1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177, Apr 25, 2014.

1. 177

177 Donator

Blimmin hypocritical git that I am...

I've tried a few MTC scopes and not been impressed but necessity is the mother of invention, so...

I sold a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC recently, smug in the knowledge that I had another in a box waiting to go onto a .22 rimfire.

Dragged the box out the other day to get the scope sorted for picking up the .22lr and realised it was empty, and that I'd sold the scope late last year.

Arse.

So I ended up buying a "tide me over" scope when I got the rifle earlier today.

Much though I hate to say it, clarity seems excellent. I've yet to try it in poor light but early indications are strong.

The RFD had nothing with Nikon written on it and I'm not springing for a Leupold to go onto a .22lr so it wss either this or Hawke, or wait until I buy another Prostaff.

Patience, it would seem, is not one of my stronger points...

I will update this thread over the next day or two when I get the chance to push the scope in low light but, so far, it looks very usable.

To be continued. ..

2. scoie

scoie Busy Member

I have the same scope and had some issues with previous MTC scopes, however I swapped a panorama for the UL as I really liked the spec of this little MTC. Im very impressed , no whiteout , lightweight and the ret is great its now on my .22 airrifle but would happily put it on my .22lr, will be interested in your low light tests
    cheers

3. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Looking forward to how you rate this MTC scope, will be following this thread :up:

4. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

same as above ^^^^ would really like to hear your comparison between the 2 as i'm decided between them. i did a thread a few weeks ago on these scopes and the feedback was essentially don't get one....

atb
    tom

5. 177

177 Donator

Like I say, it was either that or a Hawke...

6. talent

talent Posting Addict

same here , I find them over rated and very expensive for what they are .

7. 177

177 Donator

I think it was Accuspell who said a while back that I should put any old crap on my .22 rimfire.

The jury is out, but I may have ended up doing just that :)

8. 177

177 Donator

OK, I've had the chance to use this scope a little today.

Low light tests will have to wait for, well, low light ;)

Parallax error is huge, so anyone thinking of one for airgun use will have to tussle with the front end and manually parallax it down to a suitable range or expect serious accuracy problems unless you have outstanding cheek weld.

The AMD ret is weird.

You get the centre cross, then the bottom of the lower vertical on the centre cross is half a mil dot (or so we are told) then there's a gap until the top of the vertical post, which supposedly equals 1 mil dot.

I don't really know whether I like it or not - OK, so it's not the eminently usable Nikon Prostaff BDC, and maybe I just need to spend some time with it. Not really loving it, not really hating it.

The centre cross is very, very fine. I got on better with it paper punching in good light than on the few hedgerow bunnies I viewed with it. It could be my eyes but it seems to diffuse against a dark target (game) but seems good on paper.

I'm horribly colourblind so I can't comment on colour resolution - clarity is good, and the image is sharp.

Zoom functions smoothly, the included Butler Creeks do their thing as expected, finish is good and I can't see any obvious anomalies on the lenses.

As the light fails in my back garden tonight I will periodically check against one of my Prostaff scopes and update the thread accordingly.

If I get the time I will take a Prostaff rig and this one into one of my local shoot's woods and see how they compare as the light drops.

9. metalman

metalman Big Poster

Had a look through one at my local RFD early in the year but was not overly impressed to be honest. Like the AMD ret (use Connect) and was looking for another lightweight scope

Thought the adjustable parallax thing was something and nothing, just my opinion, sorry to be a bit negative

Stick with the Nikon :D you know it makes sense, that's what i have done

Wil be reading to see your conclusion, cheers Rich

10. 177

177 Donator

I'm not a fan of illuminated rets but I think this scope needs one.

Scanning targets 30 yards away at the bottom of the garden under the hedge as darkness is falling, I just can't see the centre cross at all against the dark background with the scope on 3x.

One of my Prostaff scopes is still happily able to see the same targets with the cross easily visible in the centre at the same mag.

I can still see the target through the MTC - it's not as easy to view as through the Prostaff, but I can't see it's centre cross against the background at all which effectively renders it useless.

If I turn the mag from 3x+ to my usual 6x I can pick out the centre cross on the MTC, but still not as easily as the Prostaff's ret.

Hmmmm.......

11. 177

177 Donator

OK, as expected, the Prostaff is infinitely brighter. It's still going strong :)

The MTC, well, isn't...

I think I can make it work on a .22LR, and I will try to for a couple of weeks. If it doesn't work out I will give it to a mate of mine after I've sorted another Prostaff out :rolleyes:

He does a lot of paper target shooting and it will be fine for that, mostly.

If I'm going to call a spade a bloody shovel, it's overpriced and noticeably under-performs.

Anyone who says otherwise has an agenda, or they have never had the opportunity to shoot with something in a similar price bracket that leaves the MTC for dust.

Keep in mind that both this MTC and the Prostaff are the same magnification range, the same objective lens size, the same tube size, neither one has AO, so on paper at least the specification is very close. Performance definitely isn't.

I've just had one last quick peep through both and the Prostaff still offers a viable shot. The MTC can't even pick the target out.

Ironically the MTC is more expensive than the Prostaff as well.

Go figure...

This cements my previous opinion of MTC

Should have bought the Hawke after all....

New Prostaff required ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  12. talent

talent Posting Addict

years ago when mtc was establishing itself as a company ... I asked the proprietor on another forum (mr c) if he bought them from a company that traded on madeinchina.com I Got an instant ban . I'll never buy mtc because .

13. 177

177 Donator

For the benefit of any doubters, the moment something comes along that's better than a Prostaff as an overall package in the same price bracket, rest assured that I'll be buying a bunch of them and using them.

Vortex Diamondback offers better low light performance than the Prostaff, but the BDC aim points are solid dots and they are further apart, making it less useful overall.

For my money the Prostaff BDC is still the best complete combination of a bunch of useful aim points and outstanding low light performance.

Also keep in mind that this is very objective, based largely on the fact that, unlike some reviewers, I stumped up my hard earned at RRP for the MTC so I'm calling it exactly how it is...

Based on past experience I expect this MTC to flare in bright conditions. If it doesn't, that will be a plus, and a first for me with MTC. As for the rest, see above...

14. Speed

Speed Busy Member

every mtc scope ive looked thru has been grainy and milky

had a look thru lee67's last night at atherton range, at 40 yard the mag had to be turned down to 6 mag to get any type of clear image, think he was a bit shocked at the quallity of my nikko at 15x mag

my hawke panorama is brilliant for a cheap scope,

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Agreed - fantastic quality for the money.

16. 177

177 Donator

I've had a couple of the Hawke Panorama's now.

I'm not a fan at all of the x50 Parorama's but the x40, by comparison, was pretty good overall and I can see why a lot of people like them, but they don't have anywhere near the low light performance of the Prostaff.

Been there.

Tried that.

My wallet doesn't much care for my scope 'research' :rolleyes:

17. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Funny thing is once id stumped out half what my car cost me or a PCP i wanted a top notch scope . So went for Hawke sidewinder , Well 3 ! 2 broken , apparently the spring system that adjusts the ret can weaken so not hold the lenses properly . Result zero rifle , next morning zero lost !! MTC iv got one now and was impressed till i had time to hunt in early summer evenings , Glare and white out awfull in sun shine , low light complete waste of time !! im now thinking of e baying all my scopes , getting an old school schmidt or zeiss fixed mag or low power zoom , the rest are basic cross hair but i just need to recognise my rile is up to the job and im a good enough shot . Time to stop buying these toy scopes :mad: I did start to wonder how side focus illuminated ret and zoom up to 32 x mag could be produced for just over £300 retail when the same spec schmidt is £3000 ! Answer , well it cant , Im going to be researching optics now im happy with my rile

18. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Same experience here, Nikons don't really suffer in any conditions other than nv add ons that I've used them in.

Bushnell legends are also excellent, but when I use a Nikon, it just feels more solid for some reason.

19. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Will you guys stop it with the bigging up of the Prostaffs :D .....just as I was happy with my aim points on my mamba light and HW100 and even ok with low light/lamping with the set up, I now have to go upstairs and dig our either the 3-9x40 BDC or 4-12x40 mil dot pro staffs I have and try them out! :p

I simply haven't got round to doing it yet and if I can improve on the low light capability then this is something I must do. In all honestly it's probably because I like the Side AO of the mamba light that's stopped me trying them before

cheers
    tim

20. 177

177 Donator

My last word on this scope

I got up early to foul weather, crappy light, steady grey rain pouring down, and the MTC couldn't pick out last night's target under the hedge at the bottom of the garden in the early hours, but the Prostaff could. Additionally, I couldn't use the ret centre cross even when the scope itself was able to pick the target out as the light 'improved' early this morning.

Work it out for yourself - same mag range, same objective size, same lack of AO, same tube size, the overall spec is close enough between the MTC and the Prostaff and marketing crap and product reviews that are very obviously NOT impartial would have you believe you are buying into a damn good scope.

You aren't, and it isn't.

I would have really liked this to be better than it is, especially given that my wallet is now substantially lighter and I could have had a Prosaff for slightly less had I only been patient enough to order one in.

I would place the Hawke Panorama ahead of this MTC (the Panorama is cheaper) for low light performance but neither can come close to the Prostaff on that front. Given that there are no saving graces here where you could argue that certain features ought to be taken into consideration, we are left with what I assume to be a rebadged lower end Nikko Stirling, as far as I am concerned.

I have tried a number of MTC scopes and found them wanting. This does have a degree of clarity and sharpness that previous MTC offerings haven't had, but that's about as much as I can say in its favour.

I was going to work with it for a couple of weeks to see how I get along with it but that idea is being shelved.

There is simply no point in leaving something on my rifle that will effectively shave at least half an hour off my early and late sessions. I prefer to shoot with the scope for as long as I can until I have no choice but to add a light source or some sort of NV rig. If I stayed with this scopes I will potentially lose an hour or more a day of unaided shooting. Given that I am a hunter, that is simply unacceptable.

Another Nikon Prostaff is being ordered this afternoon after I stupidly sold what I thought was a spare a week or so ago :(

I will give the MTC to a mate who does a lot of paper target shooting - it will be fine for that.

Anyone who is in my neck of the woods and wants confirmation of the above for themselves need only ask and they may view the alongside a Prostaff and draw their own conclusions.

Overpriced.

Poor performance.

I've had better from the Hawke Sport HD range, at less than half the price...

This is not a dig at anyone who uses MTC scopes - whatever works for you is fine.