1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Most important apect of field target

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Bemused, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

As the title, wondering what is most important.

The rifle, lets assume its a reasonable pcp.

The scope, lets assume its reasonable but far from perfect.

Range markings, click and setup.

Pellets, lets roll them in with the rifle and say it groups OK.

Knowing your kit, its strengths and weaknesses.

Clothing?

Or is it rifle / stock fittment, is it off the shelf or custom fitted.

As an absolute beginner I would appreciate your comments.
    I am leaning towards stock fitment.

Regards
    Tony

2. milek

milek Honorary Member

I would say practice above all but that's obvious. However, stock is very important to me and here's why. I shoot a Ripley for HFT which has a GC fully adjustable FT stock. I score well on occasion with it. It's accurate. I have an R-10 that is easily the most accurate air rifle I have ever used. If I could have the same adjust-ability on the R-10 it would be my rifle of choice.

3. thumbhole

thumbhole Keyboard Hero

Milek, get GC, to make you a stock for the R10. I had two rapid 17s in Gary Cane FT stocks had adjustable cheek piece adjust butt and adjustable palm rest, etc was by far my most comfortable rifle and always shot it well alas, I no longer have it. We had a big vet bill and it went to pay that. :eek: As for whats best for FT a good fitting gun thats accurate with a decent scope Big Nikko minimum if you want to be in with a chance of the silverware. :)

4. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

Hi Tony, before you go too far down the track of choosing kit, what is it about Field Target shooting that is floating your boat.
    Have you joined a club or literally just starting out and never shot FT before?
    Have you tried Hunter Field Target.
    Just trying to get a handle on where you are coming from in order to offer any limited advice I might be able to offer.
    Dave

5. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Dave, been shooting for just over 5 months, benchresting at 25 yards to start with, then 35, then 35 yards and 6mm blanks. Eventuallly 6mm blanks at 45 yards. All this in a still wind.

Suddenly it was all boring, most shots would hit the 6mm blank target and go BANG.

Three weeks ago I made my first visit to a field target club, I had a walk round with a couple of guys, and quite fancied a go at the next meet two weeks later.

So two weeks worth of practice, I started off being unable to hit the plate even at 15 yards. Never shot unsupported before.

Last week I returned to the club with a rifle this time and shot 41 ex 60, nailed both standers and kneelers. So its a crappy score but I was most pleased with my improvement over just weeks scoring far over what I expected. Still get pain from sitting but now only slight. A couple of hours after my first 15 minute practice
    sitting session I couldn't get out of the arm chair! I am not a young man anymore.

So whot do I like about FT?
    The variables, range, angle and wind.
    Unsuported shooting is so challenging.
    Only eats up a Sunday morning, for me this is important as I do lots of other stuff.

Never tried HFT, don't like the idea of prone and mud :)

I have a rifle, scope and bean bag and a huge enjoyment of improving.

Tony

6. walker

walker Busy Member

I think the most important factor is head position consistency. Getting your head in the same position for every shot is massively important.

7. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Yes practice, practice, practice.
    But rather than getting carried away with gadgets, new rifles, scopes etc I did a little stock bodging and it seems most effective.

8. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks, still a big variable for me, three weeks ago I took my first sitting shot and fell over!
    Now I've padded out the butt and comb a little and it made a big difference.

9. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

that must of been a big course. The largest FT I have shot was a 50 target competition. i would not be able to sit down again after 60:D

10. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Perhaps my mistake not understanding terminoligy.
    15 lanes, two targets a lane, each target shot twice.
    0 - miss, 1 - plate, 2 - kill.

I shot each target once to reduce pain, so a max possible score for me of 60, the others shot twice with a max score of 120.

11. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Thats HFT scoring mate:). Unfortunately in FT only one point for a knockdown, nothing for a plate:(. Sounds like you shot a bit of a mash up (good fun though) as it sounds like you shot from the FT seated position but scored HFT style. What was the max range you shot to? 45yds is max for HFT but 55yds for FT.

12. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks for explaining.
    One lane standing, one kneeling, thirteen sitting. Out to 55 yards although at the time I thought I
    it was 50 and had no range or clicks marked above 50.

Was just a club day, some youngsters resting on fence posts, perhaps a dozen shooters seemed very serious but most seemed quite leisurely but they all mostly shot in order and did not cheat! Some had score cards, some did not bother.

I saw no one prone.

The shoot was at Byley.

13. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

So FT score was 13 ex 30 ?
    I had 13 knock downs out of 30 possibles.

14. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Maybe I picked up a HFT score card by mistake... LOL

15. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Takes a bit of getting used to but yes 13ex30 sounds right. Sounds like you enjoyed it and thats whats most important.

16. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Alot of FT clubs use 2 points for a kill which is the old/original FT scoring long before HFT existed, though for proper competions its 1point for a kill.
    Consistency is the most important thing but that will envolve every aspect, though enjoying yourself or relaxing is importent to me but then again i dont see me being world champion any time soon.