1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

my nv build list

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Ganton Gunner, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

ok i have been asked a couple of times so i thought i would put the list here for all
    this build is good for 200m crystal clear and good vision at 350yard +
    cost is approx £130-£150

1st up is the camera its about £40
    camera link i know its from china but your not going to get it over here i paid about £10 to get it quick
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-3-S...989745914.html
    i would reccomend you ask him to remove the ir filter but if he does not its easy just ask me and i will help

and you will need a lens for it this is the one i got about £2
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2512830705...84.m1439.l2649

next is a screen easy one this go on ebay and find a 4.3 inch screen cheap probably about £15

next is battery same as the screen ebay and about £22 dont go for a import you wont get it (customs)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1510682087...84.m1438.l2649

next is the torch i reccomend one of sikastag (ian) he is on the night vision forum here is his email address
    ir.light.builds@gmail.com
    you want to ask him for a ir T20 i would recomend a rat tail off him too will cost about £51 in total
    i know it may seem a lot for a torch but you wont get better imo for this distance
    please note othertorches will work but i prefer the adjustable focus and adjustable power depending what im wanting to do

little bits ebay search
    2 way power splitter 12v (will be about £2)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-WAY-2-WA...item2a301c11ae

bnc male rca male (will be about £1 its just a small adapter to convert the camera cable to a rca cable)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNC-Male-t...item5d468582c2

then just work out how you want to mount it :)

any questions feel free to ask

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. David M

David M Donator

Got all the bits and they work great mate, thanks, the camera and lens from China were ordered on the 6th April and turned up just after Easter on the 22nd....:up:

I'm trying to work out a good way of mounting the camera now, you look like you have a very tidy method. Your scope looks like a digi nite eye to me like mine (except I have the older pre digi one).... the scope's ocular being 44.9mm and the camera corner to corner 49.9mm. I was hoping to use one of these silicon reducers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSR-Silic...clk_rvr_id=616324391885&afsrc=1#ht_6078wt_941 but the nearest they get is 45mm to 51mm, may be ok with a little packing here and there I suppose..

What have you used gantongunner..?

3. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

dont like the rubber hoses they wobble about too much so i used a project box to mount the camera in
    View attachment 94728

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

5. willos

willos Active Member

Ive come across this as well but is it me or is it a little confusing on what goes where and where does the camera go

6. David M

David M Donator

Hi Willos, the camera is tucked inside the extension tube on the scope's eyepiece....:up:

7. David M

David M Donator

View attachment 95054 View attachment 95053 View attachment 95055 View attachment 95056 View attachment 95057

I made up a 1/64th ply tube 50mm in diameter (same measurement at the camera back plate corner to corner), then stuck 4 pieces of 1/4" hard balsa one on each side of the camera with strong double sided tape and sanded them to form a 50mm disc to snuggly fit inside the tube. I built up the scope body to 50mm using 4 rings of bike inner tube, cut 20mm deep and stretched on top of each other until I'd made a thickness where the ply tube gripped it nicely but still allowed adjustment to line everything up on the screen. It's finished off wrapped in matt black insulation tape and the balsa wedges were painted with matt black acryllic. Works really well, I slid the camera about inside the tube trying to get the best picture possible and lining it up looking straight through the scope. When satisfied I put a small drop of cyno between the balsa and ply tube to hold everything solid.

The camera and screen take a combined 360mA so my 3 cell 1800mAh Lipo (modelling battery) is more than adequate for anything I'll ask of it, I do have another to take along if I can't sleep all one night..! I bought a cheap protected Ultrafire 18650 Li-Ion cell for my IR torch and it has run for well over 2 hours indoors and in the field (on medium torch power) which I'm happy with for now.

I fiddled with the screen and camera menu controls to get the best picture quality day and night, had a few shots up the garden range to check nothing had altered zero wise and headed up the field. What I noticed quite quickly was that judging distances is really tricky and I'll need to take a marker for a maximum 35 yard range, rabbits were hopping out all over the place from a hedgerow that stretched 100 yards and it would be easy to mis-judge holdover. There is screen refresh blur if you scan left and right too quickly, the picture then quickly crisps up again as you hold it steady, to help out with that I've swapped scopes to one that goes down to x3 mag for a wider field of view, when I spot something in range, I quickly up the scope mag to x6-9 then take the shot.

I may leave the wires and connectors as supplied and not bother shortening them like intended, I've wound them up neatly and banded them together and they sit out of the way under my battery pack, all very easy to remove from the gun as well, I'll get girlie to sew up an elastic collared brown material bag to slip over the butt and hide the workings........:up:

8. willos

willos Active Member

Im waiting for my camera today from sure24. Ive registered on the nightvision forum and come across a great tip.
    The camera fits very neatly in a plastic end cap supplied by screwfix. Has a screw end cp so that the end can be sealed.
    Camera is a friction fit on all sides of the tube so reduces faffing on time to make sure it runs true. Item number 65881 floplast access plug. Im starting a new thread as well re this.

9. David M

David M Donator

You may want to get to the little 4 way switch on the back of the camera whilst it's fitted to the gun though to access the menu system, maybe it can be set up ok by holding it somehow..?

I went out with it last night again and I'm really impressed with this, I used it from 9pm to 11pm and found it really easy to use, clear as a bell and very power friendly. Being able to go down to x3 mag on the scope is almost essential to me, to save scanning the area left and right all the time. I haven't found it necessary to use the T20 IR torch on higher than medium power either yet, bring the focus just a little back from a spot means there's plenty of illumination out to well beyond 100 yards. The farms where I shoot have rat problems certain times of the year, so low scope magnification and torch power setings may come into their own around the silos....:up:

Last edited: May 1, 2014