1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice mk4 vs hw100 & s200

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tomsteebs, Dec 27, 2013.

?

who's the popular performe?

1. Mk4

28.6%
  2. hw100

65.7%
  3. s200 mk1/mk2

5.7%
  4. brocock contour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

mk4 vs hw100 & s200 & contour

Hi,
    thinking of getting one, and dont mind the odd poll to see how people view things.

My criteria is,

Accuracy (i believe the gun definitely makes a difference)
    Reliability
    Balance
    Trigger (can be nodded though)

My thoughts are s200 or hw. I just don't really trust electronics :)

But I've heard they are super accurate? :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Three very different guns, but i don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them, as for accuracy, all modern decent PCP's are accurate otherwise there wouldn't be much point to them.

As always when buying anything, you need go and see them in the flesh, shoulder them and even shoot with them if possible. I have a Mk 4 and two HW100's, i don't own an S200 but have experience with them, so here's how i've found the guns to be:

S200 Awesome rifle, some might class as more entry level into PCP's but it's a very good buy, and for the money you can't go wrong, no problem with accuracy at all.

Mk4 Don't worry abouth the electronics, Daystates do go wrong but, it's rarely related to the electronics. this gun is very efficient, consistent and has a good shot count, very clinical gun to shoot. The only downside i have experienced with these guns is, the mag system can be problematic and for guns of this price tag i would expect better.

HW100 I'm a big fan of these guns, they are designed and built to a very high standard and have the best finish you'll see on any PCP nowadays, superb cocking system, can't be double loaded, and has an unusual but very efficient regulator. A real awesome rifle one of, if not the best PCP's around.

Drawbacks, the full length rifle is a bit heavy for some but, there is a shorter lighter "K" (carbine) version available but, with a lower shot count. Some say they're ugly? i never look at a tool that way, i shoot with a gun not take it to lunch.
    The only issue i've ever had with any that i've owned is, Hull Cartridge pack too much grease around the hammer/shuttle assembly, this can cause power fluctuations depending on weather/temp. It's very easy to rectify though

As i say, three great rifles but all very different and with very different price tags, so it's a personal choice really, you need to go and have a look at them ;)

3. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

I see you've edited and added the contour to your list, another good gun, and very different to the other three, low shot count though ;)

4. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Thankyou for the info, I have owned an s200 and use a hw100 (old quickfill model) but the mk4 is an unknown for me in comparison. Also the contour I've only handled.

Honestly not all pcps are as accurTe as eachother, they might be at 25yards but after that I want hw100 accuracy :)

5. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

You have picked very different rifles there mate and only you no what you like .we all have our opinions on whats best .but the mk4 is in a different league to the rest of them . The difference between the hw100 to the contour or s200 is about the same difference between the mk4 and the hw100 imo.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  6. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

big statement!

i chucked the contour in there as a wildcard. personally i rate the s200 as on par with hw100 accuracy wise, but yes it has alot more functionality and weight ;)

7. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

What's already been said really - its all personal choice. Also depends what type of shooting. If you want light then S200 or Contour. After that they are all in the mix. Its best to shoulder them - or even shoot them, then make a decision.

I already have a S200 and a HW so my next PCP may well be a daystate for no other reason as I want one :)
    cheers
    Tim

8. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

I have a contour and Its as accurate as any other pcp iv owned .it does have a very low shot count but its very lite . You can hold it for hours and i mainly use it when we are going for a long walk and have to jump fences and ditches etc and compared to other rifles there cheap so if you damage it or anything it doesnt really matter as much ....this is only my opinion mate but thats how i see it atb

9. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

good to know, as all ive heard about brocock is bad things. bad build quality, bad service, accuracy issues...

10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

cheers, this is why i ask about performance as if i was to ask a generic (best, or hunting etc....) people would probably just rule out guns for reasons like looks, and multishot, guages etc....

i would look into air rangers but i dont see the need for the weight and size of the bottles on them (same as theobens)

11. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

My one hasnt had any problems at all and theres alot of brocock fans on here but I believe you get what you pay for .they are a cheap rifle compared to others so if you did get a couple of teething problems they could soon be sorted

12. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Are you having a laugh? Contour for me was one of the best guns I ever owned, only reason I got rid was the low shot count and brocock have now fixed this with the new range of contours and also have a fill gauge fitted. Very very accurate guns and surprisingly built like tanks I should know I dropped mine 3 times once from about 3 and half foot onto a concrete floor and the only thing damaged was the silencer . Had more rabbits with that gun in the 6 months I had it than any other rifle. Don't believe me about accuracy? Watch this http://youtu.be/3xrn0ivj2KQ

13. milek

milek Honorary Member

What will you use it for? targets/hunting or both. My Contour was capable of everything that my MK4 does with accuracy as good as my Ripley. It was also faultless in every way. For hunting it was the gun I would choose over the others. It was perhaps not so good for HFT as the shot-count was borderline and the trigger not it's best point.

My MK4 is a very accurate rifle and certainly a looker. Trigger is a peach; mag system gives rubbish grouping so I use the single shot tray even when hunting. I think the engineering on this rifle is reasonable.

The S200 I have only ever tried a few times and bridges the gap between the Contour and the MK4 at least in shot count. It was accurate as any and the mag system on that was excellent.

I have only tried a few HW100's and I can't find anything that they do badly. If I were in a similar position to you, with the choices you mention, I would go for the HW100. The engineering on these is very good. All my own opinion of course.

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I don't really dedicate a gun for hunting or Target, as accuracy, balance and trigger is what I mainly look for, I use my guns for hunting and Target. I'm also thinking hw100 as I have been using a friend's for years. But our of the 22 Air rifles I have owned, I have never had one. But I tried a 2013 model a few weeks ago and it was completely different. My first go with it I got a one hole group at 50 odd yards rested, which put the cherry on top :) I also did this with a regulated s200 though which gives me my dilemma between those two. Those were 2 very accurate examples

15. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

but i was thinking of using it for a ratting night gun ;)

16. lurchermann

lurchermann Busy Member

Mk4.the electronics make it a better rifle.its best you ever shoot.daystates are really really good.:beer:

17. lurchermann

lurchermann Busy Member

I have a older mk4s 2009.from 200barr down to 100barr i get around 150 shots.and i have ppl to back me up on that as thay was there.

18. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Busy Member

Strange the different things people "hear or read" as I have certainly never read anything bad about any Brococks on this forum other than my moans about their failure to keep to delivery dates, every thing I have read on this or any other forum praises their accuracy and build quality.

Having owned both a Contour Supersix, AA S400 and Daystate Regal I am adding my vote from your list to the Mk4 which I personally would love to own, perhaps it will be my next gun.

19. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

I have not had an air rifle for many years after moving to powder burners but i marked my return to them with a hw100. I cannot fault the gun as it does everything i need and shoots one hole groups at 25 yards.

You mention ratting and that's what i use it for. In the dark you need ease of use and that's what the HW100 has, plus with the 14 shot mag there's plenty of shots before you need to reload in the dark.

20. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Going by your list of criteria, in order of best to worst (IMO)..

Accuracy (in isolation, off a rest)

1. HW100 - An excellent and deserved rep.
    1. Mk4 - Tied with the above, providing everything works and is aligned correctly
    1. S200 - Viewed in isolation, probably just as good as the two above tbh.
    4. Contour - I've read of POI shifts on the shrouded barrel versions, and I suspect a slower shot development time will reduce real-world accuracy compared to the competition

Reliability

1. S200 - Generally very good, topping the HW100 as there's less to go wrong. 10-shot adaptor has a rep. for chewing breech seals if not setup properly.
    2. HW100 - Not perfect, but issues tend to be restricted to leaks and drifting over-power as they bed in. Neither are hugely difficult to fix.
    3. Contour - Other than the potential shroud problems and their predisposition to spit the breech seal down the barrel if dry-fired, not heard of a lot of issues with these.
    4. Mk4 - Quite a few known issues relating to stock fit, mag and single-shot tray function, shroud / mod alignment and reliability (plus cost of repair) of electronics.

Balance (Largely subjective, but..)

1. Mk4 - Helped over the HW100 by it's better stock ergonomics.
    2. HW100 - the standard length guns are nice and muzzle heavy, although this isn't to everyone's taste.
    3. S200 - Very small and light; feels almost too small for a fully-grown bloke. Reasonable amount of mass at the front, though
    4. Contour - very short and not enough mass at the muzzle to damp it down on aim.

Trigger

1. HW100 - Easily the best mechanical trigger of the lot; tied with the Mk4 as the electronic v. mech. argument is subjective.
    1. Mk4 - Some rate the "mouse click" trigger action on the Mk4.. as above a matter of personal taste.
    3. S200 - True 2-stage but fairly crude and can be difficult to get a light, crisp release.
    3. Contour - Tied with the S200; mechanically an inferior (and less safe) pseudo-2-stage unit; however it probably feels better than that of the S200..

Were it me I'd be all over the HW100.. the Daystate ruled out on reliability and build quality concerns, the S200 because the trigger isn't great and it's pretty diminutive for a full-size shooter and the Brocock on account of it's trigger and tiny shot count.. some of these will matter more or less depending on the gun's intended application though - for example the Brocock might claw back some kudos if it's to be used for hunting in confined spaces..