1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Motogp - Should Rossi Retire?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Crom, Jul 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Crom

Crom Crom is your Göd

Once a great champion, however since Marquez started schooling him, Rossi has slipped further and further back on the grid, to the point of being laughed at by the Yamaha Satellite team and his Factory stable mate. Also marred by his childish vilification of Marquez that for me has tarnished his career.

Should he pack it in? I vote yes and the sooner the better.

That hurts likes this.
  2. EastmidsHD

EastmidsHD Keep pullin' that trigger..

I'm still a fan of Rossi, I think his frustration however is clear, he still has podium places in him and he still feels he may have another championship left in him.

I certainly don't think he should retire, the moto GP stable would not be the same without him, a bit like Simoncelli, who was one of my favourite characters and racers.

scoots and BiggaJ like this.
  3. Nubble

Nubble Donator

I reckon he should stay as it gives me something to laugh at when he falls off!
    :thumb:

Crom likes this.
  4. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Brilliant rider, but getting out shadowed by the younger crop of riders coming up through the ranks. Don't think he should retire just yet, but can't help feeling that he's not getting as much support from his team which might mean he'll move on and do some other motorsport like rallying ?

5. Gaz2121

Gaz2121 Gazza

It’s time he moved to world superbikes still a great rider . The goat :thumb:

That hurts likes this.
  6. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

Great rider, absolute . in motorcycle racing terms .... he was always going to get beaten at some point however, if he is still fit enough and feels up to it then any team would relish the insight and feedback he could give compared to all others. At least he is still having a go, I recall Casey Stoner walking away long before his time was up which to me is worse than staying on too long.

I Don't see the records Rossi has set being beaten for many years and when all said and done he is an unusually large figure in the pack compared to most other riders so again testament to his ability. The only blot on his books would be not getting the Ducati to be as competitive when he was riding but his was over shadowed by the ability he had in getting the Yamaha not only up the ranks when he first arrived there but actually winning the title in his first season with them. ....No one saw that coming.

9 world titles in 4 classes.

Gunfun likes this.
  7. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Would be an interesting move, but again there's a big group on the up and not sure he'd get a huge amount of factory/team support after an initial season. IMO he'd be better off going to four wheels as he's already proved he could be quick enough ...

https://www.autosport.com/other/news/140587/rossi-takes-victory-at-monza-rally-show

Would hate to see him disappear into obscurity on the bikes, just schlepping round for the money and fans, becoming a bit of a joke like Leon Haslem who just can't make the grade.

8. Crom

Crom Crom is your Göd

Eh? Marquez has 7 championships under his belt already (8 if you count this season - as I don't think anyone will catch him). All at the age of 26. So he has 14 years to get one more championship to match Rossi.

Soooooo "many years" could in reality equate to 18 months.

Honestly I feel this is the only reason that Yamaha keep him on at present - shirt sales. I bet he funds 90% of Yamaha's MotoGP cost on merchandise sales alone.

9. Crom

Crom Crom is your Göd

Yeah I agree - I just don't think he can match the young guys on cutting edge MotoGP bikes any more.

10. Crom

Crom Crom is your Göd

I'm a massive Diego Maradonna fan - but I don't think he should be playing any more ;)

I agree though he "was" one of my favourites, but his vilification of Marquez actually makes me feel sick when I think of it. The way he got his fans to hate Marquez and boo him at events is also sickening. Have you ever been to a MotoGP and heard Rossi fans when anything Marquez is mentioned? They are like moronic f######g animals, the latest I saw was at Phillip Island 2018 when Marquez got punted in the exhaust and came off... the Rossi fans near me were screaming like asylum lunatics that they hoped Marquez was dead!!! .... Many of them were from the UK.

Sorry but I really do feel Rossi has tarnished his status - which is really quite sad.

11. EastmidsHD

I get that but at the same time there have been many rivalries in moto GP over the years, it's just the way it is, I think Marquez in this instance is mature enough to realise this, I'm not condoning the behaviour of the fans but it's the same in football with local derby's, only difference is that in football fans almost do lose their lives.

Again it's horses for courses regarding whether Rossi should retire or not, I like him as previously mentioned and I hope he manages more race wins, if not I think he'll probably hang up his leathers if he feels the time is right?

Crom likes this.
  12. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Ahh yes, the Rossi fan club....:facepalm:

13. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

Didn't realise he had that many.

Although I would like to see Marquez do it on another machine ... as said Rossi made the Yamaha what it is/was ... no one gave it a chance when it first appeared but won first time out.

Would have loved to see Marquez on 500cc ... I bet he would be good to watch on one of those.

Rossi so far has 115 wins to his name with only Agostini ahead of him. Marquez has plenty of time to reach this level but so far you have to conclude Rossi in the modern era is still head and shoulders above the rest. Marquez is sixth on the list with 65 wins but still behind Hailwood and Lorenzo.

It only takes one or two knocks and he could be forgotten about. He could go to another manufacturer and it could all be over as Rossi nearly found out at Ducati. yes he could race for another 14 years but it could all be over next week!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  14. scoots

scoots Engaging Member

And why shouldn't he have a fan club...one of the the greatest of all time...its funny isn't it....as soon as agostini makes a statement about rossi....every idiot with half an inkling jumps on the bandwagon....Marquez is a fantastic talent without a doubt and I admire him...and once over rossi was the best....the fact he's still competing and he can at his age is admirable....it keeps it interesting ...should man u or Tottenham stop playing football cause they cant win **** all....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BiggaJ likes this.
  15. mikehill

mikehill Engaging Member

I think he should do whatever he and the race team wants. It’s got nothing to do with anyone else. He will always have his fans, me included :thumb:

Pete236, scoots and BiggaJ like this.
  16. Hopalong

Hopalong Busy Member

It's not a case of should Rossi retire, the decision is his, Yamaha will keep Rossi, that's if HE want's to continue, he is a massive draw in motorcycle racing and his name is hugely beneficial regards sales for Yamaha. Rossi, like many, can ride around many of the issues of handling etc, but at the end of the day, if the bike isn't working, he can't sort out the problem, the team have to do something to correct it. I wouldn't like to be in the position of knowing the bike I was risking my life by riding, was likely to kill me because it wasn't set up right or had a hidden fault. Remember with his 2 years at Ducati, it had problems, Ducati brought in Gigi Dall'inga, who took over and rebuilt the bike from the ground up, it was great from the off, but Rossi had left by then.
    He was and still is a massive character and knowing that he's racing, will have spectators flocking to the tracks, he enjoys riding, is still very competitive (if the machinery is working), so if he want's to keep riding, why not? Among the other riders is Karel Abraham, a satellite rider, is no doubt a decent rider by being in the class, but his father owns the Brno circuit, how often is it he gets close to Rossi?
    Marquez is a quality rider, like Rossi, has been 125 and 250cc champion, before moving into the big class, but not via the violent 500's. All riders crash, some more often than others, some more spectacularly and some with horrendous and life changing or ending results, it's the darker side of the sport. Marquez has been very lucky so far, he hasn't had a crash that's caused him any serious damage, but we know,that one small mistake, an equipment failure, something on the track or a completely outside factor, can change a life in a split second, it doesn't bear thinking about. Fingers crossed for all racers.
    Let those who want to race, do just that, it's their choice and we as spectators or armchair viewers, can continue to enjoy sport, where men are men and earn their every penny of their wages in a very dangerous word, (not like football playing cry babies).
    Mick Doohan almost lost a leg after his Assen crash in 92, he tried to come back at Laguna Seca, but crashed below the corkscrew, had he not crashed, he would have taken the championship that year, Rainey beat him to the title by 4 points. 93 was rebuild year and Kevin Schwantz took his only title, a great and tough rider who really should have won more. The next 5 years belonged to "Mighty Mick" and this was a guy with a fused ankle, many with this condition, are classed as disabled, a very hard man indeed. Last week Cal Crutchlow broke his leg last week, yet managed to get on the podium on Sunday, yes, bike racers are hard men. When I was a kid, I watched lots of Scrambling, later to become Motocross, yes, I'm that old, I can remember Smith, Bickers, Vic Eastwood and Brian Goss on Grandstand on Saturday afternoon, my dad used to joke, "a rider can lose a leg in the first race and grow another one for the second", me not realising at the time, he was telling me how tough racers are.

Let them ride and hang on for all you're worth.

BiggaJ, Pete236 and scoots like this.
  17. Crom

Crom Crom is your Göd

Nope, but they want to be competitive, once players get past it they retire them for younger talent... :facepalm:

18. EastmidsHD

absolutely crack on!! I hate football with a passion, overpaid primadonna's , get tackled and spend the next 5 minutes rolling up and down the length of the pitch, bike racers, break bones and are itching to get back on the very thing that had them off and get stuck back in - proper big b0ll0cks :thumb:

BiggaJ, scoots and Douglas Soal like this.
  19. Crom

Crom Crom is your Göd

I've been all over the World watching motorsport and never heard or seen anything like Rossi fans in the last 5 - 6 years. It really puts me off, to the point where I see a bunch of Rossi fans at a venue and avoid them.... let me say it again, these people are shouting/screaming/hoping a rider with DIE just so their man will win. There is simply NO excuse for that and never will be. Then there's the booing when Marquez wins, it's just bringing the sport down to gutter level.

The really sad thing I was an avid Rossi fan, but his (and his fans) treatment of Marquez and his childish antics actually pushed me away from Rossi and put me in Marquez's camp. I guess your true colours show when you face a bit of adversity :down:

20. Crom

Crom Crom is your Göd

You mean the same bike that Vinales and Quateraro have been riding all season? ;)