1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

My New Purchase....Quirky Brake Barrel PCP

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Elk hunter, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I can across this rifle last week on another forum and although new nothing about the gun I bought it on a wim because of its quirkiness.
    What is it you ask... BSA Spitfire High Fill in .22 cal. Brake barrel PCP.

Ive trawled the net but information is very thin although i found a forum member GIRLYPANTS who had owned one. There seem to be some issues with the filling valve and that a self service is quite difficult. But I so far seem to have a good one, no leeks and in extremely good condition.
    All that I've found out is there was a buddy bottle filled rifle or a diving bottle fill and braking the barrel is to load and cock the trigger nothing else.
    Not shot it as yet but it's been over the crono with a healthy 11.6 fps with accupell.

Very happy just for the fact I've never seen one before and it's a little different. So any info would be appreciated.

Andrew

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Macdoog

Macdoog Posting Addict

What a lovely looking rifle and such a great idea!!

3. tommy gun

tommy gun Posting Addict

Had the sf model with buddy bottle only got 25 shots to a fill had the 16 ins barrel.Don't cock it to hard that's where the damage is caused mine leaked after a while need a jig to take apart so i been told sold as spares .

4. Whistler1

Whistler1 Donator

Thats the first time i have ever seen that type of rifle....you would sware it was a springer:eek:

5. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Couldn't have been that good an idea as it was discontinued..:)

6. Macdoog

Macdoog Posting Addict

A good idea in hiding the bottle /air reservoir tho

7. Shropshire Shooter

Shropshire Shooter Well-Known Member

I considered one of these back in about 2002/2003 when I first got back into air rifles. I was put off by the horror stories about servicing - as Tommy Gun said above you needed a special jig to set them up properly.

If I remember correctly they had a sort of pressure gauge using a rod with a scale - although if the 25 shot per fill bit is right it was hardly necessary :D

A bit of a marmite gun - but I can remember quite a few people loved them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  8. bobbie1

bobbie1 Busy Member

I bought a new high fill model and realy liked it, but it leaked air from day one , returned for a refund ,

9. scrubsboy

scrubsboy Engaging Member

You're getting old and forgetful Andrew, I took mine to your shoot last year (you thought it was a supersport). It's the same as yours but is in .177 . I've had mine in from new since 2003 and have not had a problem with leaks. I needs a service though as one of the orings has started to crack so I'll probably have to send it to Bowkett for tootling.

10. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Only the SF model had the pressure gauge in the scope rail. The HF model did without. The HF allegedly fills to 232 bar and should give 50 shots or so in .22. They are renowned for leaking. If yours isn't don't fiddle with it. I had the Bowkett special version with a monster Bowkett bull barrel silencer. Cracking gun.

11. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

lovely looking rifles them, always wondered what they are like to shoot?

when i read up on it, one of the common reasons for damage was over strenuous cocking, as from what i read it only actually needs a little bend of the barrel to cock it (not a full break barrel type stroke).
    so this may be something to bare in mind...

There is one in market harborough gunshop aswell not too far from you..... and me :rolleyes: (must resist)

you can get these with really really really :matt::rocka::laser::violent3:really long barrels too. :D

12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Looks like a nice example :)

These are certainly quirky and interesting.. they have a linear valve setup which makes them very efficient, but they're hampered somewhat by the restricted barrel length since the breech is so much further forward.

I'd endorse the horror stories about leaks and fixing - I had a go at one a while ago before conceding defeat and sending it off to Mr. Bowkett. I'd agree in that I think you need some sort of jig to strip it once you get to a certain point.

Intriguing from an engineering perspective, but you can see how traditional barrel over cylinder pcps have a lot of advantages in comparison; despite the few standout features of the Spitfire.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  13. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

John Bowkett has some of these that he acquired from BSA some years ago, they have been fully blueprinted and he's knocking them out for £200 a pop.

They are quite innovative in that you only have to break the barrel about an inch to cock them! I quite like them despite the low shot count!

Did it come with the filling bottle Andrew?

14. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

No Steve this one does not have a bottle. It is the high fill and from what I have found out is this type has a better shot count of around 50 in .22 but plugs into a dive bottle or stirup pump like normal PCP.

Andrew

15. tonyscfc2

tonyscfc2 Engaging Member

I also have one of these had it from new, recently had a leak took it to my gunsmith in bolton , he managed to service it fine some spares no longer available and need to be made. I love mine shoots a dream as accurate as any other pcp, I get about 30 shots from mine as its the sf model, with the gauge.

16. The Hunter

The Hunter Junior Member

Hi quick question does anyone know weather I could get a silencer for my hammerli black force 800 .22 air rifle? Thanks

17. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

I bought the first one sold to the public when it was released. great rifle but v heavy for field work. about 15-20 shots per fill. dunno what happened to it.

18. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Another leaker. Not a fast enough leak to worry about (days, rather than hours), so I live with it. Mine shoots very low, have the scope massivley shimmed.

Dave