1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

my first air rifle

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by Daniel, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Daniel

Daniel Banned

This is my first air rifle that I got a few months ago.

Its a smk b2 carbine with a 4x15 scope it came with a suppresor but its not pictured here as its not much use on a springer because the sound comes from the inside bits and out the bottem not the muzzel. Its all hand painted by me. I was trying to do it in a british dpm but as you can see the green is abit too bright so is the brown. I dont think its too bad for my first try it took me a weekend to do and it was all done with brushes. Im going to give it another coat of matt varnish soon but i had to have some fun with it because it was on the floor too long :D

feel free to say what you think positive or negative i dont mind because i am happy with it and thats all that matters really. I couldve made it better if i sorted the colours out i might still do sometime but its the only rifle i got and im a shooting junkie so its staying like this for a while.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

That's great, the paint is now worth more than the gun. :D

3. Daniel

Daniel Banned

:D a gold fork is more expensive than a steel one but it isnt any better for eating your dinner with ;)

4. dickyd

dickyd Engaging Member

looks a very good paint job well done,as long as you like it that is all that matters:)

5. Daniel

Daniel Banned

To be honest though its not very accurate. is any spring air rifle accurate? this is the first air rifle ive ever shot so i dont know any better. maybe its the short barrel(because its the carbine version) not giving the pellet enough turns, maybe its just poorly made because i know its not weak the power is there. but today i set out a target at roughly 30 feet i sat down got my postion perfect and didnt move my a*rse or my legs for roughly 50 shots with my elbows in the same postion for every shot eye relief the same grip the same point of aim the same i managed to get a overall group of about 50 pellets 4 3/4 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide:eek: considering ive had more than 2000 pellets out the end of it since i got it and my position is strong and steady with the same point of aim that group of roughly 50 pellets was complete rubbish. next 500 air arms diabolo field i get i will use without the pellet lube i mentioned in another post to see if that is causing the inconsistancy. A more experianced air gunner did say he found it to cause inconsistancy so in the test i will be doing without the lube next week the size of group improoves i will do another again with the lube just to make sure then i will post the results in the lube reveiw thread because the left to right size of the group wasent that bad i can live with that but the bottem to top length was horrendous to a bird(one on the list of course, theres not that much size diffrence in them) it could be the diffrence between sudden brain spillage and disembowlment. And that just aint good enough.

6. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

what gun i cant see it:confused::D

what type of paint did you use its very good.
    im not artistic:eek::D

7. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

If you got one of them free scopes that often come with the Chinese guns then there's a good chance that will be your problem.
    Other than that try cleaning the barrel and make sure all the stock and action screws are tight.

8. Daniel

Daniel Banned

hahaha not seeing it was what I was going for really:D

The paints I used was plasti-kote projekt paint fast dry enamel colours creme de la creme, nut brown, flat black and garden green but i had to mix em up with eachover abit but still didnt get it perfect though it drys abit diffrent to what it looks when you got it in the pot. ive given it two coats of matt varnish aswell it needs another sometime really. can you see the light reflecting abit? the paint is slightly reflective but rub down then varnish then rubdown again and varnish again got it like that so another coat should make it perfect:D

9. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Daniel, I'm not knocking you or your gun, but at 30 feet......10 mtrs....you should be getting 50 shots within a 50 pence piece at the very worst. Head shots are the order of the day and that restricts you to a target size of about a ten pence piece in the case of birds and a kill zone of around a 50 pence piece on a rabbit. Assuming you can get within ten metres of your quarry (and that's very unlikely), your groupings are still 10 times too big. Your rifle isn't the best, there's no doubt about that, but in answer to your question "are any springers accurate?", the answer is "yes", but there's a definite skill involved that makes them much more difficult to shoot than a PCP. Like Andy says, the scope can be a problem, but the other thing is the zeroing. With groupings such as you are experiencing, you can't possibly be zeroing your scope effectively because you don't know what corrections to make. You don't know whether you hit the point of aim, so you don't know whether to correct the scope or not.

Practice is everything with springers, don't hold it tightly, allow it to recoil, but allow it recoil consistantly. If you are in doubt as to whether it's you or the gun, either shoot a different gun or have someone with experience shoot yours.

10. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Its very good camo painting you have there:D:up:, dont put it down in the wood's, or you will never find it again:D:p

11. Daniel

Daniel Banned

Im doing the screws up quite alot :p i thought all the paint and varnish i slopped around the bottem screw would hold it on but it must be the vibration of the action when its fired and i did think about that scope thing today when i was shooting it seems like the vibration could be taking it off zero. because when i was doing 5 shot groups the pattern was changing on every peice of paper and some of them wasent even groups. thanks for your advice you reminded me the problem may be in the scope. do you know of any that have locking elevation and windage knobs? because im thinkin the shock of the action goin off might take most scopes off. that one one there now will be a m*therf*cker to get off after all the paint and varnish on it:rolleyes:

12. Buzz

Buzz Banned

If you're constantly tightening screws Daniel it sounds like the action may be too violent, it might benefit from a proper tune up, not to increase power but to make it much smoother.

13. sumo

sumo Posting Addict

Ok Daniel,so the paint job (which is excellent by the way) is nothing like british DPM but its damn near perfect american woodland colours!.
    Well done:up:
    Remind me mate, does the B2 have that nasty wee lever you have to push with your left thumb to break the barrel?.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  14. Daniel

Daniel Banned

what things would be needed to done for a tune up? is it really worth it for this peice of Censored. i think id be better off running up and trying to beat things to death with the thick end sometimes

15. Daniel

Daniel Banned

yeah i know the colours are wrong for dpm and yes it does have the lever thing(that i bent abit when it fell over)

16. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Posting Addict

In truth, Daniel, the barrel, crown, and trigger are all so useless it's a lost cause, the money you spent on trying to put this rifle straight would be better put towards a decent rifle:up:

17. Daniel

Daniel Banned

what im saying is even if your scope is not perfectly zeroed if u maintain the same point of aim and you apply the marksmanship principles every shot then even if you are not hitting your point of aim there should still be a tight group somwhere on the target that u can look at and adjust accordingly to get it the p.o.a the same as the p.o.i. ...... so if i was to maintain the same point of aim for 50 pellets and get that terrible group i mentioned earlier something clearly is not right and I KNOW IT IS NOT ME
    i can get better groups with a iron sighted sa80a2 at 200 yards much better ones i was doing ones about the same my first time on the ranges

18. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Daniel, best advice in the world is free, the gun is a work of art, so put it on the wall, go out and by a good gun, put that scope on it...job sorted:D

19. Daniel

Daniel Banned

i just done a test then wrote all my results and that out but when i tryed posting it said page cannot be displayed so long story short if u tighten all the screws its semi accurate for about 10 shots i wouldnt recomend this air rifle to anyone who wants to shoot a living thing. i would however recomended it for a child that is intrested in shooting but has not got experiance of taking care of a rifle as a trial if it gets messed up it was only cheap no worries thing. do not get the suppressor and scope versions as the suppressor cost more than the rifle and the scopes are poo also make sure you have a screwdriver for the constant screw tightening if you want precision dont even bother

20. Buzz

Buzz Banned

That's a right coincidence. If you'd have asked here prior to buying it, I think it's safe to say the general consensus would have been the same. Except for the bit about it being good for a child. Nothing puts a child off a sport or hobby more than not being very good at it. The child wouldn't blame the gun, only an adult would do that, the child would just think they weren't very good and forget shooting altogether and that's not good for the sport.
    I believe that gun can be made reasonable, but at a cost that would have brought it into the "much better gun" price bracket.

Hind sight is 20/20.