1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice my Mrs wanna dog.. ........

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by vitalich, Sep 6, 2014.

1. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Hi lads,

Anyone have an experience and can give me any advice on Welsh Corgi?

2. Alex.B

Alex.B Big Poster

Strange choice but please check the rescue dogs out first . :)

3. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

Hi they are meant to be a good temperament and the ones I've met have all been nice dogs, they tend to gain weight quite easily and there's a few conditions that they will be of increased risk of if they get overweight.

All pedigree dogs are prone to some form of genetic conditions - the main ones welsh corgis are prone to are:
    [h=2]- Canine Degenerative Myelopathy[/h]-Severe Combined Immunodeficiency
    [h=2]-Progressive Retinal Atrophy[/h]
    (this website has more info http://pets.thenest.com/genetic-problems-welsh-corgi-5720.html )

Your best bet is to find a reputable breeder who has clear pedigree history and has preferable tested for the main genetic diseases the dogs suffer from. Its not the most common of breeds but the local vets might know some decent breeders that are local, if not the kennel club has a list of registered breeders.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/pembrokecorgi.htm

Theres some general info on the breed on that website also.

The main advice I would give is to a/ find a good local vets mainly by asking around friends etc and b/ get some comprehensive pet insurance.

Pet insurance isn't cheap for good cover unfortunately but it can save you a fortune if something does happen, running a vets isn't cheap and the drugs alone for some conditions can cost in the thousands for a years supply and the tests aren't cheap either and having good pet insurance will honestly make your life a lot easier and save a lot of worry on vet bills.
    Make sure to read the small print on them, some cover conditions for life, others barely cover anything.
    The local vets will probably have some advice because they will see what insurance companies are providing or refusing to pay out for.

As above there are a lot of rescue dogs out there but if its your first dog make sure it doesn't have any major behavioral problems because they can require a lot of experience to deal with.

4. rabbitraider1

Don't let the inherited conditions put you off/bog you down, pretty much all dogs are prone to one or another, its just best to ask the breeders about them because you can get a feel for if they are more interested in progressing the breed or making money

5. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    get her a rabbit instead ... much more fun !

6. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

thnks lads for all good advices

will keep an eye on kennel club breeders

7. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Any dog will gain weight fast if it's over fed that dry s****y kibble, full of stuff that the canine digestion can't even process!!

all dogs are internally exactly the same, but go to your local pet shop and you will find dog food tailored for every individual breed of dog, lot of Censored!!!!

Mother Nature put plenty food on this planet for the canine carnivore, it's called a herbivore!!!

but as said please look at dog rescue, there is plenty looking for a second chance:)

8. Alex.B

Alex.B Big Poster

Google did find some corgi rescues with some nice looking pure and cross breeds . Please have a look , its a great feeling to have done it. :D

9. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

My Daughter over in Canada has a welsh Corgi. She is out most of the day and was recommended this breed.
    True to form the dog does not mind being left and is a friendly animal. Also a wonderful companion, not too keen to go walkies if its wet or snowy, a proper house dog. Does not however get on with other dogs.

10. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

googled corgi rescues in uk, found too many corgi-jack russel crosses for rehome....
    no pembrooks found yet

but now i can legitimately spend hours on AGF as i'm digging for some really usefull info :)

11. Alex.B

Alex.B Big Poster

I found some nice x's on those sites , go on you know you want to :) .in fact we are tempted to get a certain one as Troy is fine with other dogs . If we do I hold you fully responsible .

12. rabbitraider1

I agree with this mostly, however, there is also risks of several nutritional deficiencies if not done properly and on certain gut disorders (best left to the imagination)

Not normally such a problem with real meat but lean meat (rabbit and chicken) is low in a lot of fat soluble vitamins. Wild animals don't just eat the meat they eat all the other bits like liver, guts eyes which have a lot of the other bits in.
    You get a lot of sick animals in the vets mainly from upper class women who only feed betsie the finest chicken :p

On the whole though avoid cheap kibble, some of the decent diets are well formulated with all nutrients required.