1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Mwss200 Silencer Review

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Wing Commander, May 3, 2019.

1. Wing Commander

Wing Commander Posting Addict

MWSS200 Silencer Review.

When we are in the market for a silencer, one of the first things we do is start looking at adverts online. It soon becomes apparent that these things are not cheap and there is an impressive selection to choose from. But are they any good? And is a high price any indication of a better product? We can spend a LOT of money and be disappointed.

What we have under review here is the MWSS 200 silencer, available via the commercial adverts on this very forum.

When it comes to silencers, arguably one of the best available is the one fitted to the Weihrauch PCP rifles. It deadens the sound to almost nothing and is generally regarded as being “back garden quiet”. In other words, the gun is quiet enough for neighbours to be unaware of it being fired . . . so this is the one which is going to be used for comparison with the MWSS 200. Silencers nowadays have a standardised thread size of ½” UNF so it is easy to switch them back and forth.

They are going be fitted to a SMK PR900W in .177 calibre. This rifle has a muzzle break thingy as standard but it is utterly useless as a silencer and gun sounds like a cannon going off when fired. Let’s face it; if it can work on a “low rent” gun like the SMK, it should work beautifully on something with a bit more class.

Cost:
    The Weihrauch unit costs up to £65. If you want it posted, that will cost extra, with some adverts quoting up to £15.
    The MWSS 200 is £48 posted.

Size:
    The Weihrauch unit is 195mm long by 30mm diameter.
    The MWSS 200 is slightly bigger at 200mm long and 35mm diameter. There is no doubting it looks bigger on the gun.

Weight:
    The standard (useless) SMK thingy weighs 100g
    The Weihrauch silencer weighs 100g
    The MWSS 200 weighs slightly more at 125g but it hasn’t made the gun feel nose heavy in any way.

Velocity:
    Always a big question. Will a silencer affect the performance of a gun?
    Yes indeed it does, but not by much. The following tests were conducted over a 20 shot string with H&N FTT pellets and averaged out. The difference in the spread of velocities was never greater than 9fps. It was 8fps with the MWSS 200.

On the standard SMK device: 780 fps
    Weihrauch silencer: 784 fps
    MWSS 200 silencer: 785 fps.
    No fears of a reduction in performance, then.

Noise:
    This is why we buy silencers...
    Standard SMK device: A whopping 110 decibels. . . ouch.
    Weihrauch: 67 decibels.
    MWSS 200: 65 decibels.
    For reference, 120 decibels is the threshold of pain. 65 decibels is roughly no louder than hearing speech at 3ft.
    There is more noise generated by the sound of a pellet striking a paper target than there is from the muzzle of the rifle.

Accuracy:
    Will a silencer affect the point of impact?
    The short answer is yes, but the difference is not great and it is consistent so a quick twiddle with the scope adjusters soon has the thing re-zeroed.
    The HWSS 200 was shooting about ¼” higher than the Weihrauch silencer at 30 yards.

Grouping:
    Both silencers produced very acceptable group sizes at 30 yards.
    The pictures probably highlight my questionable marksmanship more than any deficiencies in the silencers.
    Excuses.... it was a gusty day.

Conclusion:
    The MWSS 200 is a biggie – let’s call it a Super Silencer -- and it will give a very “macho-look” to any rifle which will appeal to some but not to others (Marmite) but it definitely does a fabulous job of silencing a rifle, and it does it at a price which is excellent value for money.

Compare the two silencers for size.

What it look like on a rifle:
    :

Grouping with the MWSS 200 Silencer: 30 Yards.

2. Rob-ontarget

Rob-ontarget Donator

Good review.. Thanks:thumb:

3. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Nice unbiased opinion with good comparisons.
    :thumb:

4. Flying wombat

Flying wombat Once more balance is restored

Nice review is the mod calibre specific ?
    Cheers

5. mattw975

mattw975 Big Poster

Yes they are

Matool likes this.
  6. Flossy01

Flossy01 A new me

Pm sent

7. Flying wombat

Flying wombat Once more balance is restored

:thumb: thanks

8. Zubar

Zubar Engaging Member

I love mine. Top notch.

9. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

10. stevil

stevil Busy Member

great review thank you, now saving as we speak lol

11. katluke

katluke Donator

I can confirm that one of Matts 200 silencers was quieter on 3 Rapids and another mates HW100 that we tried them on,which was also backed up by my mate checking the sound with a Decibel app. hth

mattw975 and Wing Commander like this.
  12. Wing Commander

Wing Commander Posting Addict

Today at the gun club: the guys were all impressed with the MWSS 200 silencer. :thumb:

13. mattw975

mattw975 Big Poster

Excellent to hear

14. Yarraman52

Yarraman52 Newbie

15. mattw975

mattw975 Big Poster

Thanks for the bump

16. mattw975

mattw975 Big Poster

All PM's replied to thanks :)

17. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Yeah nice review, I have one of matts on my TDR and works superb and looks good :thumb:

18. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 & 2019 Forum Nice Guy

Awesome review

Wing Commander likes this.
  19. rkr

rkr Posting Addict

That 35mm diameter vs. 30mm does the trick, more volume = less noise = the biggest contributor in airgun silencer effectiveness.

Wing Commander likes this.