1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Moderator Internals

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Josh K, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Josh K

Josh K Not enough range time....

I'm looking to improve the internals on a BSA VC silencer as the felt barely goes all the way around the "hair curlers" so it's hardly as effective as it could be.

I've seen various threads whereby people have adapted their silencers but I'm looking for recommendations for replacement felt. I've got a Huub shroud and really like the yellow felt that is used so if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Josh

2. noz

noz Engaging Member

Many car air filters have a layer of felt around the paper element. Also, sewing supplies shops are worth a look. Basically, it is trial and error. Good luck!

Gary Jones likes this.
  3. Josh K

Josh K Not enough range time....

I like the fact that the Huub shroud uses thin felt that is then wrapped around the baffle several times unlike the thicker BSA stuff which barely meets.

4. bucketboy

bucketboy Keyboard Hero

Try yellow craft felt, nearly as good as orange craft felt:D

Seriously, just use craft felt in whatever colour floats your boat.

Bb

5. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

2mm craft felt good for wrapping.

I am a pink man myself..... :oops:

IMG_20190927_143018.jpg

Also been trying narrower hair curlers...

6. wsnaith

wsnaith Donator

Nice to see you’re embracing your feminine side

7. Richard Ellis Jones

Richard Ellis Jones Engaging Member

I've experimented with different types of felt comparing them to the benchmark standard of hw100 mod felt.
    If you can pass breath through the felt when pressing it against your lips it's not going to be very good.
    The hw100 felt not only absorbs sound but also the impact of the air blast.
    If you've ever stripped a hw100 mod to clean you'll see the dimple marks on the felt where it's taken the shock of the blast against the rollers which it covers.
    Too soft a felt then it won't dampen the sound thus not being a good sound insulator.
    Just wish weihrauch would sell that felt!

8. Paul55

Paul55 Posting Addict

I tried some 2mm craft felt in my VC & it has changed the sound level a little bit. Still not what I'd call quiet.

9. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

you need the air to pass through the felt under pressure, the idea is to slow the air down, not to stop it... thats how it gets dispersed and slowed before exiting the barrel and being quieter, remember the air is moving at much higher pressure than you can blow out. i think a few layers of thinner material would be more effective than 1 thick one as it should break up the airflow more

10. sharpsman

sharpsman Posting Addict

I bought bought pink felt from boyes in there habidashery bit , it's a lot quieter than the usual colour , it just goes pooof now - sorry cold not resist lol

Rye, 32:1, sagalout and 1 other person like this.
  11. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

Sounds stupid but put a very thin piece of felt trapped in front of each washer in your moderator and shoot through it. This doesn't seem to affect accuracy but does add to the moderation.......

12. 32:1

32:1 Theoben user

Not quite right bud, soft absorbs noise and hard reflects it. Ive made some very quiet shrouds and its the chambers and baffle holes that have the greatest effect, during testing Ive seen very little difference between the bare intetnals and after adding any felt. I get to work with sound deadning as part of my job at an exhaust company and test allsorts of stuff and have tried various things in my airgun mods, even the felt supports or curler perforations have an effect, you need as big a percentage of 'perf' as you can but it still needs to support the deadening material.
    Im not sure what bucketboy does internally but he makes some excellent stuff

Chris

13. 32:1

32:1 Theoben user

Dont worry about the felt, its the chambers and baffles that you need to play with

I dont know the vc silencer so Im guessing, if it has three chambers try making it 4 or 5 and make chambers various capacities, Id also remake baffles with as small of a hole as possible and as thin as possible. Also fun trying is the very last exit hole as sometimes making that one larger gives a softer note, and sometimes small gives a sharper more noticeable note but experiment yourself its fun

Chris

14. metalman

metalman Keyboard Hero

With a back venting mod, i have had improvement by having the first baffle “double thickness “, pushing more air to the rear

15. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

Also keep a eye on the tolerances. This is today's testing, before and then after widening the baffle washers by about 1mm.
    At 40m mk1 wildcat in 177 with 4.52 h&n ftt.
    Before....
    IMG_20191002_151446.jpg

I was actually aiming for the cross top right of the picture!
    After...

IMG_20191002_151602.jpg

talent likes this.
  16. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

I also think fx had it right first time with the mk1 wildcat shroud. It has no rollers, felt or baffles, but is pretty quiet out of the box.
    Not sure why they changed it since?

What it does have is this end cap, which effectively redirect the air backward in the shroud. Which is why I don't like adding the hugget as you have to remove this to fit the moderator....

IMG_20191002_153503.jpg

17. Wewekokowe

Wewekokowe Engaging Member

18. Brooksy

Brooksy Posting Addict

That's exactly how the Vortex end cap on the Theoben silencers worked. I use cages made from 20 mm plastic conduit with 6 mm slots cut out with a Dremmel disc cutter. I wrap them with craft felt until they're just thick enough to slide into the tube with a little resistance. Even copying the HW pattern of 3 chambers, long, short, long, makes a huge difference. The cages in the photo were short, longer, longest, all separated by Delrin discs with a 6 mm hole centre for a .20 pellet, which is 5 mm.
    My cousin works for Daystate and when I fired the Rapid, he swore it was out of air it was so quiet!
    By the way, the original design of the cages came from Bucketboy, and he made the Delrin discs for me, so I can't claim all of the credit.

20180922_111557.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  19. Roger Wilkes

Roger Wilkes Roger

One other items to look up for the "wadding" would be vacuum cleaner or lawnmower / generator airfilters( secondary type usually oil proof)( not foam ones) online,Bob Dyas,
    Garden centres/ mower shops DIY sheds etc

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  20. sagalout

sagalout Apparently I need more guns.

@Josh K I got a rake of honda air filter foams for my wakker plate if you want try some of that.