1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

My first day out

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Denzle, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Denzle

Denzle Donator

Hello and Good day to all the forum members. Today I went along and visited a shooting club (Tondu FTC). I received a very warm welcome from the members and was made to feel right at home. After being shown around part of the course, and a few of the clubs rules explained I went straight onto the range (after my gun was chrono'd). A couple of Gents kindly helped me zero my scopes and offered plenty of advice. What an eye opener!! I've never taken my gun outside the confines of my back garden which only offers me 8-10yards to play with, so it was first time to shot at a target at 25-50yards. After being offered the use of a shooting cushion I was shown the sitting position which was totally alien to me, and at first felt rather uncomfortable but managed to get there in the end,I'm not the nimblest of guys at 6'4" and 25st (ex rugby player gone to seed). I later noticed that I was one of the only guys using a "springer" AA TXHC but that's of no consequence as I intend to learn and try and master it to the best of my ability. After a very slow start I began hitting the resettable targets with a modicum of regularity!!! Albeit at 25y. Later in the day one of the lads offered me the use of his rifle, I think it was a customised AA S400. I only took half a dozen shots and was amazed by the total lack of recoil, what a gun.
    Well to conclude my story I must Thank Simon (known on this forum as NJR 100) for all his kind help and advice, I've consequently signed up as a new member.
    Sorry about the length of this posting but I'm all excited like. (all in a broad Welsh accent)
    Kindest regards. Denzle

2. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    nice post mate, sounds like you had fun and enjoyed yourself . and next to being safe, they're the priorities !

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Where's Tondu, Denzle? Something's telling me somewhere near Merthyr?

4. jme99s

jme99s Donator

near bridgend

5. Denzle

Denzle Donator

Actually it's a bit of a misnomer, even though it's called Tondu it's exact location is in a place called Cefn Cribw which is just on the outskirts of Bridgend (Mid-Glamorgan)
    ATB Denz

6. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

7. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

It's a great sport Denzle, keep on practicing with the TX and keep your eyes off the PCPs for now. Master the springer and it will make you a better shot in the long run.
    I often visit friends in Bridgend, I'll look up Tondu next time I'm over there, that'll give me an excuse NOT to go shopping with the girlies!
    Regards
    Tim

8. Denzle

Denzle Donator

Thank you Tim:
    I'll certainly take your advice onboard Mate. I had a brilliant morning and enjoyed 3 hours of shooting and chatting with like minded folk. I'd never shot a pcp rifle until today, but Wow....no recoil whatsoever. It's something to aspire to in the future. Until then I'm sticking with "Betsy". Can't wait until my next outing. Gonna track down A shooting cushion now.
    Cheers. Denz.

9. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
  10. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Hi Denzle glad you enjoyed your day out, to me going to the range or club is what its all about, do some shooting then sit have a chat with fellow shooters, then do some more and chat to someone else, although I've started hunting I love Sunday mornings at the range, you will always meet nice like minded people, make new mates and there's always something to learn, it don't take long to get the bug.
    As timmytree says keep up the practice.
    ATB.

11. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

PCPs are great, no denying that, but a good shot with a springer is far more satisfying because it's more about the human being at the blunt end being in control. A PCP can shoot well from a B&D workmate with a bit of string pulling the trigger.
    Don't spend too much on ancillary stuff either, you can make a good shooting cushion from an ordinary cushion cover filled with rice/polystyrene beads and then covered with DPM or just black fabric. Leave it as it is if you don't care what other people think (like me.)
    Have fun though, that's the most important thing!

12. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Nice one mate! Sounds like you had a great time! I would like to go myself with the old man and I have looked at their website a few times but, unfortunately they are just a shade too far away for me to justify regular visits with the 4x4 diesel usage etc :eek:. Glad you had such an enjoyable time and it's nice to have a good welcome. They sound like nice people over there :).

P.S. Nothing wrong with that springer, it's a real mans rifle :D. Don't go to the "Dark side" mate lol :p

13. Awesime

Awesime Air Arms Xti50 Test Pilot

Thanks for your Kind Words Denzle, I am glad you enjoyed your visit and I am delighted you have chosen to join us.

My first thaught on meeting you were "don't argue with him" my second thaughts were " I wont be able to shoot now for an hour".
    That was after shaking hands with you lol
    However, everyone said what a great chap you seemed and those other Mad people in the club said "its good to have another Springer shooter join"
    There are about 25% spring gun users in the club, so you should always find another Boinger to talk recoil with.

Shooting is what you make it. Spring guns are harder to hit the target with every time. Good luck to you if you stick with it, if you do I promise your shooting /hit rate will improve each month.
    We do have a Club S400 Combo too if you (or anyone else) fancies a play with that.
    Be warned though, many have switched when they have tried!
    Anyone who thinks a Pcp makes it easy is in cuckoo land. I can prove this to anyone by taking them round our three Practice courses.

Any time you want help with the gun, checking set up/testing pellets etc let me know.
    Its part of being a club member, the wealth of great shooters you can call on for help.

I can help you out with a Large ft cushion, we have the Large ft cushions due this week. They are more expensive at £35, but believe me gents of our size find them worth every penny.
    Try one Thursday and you will see what I mean
    I should have an hour spare Thursday to sit down and go through with you how to check and set up your gun & Scope from 8 - 55 yards.

Cheers

Simon

14. Denzle

Denzle Donator

Thank you Simon:
    I ordered an extra large cushion from our very own Picklehoffer last night (24"x24"). I didn't realise you could buy them through the club. Really looking forward to my second visit and threatening a couple of targets. I've been religiously practicing my contortionist exercises in readiness for the seated position. See you Thursday. Denzle

15. Denzle

Denzle Donator

Thank you for that Sir:
    Infact Neil's name immediately sprung to mind as soon as I realised I needed to buy a shooting bag/cushion, especially as I needed a custom job. I bought a front rest off him recently and the quality was absolutely superb, so I know what I'll be getting. Thank you for your assistance.
    Denzle

16. Awesime

so now the Dust has settled on Day 2, what are your thaughts now?

Hope you enjoyed today and learnt a little.

little an often will see you progress nicely over the coming months.

17. Denzle

Denzle Donator

Another superb session again today Simon. Over five hours passed in a blink of an eye! Beautiful weather added to the enjoyment. I like to think I'm making some progress. A big thank you for sorting out the scope and I feel a lot more confident now. Looking forward to the next meeting which looks like next Tuesday. Thanks again. Denzle

18. Awesime

Got to say the Welsh Willy kit has transformed your Tx 200.

Very enjoyable to shoot it today! Yes, me, saying that about a springer!

Good scope for it now and you will be clearing that Easy ft course!

19. Denzle

Denzle Donator

Wow! What a day, a thoroughly enjoyable 5 hours out in the fresh air. Absolutely thrilled to bits with the TX after Welsh Willy worked his magic on it. I'm actually getting slightly more confident in my shooting now. But as one says, the longest journey starts with the first step. Eyes wide open for a new scope and I'll be sorted. Can't wait for my next outing.
    Denzle

20. Awesime

Come on denzle, time to update the folks on your experience