1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

My first day and night out

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by matt_rayner8, Oct 6, 2014.

1. matt_rayner8

matt_rayner8 Engaging Member

I recently bought a second hand r10 .177 setup.
    All I needed next was some permissions to shoot on. I spent a few hours on a Saturday knocking on farmers doors and local horse yards. Amazing how many people all ready have people who shoot on their land.
    I took some business cards with me so people had my contact details. After a lot of polite rejections I had a lovely old lady who owned a cottage with quite a bit of land say yes because the rabbits were ruining her lawn. I also had another lady on a horse yard say yes but needs to clear it with the land owner and it turned out we both had a mutual friend, so she checked me out though him and I was given the green light.

I was so excited I took the day off on Friday and went out about 7am for a look around both permissions. I went to the cottage first as i thought their maybe people on the horse yard at that time. After walking about 50 yards up the garden i spotted 2 rabbits munching the lawn. they were down a hill and i would estimate about 35 yards which was my zero range. I laid down and rested on the base of the tree but the first shot went high over the target. I went lower for the second shot but again it went high and they ran for cover? I spent the next half hour checking my zero and tested at all different distances to see what was going on. My zero was good. No idea why i missed probably nerves or misjudged the distance.

I left and went to the horse yard as there were no signs of anything else other than a squirrel that was like a ninja and vanished.

The yard was quiet with nobody about. No rabbits either and they told me they had a massive problem!

I had a good wonder about and could see signs there were rabbits there, then i went round a corner into another field and about 20 yards right in front of me was a rabbit. I didn't move a muscle as it was facing me. I realized it had mixy and couldn't see me because its eyes were closed. I took aim and put it out of its misery with a head shot.
    View attachment 104785
    I could of probably hit it over the head with my rifle, but still a kill is a kill and that was my first and we all have to start somewhere.

I spent a couple of hours wondering around and came across a few pheasants but missed the shots, probably because they were standing shots. Nothing else appeared but i assumed it was the wrong time of day. It was lunch time and quite a warm day so I called it a day.

In the mean time i had ordered a red LED torch from Terry1001 and that arrived on the Saturday. I was very pleased with it but only tested it in the garden. I was itching to get out and try it for the first time. I managed to pop out for an hour and half on the Sunday night, I went to the horse yard and as soon as i went through the gate and peered into the first field i saw quite a few eyes shinning back at me. I took aim but missed the first shot and they all scarpered. I walked around the perimeter of that field and didn't see anything else. I thought i had blown my only chance.
    How wrong was I. In the next field I couldn't believe the amount of rabbits having a feast. This time i rested on the fence post and pulled the trigger. To my surprise the rabbit went down with a good clean head shot and the other rabbits didn't pay any attention. I managed to pick another one off before they all bolted.
    View attachment 104786

After collecting these 2 rabbits i came out of that field into another and instantly saw another rabbit in the field to the right. This one was a bit further away so i aimed 1 mil dot up and again resting on a fence post pulled the trigger and saw the rabbit fall on its side,instantly dead from a good head shot. I started to think i was getting the hang of this.
    View attachment 104788

I spoke too soon. I saw lots more rabbits but they kept their distance and when i was trying to stalk closer they were gone by the time i next put the torch on. I think a lot of it was because the moon was very big and bright and not giving me any cover in an open field.

I thought to myself, i have had a good night for my first time ever lamping and should make my way back to the car as i told the Mrs i would only be an hour.
    As i was wondering back I couldn't walk past the last field without having a quick look in.
    I saw a bunny half way up the field so i stalked up closer using the hedge row as cover. I was now within range and using a gate took aim, the rabbit started to run towards me! I didn't expect that to happen, luckily it stopped for a second and gave me a good opportunity of a head shot which I took and it went down cleanly.
    View attachment 104788
    Before collecting it i had a quick look across the field and saw another further up the field. I got a bit closer and into a good position. I took aim and pulled the trigger only for the rifle to make a pop sound as i had run out of pellets in the mag. School boy error!
    Anyway I had 4 in the bag and enjoyed my first night out.

I think me and my r10 will be having quite a good time at my first little permissions.

There are still more which I am waiting to hear back from and others that I can try but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew to start with.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that has given me advise so far and to terry1001 for a great torch.

2. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Good write up:up:

3. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Well done on your first kills it will get easier .I think you missed those first rabbits as you were
    shooting down hill you don't need as much hold over shooting down at an angle or up at an angle
    hope this helps .
    Atb Si

4. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Nice write up and congrats on your permissions - shame it isn't always that easy to find them!

5. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Well done Matt, always nice to hear that some legwork pays off and just shows it can pay off.
    Enjoyable read too.

Andrew

6. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Well done mate it's nice when it all comes together.

7. matt_rayner8

Thanks. So if i am aiming down a hill and lets say it was at a distance i had zero'd for, because its down a hill do i need to aim lower? and is it the same for up a hill?
    Maybe i should go back a recreate that shot using a target and see what the pellet does.

8. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Yes and yes mate
    practice is a good idea as always :)

9. matt_rayner8

Again thanks for the advise. I was told unless it is over a certain angle that it would still be zero. Just shows what some people know. (More poor advice from a gun shop, I already said to myself i wont be going back there as he looked down his nose at me because he uses shot guns and i only use a poxy air rifle).

As i think it will be quite a regular place where the rabbits hang out I will go and practise the shot with a target. Something I really need to know.

10. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Well the angle does matter but based on your description that sounds like what happened here

11. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Well done on the new permissions Matt, look after it as they are hard to come by. atb Paul.

12. warrenater

warrenater Donator

well done on your first kills and congratulations on your new permissions atb gary.

13. Largerider

Largerider Posting Addict

Well done on your 1st nights hunting, plenty for you to go at by the sounds of it. You might find making a set of shooting sticks like hunters vermin on youtube will be very useful.

good hunting for the future.

14. themadspread

themadspread Donator

good man well done

15. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

Congratulations, onwards & upwards:)

16. matt_rayner8

I did actually make some and took them out during the day shoot but thought that it might be a bit much to manage with the torch as well. After trying the torch out i think it will be managable and will take them next time. I think it will add a couple more to the bag.

17. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Well done good start!!!
    Cheers Andy

18. Largerider

Largerider Posting Addict

I taped an old camera strap to mine so I cam sling them on my shoulder for times like that.

19. Suwannee

Suwannee Well-Known Member

In a cabin,in the woods, 3hrs north of Orlando FL
    Well done Matt, my favorite meat rabbit, why the 177 instead of the 22 ?

20. matt_rayner8

Thanks Suwannee. I got the .177 mainly because the rifle and setup was a good deal and was the best i could find localally. I bought it second hand as I didnt have the cash to buy new.
    The other factor was because i am new to shooting I read that the trajectory of the .177 is much flatter, therefor more forgiving and easier to judge the hold over.