1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

multi shot springer or gas ram?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by manchesterandy, Aug 23, 2014.

1. manchesterandy

manchesterandy Engaging Member

Hi does anyone know of a full power (12ft/lbs) multishot gas ram air rifle? I'd like to get one to use on peter rabbit just to see if I can really get my teeth into the sport before I spank aload of cash on a PCP and tank etc.
    Many thanks

2. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

SLR88 or SLR98 mate, but be prepared to pay multishot pcp money and a good one at that!

3. thisisdonald

thisisdonald Engaging Member

theres also the BSA Goldstar springer if you can find one.. Id have the SLR though - Last year I picked up a Theoben Sirocco Classic and Im loving the ram... I wish I could afford to put a ram into my vulcan!

4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Goldstar was a good rifle back in the 1990s a few journos used them in the hunting mags to great effect but finding one in good nick now is getting harder.

But personally I preferred the superstar virtually a single shot equivalent.

And I reckon if the slr was a single shot it may have sold better.

Because when your hunting or target shooting nothing is more simple than feeding a pellet into your rifling, its just one less thing to go wrong, and with practice can be done in seconds.

Also as many will have experienced first hand there is nothing worse than using your last shot in a mag not realising then you need a follow up shot! Needing to fill the mag for it!

Personally I think multishot springers or gas rams are just to overcomplicated for their own good, just get a single shot something like a tx200 hc will wipe the floor with both of then on accuracy terms, reliability and smoothness.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

6. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

The multi shot looks interesting. What is it? Only ever tried the Theobens before ..

7. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

The one with the mag is a bsa goldstar , the other bsa superstar . View attachment 102487 Dave

8. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

Only ever heard good things about the Superstar. A nice pair of rifles you have there sir!

9. 177

177 Donator

Always liked the Superstar :up:

I've only ever shot two Goldstars - one was bog standard and twangy, the other had been tuned and was amazing. It's owner refused to sell it to me - I don't think I ever forgave my uncle for that ;)

Didn't ASI do a multishot springer with a tube magazine ?

Paratrooper maybe, or something along those lines.

Air Arms Firepower was multi shot as well as far as I can remember.

Both were pap :rolleyes:

10. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

BSA or TX wipe the floor with an SLR? I don't think so...just ask anyon who was at the Fieldsports UK event.

The SLR was the precursor to the Rapid. It featured the same, reliable magazine (mine ar now over 20 years old and still going strong). The magazine was designe by Hugh Earl, who also designed (and builds) the Pheonix, he bought the rights off Parker Hale, but he did the original design for them anyway! The idea was that with a magazine fed, fixed barrel accuracy HAD to be increased because the pellet is fed exactly the same, straight into the rifling, not at an angle like with manually fed rifles, every time. You can buy new magazines still, there aren't many on the shelf but then how many do you need (I have 4 now!) The SLR88 (1988 - hence the 88) was a very high quality rifle, they were hand built initially, as in every single one was hand tool machined, which is why they were so expensive, and they were individually tuned as they were finished. They became prohibitively expensive to build and were dropped from production until 1998 when the clamour for them to start building them again became too much to turn down, especially as accurate CNC machining was now avaiable and they were more realistic to build(still very expensive, but not hand made expensive). At the last count they were £750 to buy new, that was 3 or 4 years ago. There are a couple of new ones on dealers shelves, but unless they are prepared to drop the price I think they will stay there, not many people will part for that for a PCP let alone a mechanical rifle,

They shoot absolutely brilliantly though and if you are going to buy one, do so with the intention of never, ever parting wiht it, because it will become an Heirloom. As for running out of pellets at the last minute...why? There is a traffic light system that tells you when you have 2 shots, then 1 shot left. It isn't hard to glance at the top of the magazine.If you see a yellow (or white) dot then you have 2 shots left, if it is red, you are on your last shot, so it should never take you by surprise.

As for accuracy., this was my .22 SLR98 at 30 yards, stood over the wheelie bin, using 14gn Defiants which shoot well in Anschutz barrels. Oh, did I omit the fact they are all built usig Anschutz match grade barrels? Most were .22, low numbers of .177 and I am led to believe only ONE in .20 exits that Ben Taylor built for himself using a Rapid 12/200 barrel.

[​IMG]

The SLR is one of the most iconic rifles ever built. Apparent weight is lighter than an HW77 or BSA Goldstar too, due to the beautiful balance. there was also the innovative aspect of the underlever forming part of the sound moderating system - and bleeds the pressure off the first sound box through a tube which acts as the locator for the underlever, which is held in place by a ball catch, just pull it down and press it back into place.

[​IMG]

Iknow one chap ha collected FOUR of them, SLR88s and SLR98s, a pair of each. Expect to pay around £550 for used one and upwards of £750 for a new one if you can find one on a shelf that is. There is talk of making them again, but RAW are absolutely up to their eyeballs with orders for their PCPs, so it will be some time in the future if it does happen. Spares are still available though, piston crowns, rams and other bits - but they will only be needed if the rifle has been abused and neglected, which should be obvious from the first glance.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  11. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Don't take it personally Simon I like the slr88 more than most people as I owned gasrams from around that era, Grandprix, taunus, fenmans, and handled and shot my mates slr88 imperator and that was a piece of engineering although a bit heavy for me at the time.

I only said on another thread about the first Fenman I owned being a real performer and I had it ten years or so, lovely gun as accurate as you have shown and lightweight with a small scope mounted, simplicity in its purest form for hunting, and Ive searched for the right example ever since unsuccessfully with the condition performance and wood that one had, and after owning a few more later versions since like a brand new evo carbine in .20 the engineering wasn't half as good ie the poor triggers the ram loosing pressure the bluing quality had gone and lack of fixed mounts making a one piece essential, just a let down unfortunately, and nobody wanted it to work more than me.

At the end of the day I know the draw with Theoben rammers as Im a Theoben fan myself memories heavily engrained from my youth spent picking them up in the gunshop and hunting squirrels and rabbits with my mates also theoben users.

BUT

Few years later with one of my first wages I went and bought a TX200 and it was revolution, smooth as silk ok heavy but so easily to achieve crazy groups with even by todays standards, its success on the FT scene spoke for itself, it won everything going for the years that followed like the hw77 did previously, you didn't hear of many Theoben rammer being used to win FT competitions after the TX and tx200sr arrival, apart from maybe a few enthusiast owned slr88s.

So for desirability collectability and exclusively I would take a nice example of a 1990s Theoben hunting all day over a mass produced TXs but you have to shoot a fair few theoben gasrams to find one that will achieve a proper performing TX's standards these days.

A decent accurate example of a TX can be bought as little as £200-£250 so as I said in my first post on this thread unless he wants to pay through the nose for an SLR which he may struggle to afford, know little about, and struggle to maintain then for the performace per buck and reilabitly yes I stand by the TX is a better buy than an SLR as I class that as more an enthusiast rifle now as its not in production, and the multishot feature means nothing to someone who actually practices loading and underlever on a regular basis as it can be done in seconds, I have red dots on other mags of mine, but it doesn't stop you not seeing it sometimes in the dark, I never had the issue with the TX and I liked feeding a pellet into the rifling that way I knew that pellet wasn't damaged, just like the break barrel on the Fenman didn't need over engineering any more than it was as the lock up was as solid as you could get from a break barrel, and that to could be loaded in seconds, that's why I would say the Fenman inmo was is my favourite Theoben rammer, you don't need multishot mechanical guns inmo its just unnecessary.

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

No better looking underlever airrifle ever made than that an early SLR88 though inmo!

Just the fact that theoben tried to re invent the wheel with the gasram but the old spring didn't need re inventing :(they go the rest right though, bluing engineering stock dimentions, barrels everything but the power plant inmo.

Ill tell you what if there was such thing and a spring powered single shot SLR88 carbine with a proper match level trigger that shot as smooth as a good TX and you could still buy them in the shops I would own one in every cal;):D

The only gun thata meets that criteria that I can think of is a full on venom hw77 lazagide custom and as we all know for a good one your talking the best part of a grand, and again a bog standard tx200 will match it shot for shot out to 55yrds in my experience.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014