1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

My pair of refurbished BSA Meteors...

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by bhodge, Jan 12, 2014.

1. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

Having spent several months trying to find a BSA Meteor (the air rifle of my youth!) to refurbish, I eventually got myself a Mk5 in .177 that was in a pretty sorry state...It had 'everything' wrong with it - plus 'floppy jaws'. It was my intention to spend the winter months doing the gun up. It didn't work out that way - I corrected the floppy-jaws, cleaned, polished & relubed the internals, fitted a new spring (the standard Meteor type), a PTFE piston sleeve was next. In addition the entire gun was scrubbed back to bare wood/metal, several coats of Ronseal Dark Oak satin wood stain varnish, and several coats of cellulose Tungsten metallic spray paint finished the gun off. Fundamentally, I didn't want the gun to be bog standard BSA colours, I wanted it to be different, but still look the part.
    Well, the .177 was completed within a week of me owning it! So much for the 'Winter project'.... I had to get another one!!
    On new years eve it arrived, a Mk5 .22 in very much better condition than my first one... My decision was already made, the whole gun would be stripped down and treated to exactly the same work as the first one. There were a couple of issues that I'd not come across with this one though - firstly, the trigger pin had been cut down so as to make it totally unstable. Secondly there was a hell of a 'crack' sound everytime the gun was cocked. It seemed to me that the cocking lever was banging against the forestock as the trigger engaged - I was correct, a 12mm x 25mm piece of 3mm thick leather was glued in place at the very front of the cocking groove and that sorted it. The trigger issue took seconds to fix, I unscrewed the trigger adjustment screw & pushed out the remnants of the original pin, a new pin was cut to size and put in place. The adj screw replaced and the job was a good-un!
    The 1st gun (.177) puts out 7.5fpe with RWS Superdomes, and the 'new' gun (.22) is 7.2fpe with RWS Hobby pellets. I'm more than happy with these results because the reason for tackling the first refurb was pure nostalgia. Both guns are super smooth to cock & shoot and its a pleasure to use them.
    Just a matter of waiting for the new scope to arrive for the .22, then I'll have a matching pair (apart from the fact the .177 is a Super & the .22 a Standard Meteor).
    Pair of BSA Meteors.jpg
    Top gun = .177
    Lower gun = .22 (a process of elimination there folks!)

2. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

That clack noise on cocking has always p****d me off. Thanks for the simple fix tip.

3. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Nice thread..... KB1

4. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Loooooveeerrlyy mate

5. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

very nice pair of bsa"s , i do enjoy putting these old legends back to use , atb Dave

6. OLD GIT61

OLD GIT61 if no spring it wont do a thing

bhodge nice pair of guns ,and well worth the time you put in to them.

7. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

Well done mate they look brilliant.
    Have you shot them much.
    I'm only asking as I shot mine yesterday properly for the first time and it was rubbish
    I could not hit an a4 sheet at 10 yards.
    I put a nice 4x32 scope on adjusted the hight to maximum still could not hit the paper.
    Aimed 3 feet above at 10 yards and hit the bottom of the paper.
    My barrel was drooping donwards. I was gutted.
    Then I checked the barrel my wedding ring had scratched off some of my paint finish.
    I will need to try something more durable than BBQ paint it looks good but scratches to easily.
    Im hoping you have used yours and the car paint is more durable.

The trigger on my meteor is shocking the pull is so hard people who shot it thought it would not fire its that
    Stiff .
    Any advice you have on getting a nicer trigger would be great .

When I got home I was p****d right off after falling in love with my we restoration meteor
    New spring .o ring .buffer washer. end cap . Hw 35 breach seal I was happy when I chronod it st 9.5fpe
    But now gutted.
    I stewed for an hour then decided to have another look the barrel was not locking up right
    I skimmed the seal and that done the trick no more droopy barrel positive lock up.
    Just needs the trigger sorting and painted in the summer or in warmer weather.

I might try a piston sleave like yourself mate.
    I made one for my mercury out of a relentless energy drink can its the thinnest metal I could find
    But the spring touches it.
    Should it or should the spring still move freely. I have never made one before and was going to leave it out.
    When I pull the spring out sometimes the sleave comes with it .
    Any advice on the proper size space and the fit of a piston sleave would be much appreciated

I just want my we mk5 to shoot sweetly if anyone can help
    Cheers
    David

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I too was hacked off with the trigger pull on my mk4 super (mk 5 with a cheek piece) and decided last week to do something about it. First I took the trigger out and noticed some spring tar I had used on the spring had got onto the piston where it engages the sear. So cleaned that off and tried again. Definitely better but still very stiff. So I took to rubbing all contact points of the trigger sear with 600 wet n dry used dry,
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Just enough to give an even finish and take off any high points. Then lubed these parts with moly paste
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Put it all back together and now have an acceptable trigger. No it's not good but it's def better and now useable.
    I used this rifle to good effect on a feral pigeon shoot last year so accuracy isn't bad at all. Not the best by any means but up to the job.

The trigger on my mk 1 meteor is still streets ahead and here's a group I shot with it last week at 15 yards.
    Damn! I deleted the pic but lets just say a 2p coin would have been hit with every shot. Try the trigger polish but be careful don't go too far as things can get dangerous.

9. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

Hi mate,
    trigger issues... now don't quote me on this - but I think its directly related to the power that the gun is producing! In my opinion Meteors perform best when they're running below 8.3fpe. When I was refurbing my first Meteor I ensured that the replacment spring was a Chambers 'standard' type - 240mm long, & 34 turns of (approx) 3mm wire. This gives a reasonable amount of pre-load without stressing the internals too much. The purpose of the first refurb was get the gun shooting 'nicely', the output power was of no consequence to me....I don't hunt, I plink & target shoot, I do a bit of FT - but I use my 'Real' guns for that. My thinking being 'if, on completion of the project, I could hit what I'm aiming at at a max range of 25yds then its been worth while'. Well I achieved that, the power from my .177 was 7.5fpe - which is more than enough. See photo below - 5 shots at 20yds using Superdomes. All 5 shots can be covered by a 5p coin.
    When I started my second refurb (.22) I decided to treat it exactly the same way as the first project. So another Chambers standard spring was ordered...the refurb was done 'as the first one'. The piston sleeve was made from .25mm PTFE sheet, this forms a snug fit when the spring is installed. I've still got a some left so if you want me to cut you a piece then just pm me your address and you can have it (120mm x 60mm). I've not had a chance to evaluate the .22 yet, I only finished it yesterday! The new scope should arrive tomorrow - so get that fitted & I can check it out!! I have run a couple of shot strings through it - AA Fields produced 7.4fpe & Hobby's gave 7.2fpe...the AA's are too expensive to use regularly in the Meteor so I'm basing the standard power as 7.2fpe with the Hobby's.

Meteor 20yd target.JPG
    I just hope the .22 can produce similar results!!

10. sniper11

sniper11 Mr

You have done an excellent job my next rifle might be a meteor me thinks.

11. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

Hi bhodge I did like what you did I bought the standard spring from john knibbs along with new o rin pidyon seal and new buffer washer. I was hoping for 8fpe to 8.5fpe eith superdomes .
    The only difference is I was told to use an hw35 breach seal.
    As this alone could add 1fpe with no effect on the rifle it was just a more efficient seal.

The rifle rattles when fired so im off to the charity shop for an old 3mm belt to cut up
    And glue in place.

How is your paint job holding up on your .177 as I will re do mine.

I would like to take you up on your kind offer of the piston sleeve as I can check the fit for future reference
    On other rifles I have still to do.
    Atb
    David

12. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

No problem David , I'll also add a small piece of leather. This leather pad is fitted to stop the cocking lever 'slapping' the inside of the forestock when cocking...so I don't know what you mean when you say it rattles. My paintwork is sound with no hint of chipping or wearing, it's proving to be very durable. Pm me address and the bits will be in the post ASAP.
    Brian.

13. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

14. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

It might have been because the hw seal was to thick and I never had full lock up.
    Its a definite click now before the seal was getting splayed out .
    I have a 40 target hft coarse on Sunday to shoot.
    But I will take the meteor and do more testing everything hopefully should be ok now
    No more aiming 3 foot above the target to hit the bottom of the page.

I will also polish the trigger sear as well as the trigger pull just now takes you off target.
    Cheers
    David

15. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

That mod won't fix his stiff trigger

16. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I tried a hw35 seal also as recommended by others, far too big.

17. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

Thats correct.... as stated in the trigger thread - the mod is based on removing any slack in the trigger mechanism. Therefore making it more positive, not easier to pull....thats a completley different issue (which I believe the source to be the mainsprings back pressure on the trigger sear).

18. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

You are probably correct. I also agree that a standard spring should only be used. The later meteors after mark 2 in my opinion went a little downhill in both build quality and with the trigger. The mk1 meteor is far better (same mainspring used) it is lighter and very predictable. I'm now after a mark 2.

19. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

It's the standard main spring I used from john knibbs.
    I was advised not to buy the titan spring option and keep the spring standard.
    I feel the trigger incredibly stiff , I don't have access to another meteor to test it against
    They might all be like this for all I know maybe im expecting to much.
    Cheers
    David

20. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Try the trigger polishing I did and you should notice an improvement. You have to accept the meteor for what it is mate, a beginners gun that many shooters cut their teeth on (and trigger fingers lol) I love them for the nostalgia not because they are a blistering accurate gun with a sweet trigger. Having said that I know there was a guy who won a ft competition in the 80's in a period when just about everyone would have been using highly tuned hw77's, with his mk4 meteor! He still has the gun to this day.