1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Morning Woodland ~ Greys On The Increase.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Shoto1, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

It was a warm start to proceedings in the ancient wood this morning.
    The sun already burning through, upon my early arrival.

416418C6-5F8E-4072-85E1-EBD75975E99D.jpeg

I also visited yesterday, primarily to retrieve / check another trail camera and inspect the feeders; in particular the new one, further in the wood.

The greys have started chewing the edges of the feeder platform. (Image from this morning).

56BA8A37-23C5-4B9E-BA6A-90292A45398D.jpeg

I was setup in the new camo hide chair, which is working very well; the portability is great.

14553E97-F7C4-4471-9B00-F5B06E96A2F9.jpeg

Once again it was the .22 350mm barrel Leshiy/ JSB Hades / coffee and Twix combo. :cool:

56101A73-071D-4B7B-BC7B-02895B6CC9DE.jpeg

Four taken during the session, but it could have been more, as I wasted some other opportunities and only had limited time on this visit.

I observed from the hides side window that one grey came to a stop within a few feet, before bouncing towards the feeder for a clean dispatch.
    Clearly demonstrating how well concealed I was.
    As long as they don’t see movement, all should be well....

710DBD84-562E-4A2B-B2C1-0C35BCAC5E35.jpeg

I feel the decision to install a new feeder will pay dividends in the coming weeks.
    The trail camera picked up over 900 visits during the last week...:eek:
    There was constant squirrel traffic, from early morning to sunset.

I need to plan a full days shooting and pack a stack of Twix bars..

Roll on next weekend.

2. Dr B

Dr B Journeyman

Great shooting Bud. :thumb: Looks like a busy summer ahead.

Shoto1 and steevie dan like this.
  3. ibo7

ibo7 Post Whore

Great shooting and now I'm craving twix now:D

Marky-Boy, Shoto1 and steevie dan like this.
  4. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Major Poster

Great shooting and great pics Shoto1:thumb:, Give me a shout next time you go, I like Twix bars:D

5. steevie dan

steevie dan Big Poster

Excellent as usual mate, well done.

Marky-Boy and Shoto1 like this.
  6. hairyarms

hairyarms .

Good shooting Anthony :up:. The greys are getting a right bashing lately.

7. Brooksy

Brooksy Busy Member

Nice job mate. I went to my feeder location on Friday afternoon and shot five in just over an hour and a half. Then wife rang for a lift home from work, which is on my way home so I wasn't too bothered, the supply had dried up as it happened.
    It seems to me that there are territories where the squirrels are concerned, so each time I knock off the dominant residents, it takes a day or two for the underlings to make their move into the area. Does anybody else have the same opinion or am I imagining it?

As for the Twix, I agree with your choice, after all, Topic bars are taboo... What has a hazelnut in every bite? Why, it's squirrel sh*te isn't it?

Shoto1 likes this.
  8. themadspread

themadspread Donator

good job done shoto:thumb:

9. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

@Brooksy

Thanks - I think you’re correct about territories etc.
    It doesn’t take long for an area to repopulate.

‘Topic bar’ Lol - I laughed like a drain. :D:up:

10. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Sure thing @oedbachgen

I stocked up on the way home; here is your one :p

62582CDF-5D56-4BF5-B3D7-0EA0F4DD6A32.jpeg

oedbachgen, Cochise, David M and 2 others like this.
  11. Marky-Boy

Marky-Boy Just The Two + 1

AWSOME!
    Beautiful pics
    Great shooting mate
    Likey A Lot!

oedbachgen, rizla1 and Shoto1 like this.
  12. Marky-Boy

Ps is your Permission in heaven?
    (That’s the beer)
    That first pic is absolutely stunning
    Stunning
    Stunning
    STUNNING!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    rizla1 and Shoto1 like this.
  13. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Cheers ~ it’s a little piece of heaven.

Most definitely, without doubt, my favourite permission..:)

Marky-Boy likes this.
  14. rizla1

rizla1 The welsh shepherd.

Nice shooting and great pictures :thumb:
    Im a kit kat man myself :D

Shoto1 and Marky-Boy like this.
  15. Marky-Boy

Beautiful mate Beautiful lucky boy

Shoto1 likes this.
  16. Jagdwaffen

Jagdwaffen Suns up guns up

Great post Anthony

17. robs5230

robs5230 If it's a springer, it will be oversprung

Nice shooting Anthony.
    Just renewed on of my grey perms today so I'll be giving it some shortly.
    After thinking I'd hit them hard over winter, they haven't half reproduced.

I must sort a feeder. I like the look of yours

18. Dr B

Dr B Journeyman

Hi Brooksy
    No, squirrels are not territorial in a 'pure' sense. But they are in a soft sense. So, there can be dominant males and females, but they all share and cross-breed within a space - so no they are not dominant in that sense, but there can be a pecking order in terms of feeding and drey occupation - but its not extreme..:thumb:

Cochise and Shoto1 like this.
  19. Dr B

Dr B Journeyman

Use a flip top, would be my advice....:thumb:....best of luck....

Shoto1 likes this.
  20. Dag

Dag Very Active

I've often wondered about this over the last six years, which was when I bought my first rifle and then got my first grey. It was September 2013 and we had squirrels all over my garden (I live about quarter of a mile inside the M25 in Surrey) and with holes appearing in the lawn and concerns over plant and tree damage, not to mention a love of songbirds, I decided to start culling them.
    In the first couple of weeks I had shot about ten greys and then noticed instead of seeing them every day it would be a day or so before a couple would appear and be dispatched. By the Christmas I had shot approximately 30 greys and by the following Christmas the total was about 85.
    From then on it seemed as if I could go a week or so without seeing one and then get two or three in a week. I also noticed that for about a couple of hundred yards around my house the population was less dense and I wasn't seeing them as frequently as when we moved in.
    I have continued to put out Tesco's hazlenut and chocolate spread but don't bother nowadays unless I see one in the vicinity of my garden and then I can almost guarantee it will pick up the smell and I will get it within a day or two.
    Jump forward to today and I am waiting to see any sign of number 200, as number 199 was dispatched a week ago. I feel really good about my 'control' of greys in this area as there is no doubt they have been thinned out and merely trickle back in, unlike six years back when there was a high level of activity. Six years ago I never saw thrushes or many baby birds and I am sure the greys and magpies were responsible, especially as the magpies would be seen in flocks, or is it parliaments, of up to seventeen........but no longer! Today the garden is full of baby thrushes, blackbirds, tits and robins, and I can hear birdsong at a level I had almost forgotten existed in our gardens.
    Oh dear, two maggies have just flown over the garden, pity I can't do anything to control them any more..........:rolleyes: ( that's me looking wistfully up at them!)
    Jim

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    phil.m, jimbouk and Shoto1 like this.