the scope but either way it should still adjust when I click the turrets up/down shouldn't it?

Thanks for the help.

15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

It can be hard to tell if the scope is adjusting or not when you are very close and miles out of zero, before you run out of travel. You need loads of clicks to move zero a little way.
    You maybe used to a scope that has a much coarser adjustment?

You often need to get fairly near without adjusting the scope from its centre settings.
    Especially with these scopes as the zero can creep when on the edge of adjustment.

If it were me I would remove any silencer I had just incase it were clipping and make sure I had decent scope mounts fitted.

Put both turrets on the scope back to the middle. Count the clicks.

Shim the scope up a good bit at the back until you got fairly near and then start again.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  16. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Why don't you shoot a group of twenty (single marked aim point) and post it on here it might help others to advise what might be going wrong. Have you an old scope that is behaving okay? Or can you borrow one?
    It sounds to me like possibly something untoward with the rifle is happening, R10 mentioned clipping, left to right movement isnt likely to be power related otherwise I might have suggested a pistol seal problem affecting power output. I am assuming the rifle isnt dieseling or otherwise misbehaving?

17. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Are. Sure its the scope and not the barrel ie the crown or clipping he moderator if you have one on

18. Bruno27

Bruno27 Engaging Member

When adjusting the turrets, I gently hit the scope with the plastic handle of a screw driver to make sure the adjustments have found their set position.
    Hope this help.

19. dancza

dancza Donator

Hi Ozzy, I borrowed my uncle's older Tasco scope today and gave that a whirl. It was a slight improvement but I actually ran out of updward scope adjustment before it was anywhere near zero, It topped out at 65 clicks up and I was still a good 3-4 inches low.

I'm fairly certain that it is still running full power. Two weeks ago I had it regreased and it was running at 11.96ftlb. I did notice that when I did some testing last night the trigger started going a little light. It's fine today though. Tomorrow night I'll stick the Hawke back on and upload some pictures of my results.

Thanks for all of the help though you guys are a bunch of legends.

20. dancza

dancza Donator

Hey Andy,

Possibly. The first problem scope used to noticeably move with each click, This newer one however barely moved at all and then when it was getting closer it completely dropped again. I do have a moderator on there but it is only the stock Weihrauch one. I'll have a look online and see if it can be removed.

I'll stick some pictures up tomorrow of my results with the replacement scope as it is and after some adjusting. Hopefully you're right and it just needs more clicks then my last one.. I've read that some people have had problems with barrel droop on some of these later HW's, I'm hoping that's not the case here.

Thanks for the help so far Andy. I hope you don't start charging me for this! :D