1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Moderated Shotguns

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by BigSteve#72, Jul 23, 2020.

1. BigSteve#72

BigSteve#72 Posting Addict

I've been trying to get hold of a decent 2nd hand moderated .410 shotgun without any success. I'm considering opening up my options to a 20G and was wondering if there was a significant increase in sound generated by a 20G compared to the .410
    What would be the pros and cons in going up to a 20G?

Cheers

Steve.

Brandon James and Chouchin66 like this.
  2. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Major Poster

None, i've dropped as many water fowl & upland game W/a .410 bore as any other.. Ammo may be a trifle more expensive, yet , on target is ...on target. Several degrees of wounded, only one degree of dead... Hold ' em tight, all will be good... All bore size gives is a bit more lead in the air+ more powder blast..more noise
    Only a certain % will hit target anyway,( pattern your gun!) yet all will hit w/ near same
    velocity.. Less recoil= tighter shot= accuracy..others may defer - this is my experience...prevalence is full choked for waterfowl, improved cylinder for skeet & upland , modified for all' round use...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  3. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

4. BigSteve#72

I've had a look on Gun Trader and seen some nice examples 2nd hand. By the time you add on the delivery and two sets of RFD fees the extra cost doesn't make them such a good deal. Plus most RFD's I've spoken to now require you to send them your SGC so that they can transfer the gun, that would require special postage to lessen the chance of it being lost in the post:facepalm:

2506sendero likes this.
  5. 2506sendero

Yes mate, it's not always straight forward to find what you want at a local (ish) RFD and I feel your pain :thumb:

6. 2506sendero

7. BigSteve#72

I missed a moderated Baikal at an RFD twenty miles from me by 24 hours. I phoned them yesterday evening asking and was told 'I only sold one yesterday evening'. Gutted to say the least.

8. 2506sendero

If that is the one i've just linked you to then they need to update their website then :facepalm:

9. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

20g pumps in their standard form will be louder than a .410 but have a considerably longer kill range. .410= max 35 yards 20 Bore= max 50 yards.

A 20 gauge can be made as quiet as a .410 but requires another baffle set and a special choke at a cost of £ 180 or so.

A single barrel .410 is quietest.

.410 pump 20 gauge single barrel and and 20 gauge pump with the modifications are next quietest all about the same level.

Then you have 20 gauge pump standard and 20 gauge double barrel a bit louder.

Then 12 gauge single barrel and 12 gauge modified pump louder again.

With 12 gauge pump loudest.

I have had them all. I still have 3 of them.

IF I were only getting one it would need to be multi shot and have a good range I would go for a 20 gauge pump with a wad slowing choke and extra baffle set. 50 yard range and VERY quiet.

If budget was an issue I would look for a second hand 20 gauge standard pump.

If weight were an issue I would go for a 20 gauge double barrel.

If only creeping up on stuff like squirrels in woodland or farmyard shooting crows and feral I would consider .410.
    For decoying rabbit shooting roost shooting and so on the 20 has better range and can be made as quiet as .410 with the modified pump gun.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    lone wolf, lee71, frenchy3 and 2 others like this.
  10. BigSteve#72

I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and apparently even though they are advertising both them and the mossbergs as in stock they are waiting on a delivery as there is currently a shortage to to the backlog at the proof house:facepalm:. Maybe due to the same reason is why second hand guns are like hens teeth at the moment.

2506sendero likes this.
  11. BigSteve#72

It will be used for around farm buildings mainly and maybe a bit of walked up woods shooting :thumb:

12. Brandon James

Brandon James Brano

I've a single Baikal .410 hushpower and it's great all round. Very quiet and preferred ammo is 3in Eley subs.

A semi would be handier so you're not restricted to one shot but it suits my needs.

Popgun and 2506sendero like this.
  13. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Used Hushpowers are supposed to be quieter than new ones as they get coked-up and this is meant to aid sound suppression.

14. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

The 20bore ou hush power is very good. So good fella I know stopped buying subsonics for his and uses standard 20bore carts
    It's the full length moderated one, looks like a drainpipe with a brass pip on the end.
    Plus points can use heavier carts more shot in them to shoot longer ranges. Easy to load your own if that's your thing and can save you money on subsonics.
    .410 is lighter but can't shoot as far carts are expensive for what you get. If not using many it may be a better choice. This one was £560 so should find others around that price. Copy (2) of Hushpower 002 (Small) (4).jpg

BigSteve#72 likes this.
  15. BigSteve#72

I've just got off the phone to an RFD that's about 40 minutes drive from me. Asked the question if they had any moderated .410 shotguns in stock and they replied 'yes - Baikal single shot and a Mossberg pump action'.
    Going to pay them a visit tomorrow my only decision is which do I go for?

2506sendero likes this.
  16. 2506sendero

Mossy pump every time!

3Hc4.gif

:D

BigSteve#72 and WR14210 like this.
  17. RED DOG

RED DOG Posting Addict

that's not a mossberg,, that's a 1887 Winchester lever action shotgun.

BigSteve#72 and 2506sendero like this.
  18. 2506sendero

I know - poetic licence was required on this occasion :) :thumb:

magicstu and BigSteve#72 like this.
  19. BigSteve#72

Reading previous comments I really am torn now between .410 and 20 gauge with the latter giving me more scope of use:facepalm:

2506sendero likes this.
  20. RED DOG

RED DOG Posting Addict

have you set your mind on a moderated 410, I found the fully moderated versions were always robbed of effectiveness for sake of being a little quieter.

a 410 with a can type mod was much better in my experience.

BigSteve#72 likes this.