1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Mk2 version with control/connector box

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Humpers, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Humpers

Humpers Engaging Member

I've just tidied up the wiring and other bits on my first DIY NV so I thought I'd post some pics.

The main changes I've made for this Mk2 version are:

• Adding a central control/connector box. My idea was to make the wiring tidy, but also have the configuration flexible so that I can expand the system if/when I want. The control box is made from a Thunderbolt pellet box into which I've squeezed:

• A dc voltage converter to power a 6v odic IR laser from the main 12v battery. The supply to the converter runs through a toggle switch on the top of the box to turn the laser on/off if I want it on for any length of time. But I've also wired a 2-pole socket in parallel with the main switch into which I can plug a remote pressure switch, so that I can use that if I just want to have the laser on for a shorter period. The voltage converter has a switched output between 1.5 and 12v, so I can use this circuit to power other illuminators, etc at other voltages if I want.

• Two 3-pole sockets on the back (12v +ve, GND, and signal) to plug in two cameras, with a switch to toggle between them. My idea is to add a second camera with, say, 30mm lens mounted above the laser so that I can use this for general spotting, then immediately switch over to the camera that looks through the scope.

• A separate 12v power output socket on the side so that I can power an LED illuminator or whatever, again controlled by a toggle switch on top of the box.

• Sockets for the IR laser and connector from the 12v battery so that everything goes through the control box. The various sockets are all different sizes so that I can't plug things into the wrong sockets and blow them, especially the 6v IR laser.

• I've also mounted the scope camera in the screw-on lid of a plastic bottle (Waitrose dried porcini mushrooms - only the best for my nv!), with the top half of the bottle mounted onto the scope's eyepiece using various pipe adaptors. This arrangement allows me to quickly and easily remove the lid + camera in the field some that I can fiddle with the focus or zoom on the lens.

The battery is housed in an old mobile phone pouch I had lying around which is designed to be slid onto a rucksack shoulder strap. This is attached to the stock using a bicycle inner tube, cut in half lengthways, which makes excellent non-slip strapping.

I need to sort out how I connect the wire from the control box into the inside of the laser, as I've only got a temporary fixing at the moment, but it all seems to work well so far.

Here are the pics:

P1020313.jpg P1020314.jpg P1020315.jpg P1020316.jpg P1020317.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

Hey humpers,

That must have taken some time to do. I was racking my brains trying to figure out how to tidy the wiring and the show stopper was always the step down converter, what with it being so big. Just out of interest, isnt the laser 3v not 6v?

3. mealiejimmie

mealiejimmie Engaging Member

You don't need a large step down convertor with a big circuit board and lots of components. If you can solder, then a 3 terminal linear regulator is much cheaper and smaller.
    The L7805CP from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/1a-positive-fixed-voltage-regulators-46475) will accept an input of anything up to 35 volts and produce an output of 5 volts and a current of up to 1 amp (that's more than enough to run a laser)

Cheers

Bruce

4. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

Can you please explain how to wire that up.. Are you telling me that I could have just wired that in line as opposed to using the big plastic covered step down converter?

Is that the only component needed or is a heat sink required or anything else?

I am looking at lowering the voltage from 12v to 7.5v / 8v

I take it you need a positive regulater and negative?
    How do you set the output voltage?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  5. Yogi GunKanobee

Yogi GunKanobee Engaging Member

That looks really cool, great idea! :)

6. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

If it IS possible, then I can feel a Mk 1111 coming on...

7. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

OMG - One thousand one hundred and eleven? :)

8. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

To reduce the voltage down I use a in car phone charger 12v input/ 5 volt output. After taking it appart the circut board is quiet small so its easy to hide it on your rig.
    Humpers youve done a nice job there bud, seems that you thought things out before making it.
    May I suggest a bit of shrink tube on the camera tube to cover or replace the tape, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110512845274?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 this will neaten things up on your rig.

Thanks for sharing

ken

9. Humpers

Humpers Engaging Member

The odicforce laser that I have usually runs on 2 x 3v (CR2) batteries linked in series, so that's 6v in all. You had me worried for a moment! But according to their literature it will also run on a 1 x 14500 3.7V 900mAh lithium battery, so i might try a lower voltage to see if that's better for close range.

Bruce/mealiejimmie's idea of a linear regulator is great, especially if you're strapped for space. This is the step down regulator I used in case anyone is interested. It's quite small once stripped down, and has the advantage that I can switch easily to other output voltages if necessary.

It took less than a day to make, but about the same amount of time to find and order all the bits on ebay!

10. Humpers

Humpers Engaging Member

Thanks Ken. Ain't heatshrink a neat thing. Good suggestion. I think I may also change some of the cable plugs to right angled versions so they don't stick out so much. Less chance of getting knocked in the dark.

11. mealiejimmie

Flykilla,
    Here's a couple of pictures of a 5 volt 3 terminal linear regulator.
    This is a type L7805CP (you can see the number in one picture)
    The "78" means its a positive voltage regulator, 05 means it produces a fixed 5volts at the output and CP means that it has plastic body which means you don't have to worry about insulating it from any metal surface that it might be mounted on. Many of these regulatotrs have a metal body and you will need to insulate it from any metal you might want it fix it to
    It will provide up to 1 amp of current at 5 volts, but at that level of current it will need to be mounted on a metal surface.
    These devices are available in a range of fixed voltage outputs such as 3/3.3/5/6/8/9/10 volts.
    If you want 8 volts, then this device should do the job http://uk.farnell.com/stmicroelectronics/l7808abv/ic-v-reg-1a-8-0v-7808-to-220-3/dp/1087088 but note that this one has a metal body and will need to be insulated from any metalwork you fix it to
    You can also get variable voltage types, but these need a couple of extra components

How it's wired up is shown in the other picture.
    As you can see, it's pretty simple - 12volts into 1 terminal, 5volts out at another terminal and a common 0volt (battery negative) to the third terminal.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions about this, just ask

Cheers

Bruce

Attached Files:

12. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

Hi Bruce, I am afraid that I do not completely understand how it works. After looking at the link I saw +regulaters and -ones. Which has confused me. I know its a little ghey, but would you mind completing the diagram attached, showing me exactly what i need to do. I bought all of the "stuff" including new monitor, to redo the wiring as I am not confident in mine at the moment. If you can show me, what to do, I can then buy the regulaters and include them in my new loom. They should really make things a lot neater.

Cheers

Brad

Regulater diagram.png

Attached Files:

13. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

If you take the +12V feed to the left hand side pin, as seen in the diagram above, connect both negative 0V lines to each other and to the centre pin, as seen above, and then provided you have the +8V regulator, connect the last terminal to this. That should in theory give you the circuit your after mate. If you want to include a switch aswel, stick it on the +12V line. :)

14. mealiejimmie

Brad,
    I've attached a sketch showing the wiring for the 3 terminal regulator and compared it to how I think your existing regulator will be wired up.
    From what you've written, (and my apologies if I'm wrong) I suspect you might be having a problem with electrical terminology.
    For our purposes, batteries have positive and negative terminals, but the negative terminal is also referred to as the the "common" or "0 volts" This means that the battery positive terminal is 12volts higher than common.
    Lots of electronic equipment uses both postive and negative voltages and that's why you'll see both positive and negative voltage regulators
    All the regulators we are using are positive voltage regulators - there's nothing in any NV setup I've seen or heard of which uses negative voltages
    I have an odic force laser and I run it from a 5volt regulator with no problem.
    Your box looks good and you clearly have managed to solder lots of wires, switches and connectors without much problem, so, if you decide to build another setup, you should have no problem soldering wires to the 3 terminal regulator.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Attached Files:

15. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

Bruce, it seems that the saying; you learn something new everyday is very much true. I didn't know that +...v means its is ..v higher than the common. Thanks for explaining. Couldn't see the drawing on my iPhone, but I now understand what is needed.

Again appreciate the help and can now improve my wiring.

Brad

16. Chas

Chas Active Member

Have been reading most of the threads here and find it very interesting,,for those who find it difficult to build power supplies to power whatever I use the DE-SWADJ 3 amp power supply,,just plug in 12 volts and adjust for any lower voltage you want and it's very tiny,,and or do a search on Ebay for an LM2596 and there are several all ready made up,,another bit of info once you get your video if you get a copy of Vueprint it has the option to slow down the video as much as you want to see the pellet much easier in flight,,code for Vueprint is 1707834,,just a bit of food for thought,,some very nice DIY tinkering.

17. Humpers

Humpers Engaging Member

Chas,

Great advice on the power supply. It's about the same length as the board I used, which was cannibalised from this, but many of the versions of your ready made boards on eBay are a bit narrower and a lot shallower, so for anyone trying to squeeze the gubbins into a smaller box and needs a 3A supply (mine only does 800mA which is enough for my needs) it would be ideal.

For anyone considering this, I presume they will need a voltmeter to check the output voltage as they adjust the potentiometer on the LM2596 board?

18. Chas

Chas Active Member

I do Astrophotography as well and make up camera power supplies for Canon cameras when the camera battery isn't large enough for extended camera activity and your out on an all night photo session,,came across the DE-SWADJ 3 amp very tiny supply that works great and yes you need a digital volt meter to set the output voltage,,the LM2596 comes in a variety of packages,,less current as well,,saves a lot of soldering,, http://justphotos.zenfolio.com/p212216130#h164646bf
    you can see the size of it here,,put mine on a PC board with fuse LED resistor and on off switch in a small Hammond box,,the one on the far right has it's own heat sink and will be in a much smaller box,,depending what you are powering and what the voltages are you can power several different units by just adding more supplies in one box and the output wireing going direct to the unit via plug ins,,I use a 12 volt 12 amp Gel Cell main battery for power but whatever current is needed you can use any power source you want,,mind you,,you have to know a bit about wireing and jacks,,have seen a few videos of the pellet in flight and hitting the target and thought it niffty,,that's why I mentioned Vueprint where you can slow the video way down,,have not found a way to record the slow video on to another recorder at the slow speed but that's another story,,