1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Scopes My scope appears to lose focus....Often!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Andy Wales, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I have a Hawke Sport HD HK3008 3-9x40 Mil dot scope mounted on my Hatsan Mod 60s. The scope was bought brand new and seems to work just fine for the £40 I paid for it along with the free mounts :p and is very accurate etc. The problem is I seem to have to re-focus it a LOT, without changing the magnification at all :eek: I was wondering is it the vibration caused by the recoil of the 60s and is there anything that can be done about it, short of buying a new scope? Also, I used to use it with a mag of around 6-7 at a distance of approx 30-35 yds and though I was making quite good, small groups often, I find that at a mag of just 4, I am even more accurate again (especially with RWS Superdomes), although of course it is a lot harder to see the target (paper) at 35 yds or so. Why would that be? Anyway, loss of focus is the main question :rolleyes: This has been bothering me from day one really, but I kept forgetting to ask about it until now :rolleyes:

Oh, I should add that ALL mountings are done up tightly and I have checked them carefully several times but it still happens, often every shot I have to re-focus a little. Also, the Hatsan has a good stop at the rear of the rifle so I'm pretty sure the scope can't move backwards as I keep it right back to the stop. Thanks.

Regards,

Andy :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

There should be a locking ring system,undo and re tighten that,should solve the problem if it's recoil turning something inside.

Also,hold the scope objective lense down when making adjustments since the nitrogen purged in your scope is lighter than air,should you accidentally break the seal keeping the nitrogen in,it shouldn't escape.

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

That model has fixed parallax; so unless it's been adjusted will be out of focus to some degree at all ranges that aren't 100yds. I assume you're struggling to get the crosshair and target in focus at the same time and that the problem is worse on higher mags ;)

Remedies are to adjust the PX yourself, or chop the 'scope in for one with adjustable PX (the adjustable equivalent is the HK3022).

There's plenty of info about PX etc on the forum :)

4. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

You assume correctly :) It will focus both crosshair and target reasonably well, but as soon as I fire the gun, I often have to re-focus again, (every shot I guess is more accurate :() before taking the next shot. I find on Mag x4 this tends not to happen hardly at all. I will probably be buying a new scope with AO soon, so I guess this is how the PX problem is fixed from reading other posts?

What's the difference with a "Fixed" focus scope? I know what it means, from close range to infinity. What I mean is what are the benefits to using one for both Target and Hunting? Which is better all round I guess?

Regards,

5. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, as the others say you will find an AO scope better on your hatsan and some decent mounts or 1 mount with a locking stud, a shockproof one as well. i have a nikko sterling AO on my CZ634 set and zereo at 25mtrs, then i use the hold over/under method depending on distance. i do prefere hawke scopes but i dont use the springer much so my PCPs have a 3x9 x40 AO and 3x9x50 AO hawkes.

6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I have the same scope mounted on a 60 and have no problems, the scope has been manually parallaxed to 30 yards though, this takes only a few minutes to do - the gun is as accurate as anything in the springer class, even my niece hits a 40mm spinner at 35 yards consistently and she isn't a very experienced shooter.

7. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Don't know about parallaxed as mine is more like bolluxed lol :D. And yes, the Hatsan is a very accurate rifle for sure. Even I can do reasonable small groups with the scope as it is and I'm getting better all the time the more I get back into it. 30 years away from it is a long, long time :eek:. How is a scope manually parallaxed and is it something I could do at home, or does it need fettling at a gunshop/rfd? And do I want to do it lol? If it's complicated or involves handing over more cash than the scope cost (£40 with the mounts), I think I'll pass and just re-focus it every shot or whatever :rolleyes:

8. RTX

RTX Engaging Member

9. RTX

RTX Engaging Member

I just noticed you are in South Wales, if you're not too far from me i'd be happy to give you a hand with it if you want?

10. Patrick

Patrick Donator

The scope you purchased was parallax corrected to 100yds at the factory which isn't really suitable for airgun ranges.It needs re-parallaxing to say 30yds,this is done by adjusting the object lens(front lens).To do this you have to loosen the front bezel so you can adjust the housing that the front lens sits in.A word of caution though,I believe Hawke use some kind of sealant on the threads which can make it difficult to undo.To re-parallax at 30 yds you need to set up a target at that range the look through the scope and move you head from side to side until the reticule stays in same position and doesn't shift its position.you might have to unscrew it a turn or two possibly but if you're not confident about doing it perhaps it's best left to someone who's done it.Personally I think parallax adjustable scopes are best for airguns but if you don't want to shell out on one get the scope got re-parallaxed.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  11. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

If you are having to refocus after each shot it sounds like something is moving,tighten the eye bell up although i cant see it effecting it that much with one shot, in all probability if you are having to refocus after each shot your scope is knackered.

12. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

I would say a scope problem as well.
    As for shooting on a lower mag setting, think about your MK1 eyeball that in its present form has been around for many years!
    It works on a 1 to 1 relationship with your other senses and your muscles, try holding a pencil at arms length and sighting onto a target using the tip, easy eh? Now try with a magnifying glass and you'll wobble. Using a high mag, particularly on a springer can cause your muscles to do all sorts of funny things to maintain a good sight picture, they'll over compensate and you'll get extra wobbles, that will make you shoot worse and lose confidence.
    Start on low mag settings and work up slowly, you'll soon find what your eyes and body are comfortable with.
    Regards
    Tim

13. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I've been out at daybreak the last two mornings and just kept the scope on x4 mag and no problems at all. It never loses focus, the FOV is of course much bigger and I shoot far more accurately too :p. Free standing shots are so much more accurate as I can keep far more still and I'm even starting to get used to the weight of the Rifle free standing too! I assume it's because of much less chance of moving at such a low mag? I'm tempted into buying a fixed mag scope and seeing how I get on with that. Are fixed mag scopes a lot harder to be accurate etc with, as you can't zoom a target/quarry in closer? I must do some research into this as I don't know much about fixed mag to be honest.

14. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I think it was 177 who said in one of his threads that some people hunt on 9 or 12x because they were told to when they first started out but in actual fact,may prefer lower mags like 4 or 6x which in your case seems to be true :)

I don't think accuracy is lost in lower mags,millitary snipers use 10x at over 1,000 yards so I don't see an issue there,you also have less blur on lower mags,the image seems brighter and you can't see every tiny movement like you do on high mag,target acquisition is also faster.

I personally wouldn't use a fixed mag,I'd get something like a 3-9 or 4-12 then wind it out,a lot of people do that too.

15. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    personally, if you wanted to shoot on a lower fixed mag, i would keep your current scope on the 4-6 mag setting and see how you get on. why purchase another scope, when yours is fixed mag if you leave it alone ?. you already know that you shoot better on 4x mag, and theres no problem with the scope at this setting, so leave it at that - you always have the option of 'fine tuning' the magnification if needed (which you cant do with a fixed mag scope).
    if you get used to the fixed mag, and you later decide that you want to invest in a new fixed mag scope, then you can, knowing that its the right decision, whereas if you bought now, you're jumping in blind without knowing exactly what you want, and may (or may not) regret it.
    hope all this makes sense mate, just seems logical to me to find out what you want first

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  16. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

I do all my shooting with fixed mag scopes, I find them a lot less hassle and more reliable than a scope with all the bells and whistles and cheaper to boot !...

I used to have scopes with AO, mildot, half mildot, bdc turrets, IR and anything else you can think of now I use a "Hawke 4x40 Sport HD" one thing I will say though is be careful about the recoil of your Hatsan as it'll wreck a scope before you know it !...

I would suggest you set the scope to your preferred mag and then tape the mag adjuster collar in place to stop you playing with it and see how you get on for a while before lashing out money on another scope !...:up:

Just a quick note, some of the cheaper variable mag scope aren't very reliable as in if you change magnification a lot of the time the p.o.i can change as well !...:down:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  17. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Good advice thanks guys. I will just keep it on x4 mag for a while then and maybe try 4.5 - 5 some time to see if I can still hold the rifle steady enough for good accurate shots while free standing. There's more often than not nothing around to rest the rifle on when hunting and you have no choice but to be steady as possible and trust yourself that you can take a humane shot first time. I think it's a lot to do with confidence in your ability too, and this is improving every time I go out recently. Just takes a little time and patience after being away from Air Rifle shooting for 30+ years ;), but I'm getting there :). And as Steve said, at x4 mag that I seem to like using, there's no point wasting money on a fixed focus/mag scope.

18. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Have you not tried taking shots in the kneeling position,that should give you more stability.When I used to do a bit of rabbiting years ago I had one of those black plastic builders buckets which I removed the handle from and attached a piece of cord so I could sling it over my shoulder when carrying it and It made a good seat when sitting waiting to ambush rabbits.You then had something to carry your kills in when you'd finish.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014