1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

My 1993 Weihrauch Hw35k Project Gun For 2018

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by GMballistic, Feb 28, 2018.

1. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Late last year I decided I wanted to fulfill one of my airgun childhood "wants" so started looking for a Weihrauch HW35. Specifically one of the older ones with a rounded bottom pistol grip style stock.

I didn't want a brand new one and instead was after one that I could buy as cheap as possible making it a project gun for the following year (2018).

After searching for a while I found a reasonable .22cal "HW35K" variant for sale on FreeAds but it was too much money imho. To cut a long story short we haggled on price and I told the seller to keep the scope that was on it as I didn't want that so I ended up getting it at a price I felt more comfortable paying. Unfortunately when the rifle arrived it was in even worse shape then I had expected especially as it was described as beautiful condition. :(

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

07.jpg

As you can see some things were minor problems like the stock being marked and in need of refinishing but I was expecting that. What I wasn't expecting was a slightly rusty barrel, non-functioning safety, faulty Rekord trigger and 2 holes randomly drilled in the stock (one possibly for a bipod attachment but the other I have no idea why).
    There were some positives for me though as it was stamped "Made in W.Germany" which I liked, it felt smooth to cock and the serial number dated it to 1993 so around the exact era I was hankering for one of these rifles (I was 13 then).

Later in the year I plan to refinish the stock and sort the holes out but for now I just wanted to fix a few things and get the rifle shooting nicely.

I firstly used WD40 on the safety catch to see if it was just a gummed up spring or something and worked it continually until it was working freely. It works better now although if I haven't fired the rifle for a week or so it has failed to operate on the first shot once or twice so I may need to replace the safety spring eventually to remedy this.

Next up I tackled the rusty barrel and thankfully it was only light surface rust so came off with some fine wire wool, elbow grease and some silicone oil. You can see the difference between the picture above and the one below after I had tackled the rust. Also note I've put the front sight on correctly as it was on back to front.

08.jpg

I also went about fixing the Rekord trigger as it was pretty dangerous due to it not working correctly seeming to be only working on a single stage.
    I used this guide here to adjust the first/second stage creep: http://www.airguns.net/general_rekord_trigger.php
    ...and it's now working great. Infact it's the best Rekord trigger unit I've ever had on any of my old Weihrauchs.

I then cleaned the barrel so I knew it was clean before starting to trial various pellets for accuracy and power. Tbh it wasn't that dirty though as you can see...
    13.jpg

Now it was shooting safely I ran some pellets through it to "lead it in" a little before chronographing it at home using various pellets to make sure it was legal as I planned on taking it to my local club the following weekend. I was surprised after testing it though as I had heard stories of these older HW35's not giving great power but this one is.
    Peak power was 11.8ft.lbs using RWS Superdome pellets. I did try various other pellets including lighter and heavier ones but nothing beat the RWS Superdome so that's what I decided to zero it with as after some grouping tests at 15 yards in my garden as it was also seemingly the most accurate pellet to use.

Tbh I'm not surprised by that as all I ever used in my Weihrauchs back in the day was RWS Superdome pellets.

For a short while I used the open sights and even considered getting a peep sight for it but tbh I've enjoyed shooting this so much that I thought it deserved a decent "period correct" scope to enhance it's shooting abilities/distance.

I started looking at scopes which were available in the 90's and then it hit me, ...I used to have a Simmons White Tail Classic (WTC) scope which I absolutely loved so I started hunting for one of them. After a brief search predominantly on eBay and FreeAds I managed to nab a WTC 3.5-10x40WA scope with some Sports Match mounts thrown in for a great price. Suits the rifle down to the ground I hope you'll agree... :cool:
    25.jpg

Spent some time dialing it in nicely and it gave a pellet on pellet performance at 15 yards which I'm very happy with.
    29 x5shots@ 15yards.jpg

27 Zeroing.jpg

Hopefully if all goes to plan I'll update this thread later in the year once the weathers warmer and I've refinished the stock. Still considering wood stain colours as well as what finish I'd like to go for. Suggestions welcomed as well as comments. ;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Scott

Scott Registered User

Thats a lovely old thing Gareth it has lots of character and wears the age well enough
    are you planning to strip, clean and rebuild the internals?
    (maybe get a better look at that safety spring too)

GMballistic likes this.
  3. Treecreeper

Treecreeper Based

I like that gun & the choice of scope. It's exactly the sort of thing me & my mates hankered after back in the day but none of us could afford. :( One thing I find a bit odd is it being stamped W. Germany & you dating it to '93 as West Germany was dissolved in 1990 ???

Like Scott said, it's got character & I almost think it's a shame to strip it in a way but can understand why you'd want the stock to look a bit tidier. If it was mine, I'd make up a cleaner/restorer using 1 part meths, 1 part linseed oil & 1 part vinegar (mixed in a jam-jar & shaken well) & I'd get that on the stock with some superfine steel wool, leave it on for about 5 minutes & buff off with a rag. It's surprising how much better a piece of timber can look after being given this treatment & you won't lose the patina & character that the gun has got at the moment.

GMballistic, Kevin2306 and Scott like this.
  4. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 BRIT SEALS - M & M Products - TbT

Lovely guns the 35’s. Good luck with it Gareth and I’m sure many hours of fun are ahead

GMballistic likes this.
  5. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

It definitely has character and if it was an 80's or 70's era gun then I'd probably leave it as is but I'd like to make it more my own so will definitely be looking at doing something with the stock.

I won't be stripping it internally though as honestly Scott it's one of the sweetest shooting spring guns I've ever used. Trigger is light and crisp, recoil is minimal & as I mentioned the power is right up there so no need to fix what isn't broken. :D
    Might take a peak inside though just because I think somethings been done to it internally so would be good to know.

I thought that the date/stamping was strange too but I've checked it on WOC (Weihrauch Owners Club) and WDB (Weihrauch Data Base) both confirm it as a 1993 production gun. I spoke to rabbitwrecker and Johnbaz on here about it who both believe it is a bit of a red herring.
    The consensus is that the "Made in W. Germany" stamping was either used after the wall fell to help imply better quality (than the East) or the barrels etc were old stock already stamped up before the wall fell and Weihrauch just continued to use up all their old stock. Either way I like it being on the gun.

Re: the stock. As I mentioned above with Scott. Still not sure entirely yet which way I'm going to go with it.
    Maybe a light "tobacco" colour stain with "True Oil" over the top, ...satin type finish rather than gloss. :up:

Already had some hours of fun with it thanks Mikey but yes hopefully many more. ;)

Scott likes this.
  6. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

That's looking pretty good Gareth, your right about the Scope it suits it, I would go Satin as well, there's something about older Weihrauch's :cool:
    Enjoy it ;)
    Ray

GMballistic likes this.
  7. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

Great write up, and refurb GM:up:

GMballistic likes this.
  8. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Thanks Ray.
    I wanted to get a scope that was available around the same sort of time period and I used to have the exact same WTC scope on an old Webley Tracker so I knew they were good. Just lucky I found one in decent enough shape and for not too much money (Think it was £70-£75 including mounts/delivery).

I'm going to start working on the stock once the weather warms up some. Basically the same as I did here; http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/how-to-refinish-a-wood-stock.230483/
    ...but probably a light wood stain (like a tobacco one) with a satin finish as I mentioned. Definitely something about old Weihrauchs, they're such great guns. :up:

Cheers bud.
    Not finished yet but I am so pleased with it as it is. Definitely worth the 25 year wait. :D

oedbachgen and PumpnGun like this.
  9. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

t looks ten times better already Gareth, Well done :up::cool::cool:

John :)

GMballistic likes this.
  10. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Thanks John and I appreciate that coming from you. ;)

Hopefully I can make a good job of the stock at some point this year. Feel free to suggest any ideas for wood stain colours as I know you've seen/had/got a fair few of these rifles.
    Gareth :up:

Scott likes this.
  11. c96

c96 Donator

love the 35, and that one looks good for the age. They are one of my all time faves, enjoy.

GMballistic likes this.
  12. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Thanks and it is a fantastic rifle to shoot with.

It's not in bad condition for the age I guess and it's looking better now then when I first got it. Hopefully it will look even better later in the year providing I get the stock done. ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    c96 likes this.
  13. Dan944

Dan944 custom targets/custom triggers-new item sec

Very Nice mate;), and it seems the poor rifle has finally got to the right owner after all these years!

Enjoy mate, and a old 35 is one Weilrauch I’ve always wanted but for some reason have never owned

Atb
    Daniel

GMballistic likes this.
  14. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Thank you Daniel. :)

I'm really enjoying shooting this spring rifle although I've yet to get started on the stock so look out for some pictures of that later in the year.

If you ever get the chance I'd definitely say at least try a 35, if not buy one as they're great guns. Worth keeping an eye on FreeAds etc if you're seriously interested as sometimes they come up extremely cheap for what they are. :cool: :thumb:

15. Dan944

Dan944 custom targets/custom triggers-new item sec

Yes I just missed the opertunity once for an old .177.

May be my next purchase :)

16. norman

norman Donator

Another vote for the HW35..i've had dozens of them..from the basic 35 to "tuned" version's & everything in between...my favourite...the Normay Vixen...leather piston washer...really sweet shooter..probably around 10ft.lbs but accounted for more vermin counts (in the 90's) than any airgun I have owned.:thumb:

GMballistic likes this.
  17. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Get the "Export" model if you can as I've heard they're very good (longer barrel, decent power & AFAIK some with walnut stocks).
    Keep looking and good luck. :thumb:

Hi Chris, add some pictures if you like/can. Always interesting to see pictures of different variants. :cool: ;)

18. norman

norman Donator

Hi Gareth...can't do pic's & the like...took me all this time to change me Avatar..:rolleyes:

Guess what this is..:)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  19. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

That's fair enough and if you mean "guess what your avatar is" then I actually know!! :eek::D

Crosman 451 "Military" Co2 pistol. :cool: How does it shoot?
    :up:

20. Blackmax

Blackmax Rebel!

IMG_1327.JPG IMG_1328.JPG Great post. It's prompted me to post some pictures of an old HW35 I was given the other day in exchange for some work in a gun.

A bit messy but a lot of potential, especially as it's a rarer 'Luxus'.

I'm not sure whether to send the metalwork to Colin Malloy or keep it with a patina appropriate to its age.

One sided safety so likely to be mid 70's with a 65**** serial number.

Iggypot and GMballistic like this.