1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice My first ratty has arrived, what next

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by SW-Novice, Mar 25, 2014.

1. SW-Novice

SW-Novice Engaging Member

Hello All,

I have finally fallen into the clutches of my first ratty, it arrived self assembly this morning and not in the best of conditions.
    It is a little pitted and the blue has seen much better days. The original owner decided that he would make a power adjuster
    and whacked a big ass bolt and locknut on the rear of the action (turning bolt doesn't really appear to do much). There is also
    a leak from under the bolt assembly which i guess is the transfer port area? The plus side is that it came with blocks for scope
    and a 24 inch barrel.

Finally the question:
    Where do i start if i want this to be a stable little addition to my expanding collection of guns?
    I am thinking about a steel breech for it and a complete stripdown and service plus a quality power adjuster
    but what next?

Also where is the best place to obtain the parts?

Thanks
    View attachment 92957

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Gmac. For parts...but beware u will soon spend daft money and end up selling lol..quite a few in me have that t-shirt

3. SW-Novice

I just did £200 in window shopping on the site in 5 minutes. The problem is I've decided that im doing no more than £100 on it.

4. surrey shooter

surrey shooter Donator

As above gmac or post in wanted section, they are addictive but good fun modding.

5. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Steel breech is a must...power adjusters I'd leave IMO...

6. bl4de

bl4de Donator

Congrats on the Purchase ! Steel Breech is a definite ! Power adjuster ? I would say not needed, others would say yes. With that length of barrel you should really ( If not already ?) find out the power of it ! yes you can get deep down in the Pockets on these guns, especially when you start going down the Brass or Stainless route.

7. coletti

coletti Active Member

Got my first ratty the other day. What fun it has been haha. Mine was a brand new one and came with a steel breach and 18" barrel. After a couple of short plinking sessions in the garden it's become aparantely that in gonna be using a lot of gas so I'm going to bulk fill mine asap. Would like to find out how to increase the power a bit without using a power adjuster

8. SW-Novice

The steel breech and loading probe/bolt are now on order, i have to buy a power adjuster and probably the spring behind it as it looks like a butchers job
    has been done to make a power adjuster. It has a small gas leak between breech and cylinder when fired so looks like a learning curve for me over the next
    week or so. £90 for the gun and i have already doubled that with just the bits ive ordered. Next step might have to be a longer cylinder as 20 shots sucks.

9. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Small leak will be the Oring under the breech..often put in wrong after dismantling...and be aware if u have ordered a brass probe bolt..they can snap !!

10. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

Welcome to the club;)
    Fitting a longer cylinder will not give more shots as you will still be on 12g co2
    If you want a higher shot count go bulk fill or hpa
    I did a guide a while ago its in the techy section
    "for those who asked about hpa ratty"
    Have fun with it and prepare your wallet for a pasting ;):)

11. rb1985

rb1985 Newbie

a longer cylinder wont give you more shots, there is still the same amount of co2 in the powerlets regardless of cylinder length. the leak will be from the tranfer port, make sure its fitted the right way round, the cylinder seal is fitted correctly, add a small oring to the breech side of the transfer port (take the oring out of a disposable lighter or get one from gmac.). the steel breech will help aswell, as the plastic crosman ones are awful.

12. SW-Novice

The TP is now in the correct way :)
    The plastic breech is awful though as it looks like its not seated properly on the cylinder.
    its not leaking any longer but i can see a complete stripdown and rebuild in the very near future
    I ordered a steel breech and bolt/probe with hollowed probe and power adjuster this afternoon
    and im looking at the 24" barrel and thinking id prefer 20" as that would fit nicely into my spare
    carbine gunbag.

13. coletti

coletti Active Member

Could be tempted with the 24" barrel if you were wanting to get rid?

14. SW-Novice

Its pitted like it been left in the rain overnight :mad:
    im in the middle of rubbing it down with P1000, wirewool, autosol and finally a clean cloth ready to reblue it.
    These damn guns do tend to breed though, i was showing a mate this afternoon and he said
    "i got one like that, bought it for 50 quid off a bloke in the garage".
    So you guessed it! I now got 2 of them lol

15. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

Put the Rattie down and step away no step away this is your wallet calling do it now.

16. coletti

coletti Active Member

As above haha. Not so sure ill get a second but have seen plenty of mods I would like to do such as hpa and multishot but above all I would like a touch more power. Going to cost me a small fortune but oh well, ill enjoy it. Still cheaper than my 22.250 though :)

17. SW-Novice

The one that was dropped off an hour ago is a shorter barrel model and no modifications so completely standard. pushes a grand total of 7.9fpe
    I'm working out the cost for my upgrade list and then taking 75% off the cost of everything so the wife finds the list on our shared PC and thinks
    its a bargain.

18. coletti

coletti Active Member

Clever man hahaha I like your thinking

19. SW-Novice

ARGH! Who sent me the link to HiPAC ?
    I just discovered how to avoid filling my recycling bin with little aluminium caplets!
    Convert to HPA, does anyone know about these or own one and can give a review on it?

20. coletti

coletti Active Member

Don't own and have no experience but from what I've read there not too good as there not regulated