1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bad news My CRT Monitor seems to be on the way out...

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by edtwozeronine, Jan 8, 2014.

1. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Just wondering if any gaming or tech enthusiasts on here have any ideas what to go for as a replacement for my decade old CRT.

I've been having a quick google about as you do and found various top 10 gaming monitors articles.

The choice seems to be between TN and IPS screens, with IPS often favoured in reviews, but more expensive.

I fancy 24" as that should be about the size of the frontage of my 19" CRT without being too big for my desk.

Is response time between say 2ms and 5ms all that noticeable?

All help greatly appreciated. :up:

2. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

:bump2::tea::bump2::frusty:

3. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 bell target champion

Most gamers hook systems up to the tv now
    most monitors now are ok just go for a deal try scan at bolton they have always got deals on and deliver

4. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

what the feck did i just read? what is crt? tn ips carry on, is it medically related? you should really see a quack.

if its for a computer, go to currys (its got pcworld involved again) you can get a flat screen with a dvd player for aboot 130, hd lead bosh job done. no need for crts and ibs's.

:p

5. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

Not if it PC gaming they don't the TV's aren't high enough resolution for the pc graphics.

Or you could buy a proper computer monitor and enjoy the benefits of very high resolutions and fast refresh rates.

As the the 5/3 ms. I couldn't really tell when I went from 19ms to 15 ms so I doubt your eyes will be able to tell the difference.

IPS if you can afford it and don't be afraid of going up a size as well as remember it will be a good few cm back from where the front of your screen is now.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I'm tempted by the LG 29EA73-P Ultra-Widescreen - very snazzy 21:9 display.

7. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

Ohh that looks nice.
    Though it always confuses my why the modern monitors only go to quite small vertical resolutions?
    Laptops with 768 resolution and a big screen like that with 1080.
    My old LCD here is 20" but will do 1600x1200.

8. whitevanman574

Used to be a gamer just get a deal most monitors cope with anything now dont listen to hype
    lgs are very good just like the tv,s.

9. whitevanman574

Ps if your using old crt then would you call yourself a die hard gamer? Chances areyour systems extemely old to

10. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I scored an Apple Cinema 24 for nowt and it's a fantastic monitor but I find I'm playing a lot of games that really benefit form the extra screen real estate an ultra widescreen would provide. However, the wee one's room needs decorating so I guess I'll just have to make do until my birthday comes along and I can treat myself :D

11. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

My current rig is from 2010. The monitor has outlasted many upgrades and since it never died (or not yet) I've never replaced it. Resolution is much higher than most HD TVs can do. I do have a HD TV for my consoles and Freeview.

As an aside, I hate digital TV! Analogue may have got crackly in bad weather but it remained to some level watchable. Digital signals and TVs just break up to a corrupted bunch of pixels and squeaks at the slightest hint of rain. I'd like to go back in time and shoot whoever got this switch over in motion.

I have a signal booster to try and improve reception but it's been pretty much as waste of time and effort since TV channels have supposedly boosted their outgoing signal because of people complaining of bad reception up and down the UK during the switchover.

12. whitevanman574

its up to you what you go for but even a 2010 system is extremely outdated now ,so any monitor with be more vivid now than it was ,and the digital age is here to stay , like it or not that's future ,let the bin man take the crt and treat yourself :-}

13. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

A CRT (cathode ray tube) is what we all used to have before them cleaver Japanese people invented the flat screen :D

14. airhard

airhard Busy Member

Was it the Japanese? I wouldn't have thought you could still get CTR in 2010?

15. Egg

Egg Major Poster

There's some good CRT monitors still readily available. They benefited from better colour rendering and higher refresh rates than older-tech LCD/LED monitors but, as technology marches boldly on, this is becoming more of a maxim that diehards adhere to as opposed to being the the de facto rule. Also LED/LCD consume far less power and are more green in terms of their standby power consumption. I've switched over to non-CRT for good and won't be going back because CRT's had its day.

16. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I still think a good high end CRT with a 90-100hz refresh would be better than most flat screens, however I've bit the bullet and gone for a 27" iiyama monitor from ebuyer. Plenty of screen real estate for the money I suppose.

17. whitevanman574

technology progresses mate you seem stuck with your thinking , cancel the order and stick with crt if your that sure :rolleyes:

18. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Too late I'm using it. I do have luddite tendencies but not as much as my mate who runs old Sun Micro Systems computers running Solaris OS and has a whopping great vinyl collection and a record decks.

19. SW-Novice

SW-Novice Engaging Member

Fujitsu do some really good resolution fast refresh rate monitors in 22 inch and larger and I use mine for Crysis at 160 fps on it
    and its crisp as anything, no meteor trails when round objects move quickly