1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bad news More idiots in Cov.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jim of Cov, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Jim of Cov

Jim of Cov Donator

2. ishooter

ishooter Engaging Member

I no people complain about a ticket, but i think in a way it could wean out scum like this

3. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Obviously this is wrong and you shouldnt shoot anyones pet or any animal that isnt on the gl ...but if he kept his cat in it wouldnt of happened ...iv always got cats messing in my garden and jumping up my avairy scaring my birds half to death .iv lost quite a few becuase of it a d when you tell the owners they dont care .....now iv never and would never shoot one but I do throw what ever comes to hand at em ...I think they should be kept in then things like this wouldn't happen atb

4. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Good point es if it was a dog disurbing live stock or avairy birds chickens ect ect the powers that be would destroy it cats should be kept in the damage they do is undetected by most esp cat owners atvb dave g

5. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Totally agree matey, I know we're trying to avoid a licensing system at all costs but sometimes you gotta wonder if it might be a good thing !

What gets on my tit's is they always presume it's someone with a "Rifle" who's to say it's not some t**t with an "illegal pistol"...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  6. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Your own post explains why a ticket wont work with the illegal pistol remark people will still get access to air gun and weather there on ticket or not only people to suffer will be responsible shooters stiffer sentances for morons what shoot pets would be better

7. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Yeah your probably rite, just p****s me off they automatically jump on the "Its someone with an air rifle" wagon the fact that it probably is is irrelevant they need to be certain of it before they accuse air rifle shooters in general !!!...

8. gargloit

gargloit Posting Addict

Would it be impolite to suggest that anyone convicted of such a crime should be sentenced to a term as a target frame at an airgun club within travelling distance?

More seriously, the question, or at least the answer, IMO, to licensing depends upon the type of licence adopted. Anything resembling Section 1 FAC will effectively ban airguns. But what about the old way, where you get your airgun licence from the post office, write upon it the serial number of your airgun and send the details off to a register organisation? Take the instance reported. Someone might call the police and give a name of someone who has an airgun in the vicinity. The police attend and search the house, finding an air rifle. Now, even if the rifle is of the same calibre that shot the cat, and the pellets are found to be the same, without an admission there is no proof that the owner shot the cat. But, it is to be hoped that people who shoot cats might be unlikely to obtain an licence or register the offending airgun. So, at least the police have a chance of charging the owner with an offence of holding an unlicensed airgun.

9. Spireiteboy

Spireiteboy Active Member

Thats a really good idea about the licence. With a bit of tweaking it could really work.

10. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Whether it was a rifle or pistol I fail to see the difference. At the end of the day the vet took a pellet out of it so therefore it was an airgun and irrelevant if it was a rifle or a pistol so fail to see your point.

11. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Thats fine mate, you've obviously got your opinion so I won't bother trying to explain !!!...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  12. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

I've got three cats, and anything along the lines of this makes my blood boil.

Two of mine are housecats, from kittens as I'm worried about what would happen to them in the outside world. One is a twelve year old tom with one eye, who used to live under my shed. I've no idea how he lost his eye, and it took me months of coaxing, but now he's part of the family. He's the only one that goes outside, at most he'll venture into the neighbour's garden, 'cos they get the sun longer and all he does is bake/retreat to shade and repeat. I'm the only one with fresh dug soil too, so don't mind his doings.

There's a few unsavouries in my neighbourhood, and if summat like this happened to one of mine I'd make it my mission to track 'em down. The old boy in the article has the exact same frame of mind as me.

I'm not gonna drag the licensing into it, 'cos it won't make a blind bit of difference here in Scotland. The only people that will apply are the law abiding shooters. The other million guns are going to be under the radar, and the only people to get their collar felt are the ones that have registered theirs. It's a load of pish.

13. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Sadly this kind of incident isn't always perpetrated by hooligans or mindless thugs as the media would have us believe.It's sometimes carried out by seemingly respectable people who don't like cats and moreover,for whatever reason, don't want them in their garden.The unfortunate animal may have been shot by someone who,unbeknown to his neighbours, secretly possesses an airweapon,possibly a pistol as Tornado 57 said, for that very purpose.I don't think licensing air rifle/pistols would stop anything like this happening because unlike a firearm it would be virtually impossible to link the incident to a particular rifle/pistol,unless knowing that the rifle/pistol was registered would act as a deterrent to any potential offender.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  14. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

I hate seeing stuff like this, but there is some discrepancies in the article:
    "At first, I thought he’d been attacked by a dog, but when the vet looked at Ozzie’s leg in an X-Ray machine, we saw the air gun pellet."
    "Ozzie would have been in a great deal of pain. On the X-ray, we found that his leg had been shattered by the pellet, and that it had entered his abdomen and lodged itself in his bladder."
    “It was pretty high velocity, and we had to go into his abdomen in surgery to find the pellet and see if it had damaged any of his organs, luckily it hadn’t.

So the pellet was found in the leg during an xray, but the pellet was actually in the bladder, but no organs were damaged...
    I feel for the cat owner as I love my cat, but this story seems to be a bit iffy in details, like the owner who contacted the paper exaggerated the story a bit in order to rally anti-shooting emotions.

15. husky

husky Donator

Looking at the artical the vet says he has quite a few cats with gunshot woonds I wonder if itculd be a cat hater. I have heard people talking about what they wuld like to do with cats and shooting them seems to be high on there list. I asked a couple of people why they dont like cats and the most comon answer is they kill songbirds. I dred to think what they wuld do if someone told them what other wildlife prade on small songbirds. I suspect the countryside wuld resemble a battlefield.

16. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Just put them in wheelie bins like that other cat hater :rolleyes:

17. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

18. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Most of these stories are regurgitated cr@p from yesteryear!

19. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

I think the licence/ticket idea would be bad for situations like this, say you live in the area where this happens and you had a ticket/licence and you are a sensible shooter but also around the corner from you is an idiot with a air gun and no licence/ticket who in fact did shoot the cat... The police would look on their list of gun owners in the area and be knocking on your door and badgering you to see your guns or even taking them away for testing and what not... Whilst the real offender sits without a care in the world!

As for the cat I do feel sorry that its been shot but also at the same time I wonder what provoked the Person that shot it to do such a thing?
    Has the cat attacked some ones prized pets maybe? I know my father has show pigeons and he has a cat the always lurks around his pigeons... But he just gets his jet hose out and squirts it away :)

Cheers, Greg.

20. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

What testing could the police do in these circumstances? can they do ballistics testing to see if the pellet was fired from a particular air gun/rifle like powder burners? Apart from the same lead composition (if they discovered pellets with any gun) what else could they do to prove it was the gun used? I don't think there's much that would link it so they would need to find other sources of concrete evidence.