1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

My New Hw98

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Whitehead4272, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Whitehead4272

Whitehead4272 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my review of my now 3 month old HW98.
    I use my air rifles over a neighbouring dairy farm and market garden. Only 2 quarry types.
    Rabbit at 38 paces out to a hedge from edge of the milking sheds and moderate range rats around the buildings.
    I have shot over this land for 20 years, most recently with a HW100 which was a great hefting rifle, accurate and reliable but after 3 years I grew tired of the bottle filling and keeping an eye on the power tail off and decided to move the gun on to a younger shooter that sometimes joins me on the shoot.
    I wanted a good hefting gun and not keen on carbines.
    Having seen the 98 in magazines, i thought yeah looks ok ish so i took a look in my gunshop.
    It looks and feels so much better in the flesh and the handling is a joy, even before setting it up. The wood is darker than other HWs and the stippled area adds contrast but subtly due to the very dark wood.
    The stippling works, offering far better grip than the other models i tried but the most impressive aspect is the bull barrel. Its only moderate length, being semi carbine but there is plenty of weight forward from it. It steadies the aim. Lock up is easily the best i have encountered on a break barrel, with zero resonance coming from the barrel when you close it, unlike the 95/99. Its a solid clunk.
    The crown is finished well as is the breech.
    I am not one that goes in for all the tuning add ons but just clean them out first, add moly on the spring and back of piston, find the right pellet (in this case Falcon) and get shooting.
    From a bale rest, i achieved 2 groups of 1/2 inch at my 38 yard range which is as good as i was getting from the 100.
    The gun has been working flawlessly for a few months now in all conditions.
    Heavy maybe, if not a 6ft er but very steady on aim and very little recoil.
    I am not an FT shooter. There maybe better models for that but can highly recommend if after ground game/pests.

Ian george, Mickm8, talent and 9 others like this.
  2. vonbeck

vonbeck Engaging Member

Nice little write up :thumb: Iv`e been thinking of a 98 for myself on and off for the last few months, it might be on again now lol

Blue BSA and Whitehead4272 like this.
  3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Nice write up buddy, thank you

4. scooby1

scooby1 Posting Addict

Thanks for this write up very informative. I have wanted to get a 98 after shooting my brothers one and loved it , I should of bought it but it was .177 and I am a .22 Man.

5. Brickhill

Brickhill Engaging Member

A friend had a 98 in .177 and it's a tack driver. It's never been tuned just well shot in. Nice review thank you !

6. vonbeck

vonbeck Engaging Member

Blue BSA likes this.
  7. Whitehead4272

.177 for the task i have. If you use Express, Falcons or RS at 8 grains you cannot go wrong for long range vermin control.
    Caveat. I am NOT an FT shooter. I have little doubt there are more appropriate choices for that but as a sporting springer for vermin control, very difficult to beat for a variety of reasons.

Blue BSA and vonbeck like this.
  8. vonbeck

vonbeck Engaging Member

thanks i would just be using it for targets/plinking etc i have a prosport in .22 and love that, but if i get one it will probably be in .177 cheers

9. Whitehead4272

Blue BSA likes this.
  10. Baldy HW98

Baldy HW98 If at 1st you don't succeed, you needed 2 mildots!

Good write up and good to see another 98 fan. Mines in. 22 and has a lovely consistent groupings - 10 shots under a 5p at 30 yards. Keep us informed on how it goes

Attached Files:

11. Dave Wetton

Dave Wetton Engaging Member

Had a 98, with a few bits done in.177. Absolutely ace rifle wish I'd never have sold it to be fair.

12. CORKY.

CORKY. Active Member

I had a 98 in .177, and it seemed to kick more than the .22 rifles I had been shooting, I could not get on with it, and soon sold it. Years later I discovered the HW95K in .22, loved it and added the HW98 adjustable stock for absolute perfection. Incidentally, the 98 adjustable was lighter than the 95K luxus stock that it replaced

hairyarms likes this.
  13. Meal Dot

Meal Dot Busy Member

Got a thing for the 98 just now, once this lockdown is over I may be on the hunt.......:hunting:

johnnyv likes this.
  14. johnnyv

johnnyv Busy Member

You won't be disappointed:up:
    IMG_20200327_140524735.jpg

555, Blue BSA and Dave Wetton like this.
  15. Big Al Art

Big Al Art Newbie

what scopes have you got on the two guns

16. scooby1

scooby1 Posting Addict

That 98 is a nice looking rifle

17. mattw975

mattw975 Keyboard Hero

Just need a silencer on it now :)

18. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Try very hard to overcome this you may be very disapointed. I was, twice i never learn. Now the 97 is another matter entirely.

19. hairyarms

hairyarms .

I have also gone right off springers in .177 even though I owned a .177 TXHC for years. All I shoot now is a .22 TXHC It is so much smoother to shoot than a .177 and as long as you zero them at 25 to 27 yards I find the trajectory easier to use than a .177 zero'd at 35 yards.

20. TimB

TimB Posting Addict

Hi Whitehead I got my hw98 .177 about the same time as you mate early February, bought a simple Hawke 4-16x44 Vantage low mounts I was after a break barrel as I’ve already got a HW97kt for the ‘takes me back to being a lad simplicity’. initially the bull barrel look is what I liked so I tried one at my local rfd as soon as I cocked it, put a pellet in and that solid clunk of the barrel locking up it was sold lol. When I fired it t was deader than I’d thought too, bit of a twang heard but felt great.
    I then fitted a Rowan extra setback brass trigger same as in the 97 and shot it for a month or so and decided to have it tuned, too be honest it felt great anyway but I had my 98 done by Tony W at SFS and that shoots amazing. Anyway for a change took it to Tony Burton at AGRTUNING where he tuned and fitted a Vortek kit.
    Since I’ve had it back and obviously with the lockdown ive only shot it at about 21 yards down the garden, must have put about well over a thousand down it can’t put it down haha ! Mine likes Crossman premier 7.9 gr the boxed ones, but also JSB heavies so I’m hopefully going to get up to my permissions this weekend to try it out to further ranges to see which pellet is best.
    I love the simplicity of a break barrel and a pocket full of pellets, I think it’s got to be up there with the best break barrel available to be honest

Anyway congratulations on a great gun mate all the best Tim .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]