1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Minty fresh Mk2 Air Arms S200

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by cloverleaf, Feb 25, 2016.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I've had a few of these in the past, mostly in .22 and I've never hung onto any for one reason or another.

I' think they're cracking little rifles though and have said for a while that I'd be hard pressed to pass over a nice .177 example.. guess what came my way recently.. :p

The rifle is a late Mk2 of 2007 vintage (can anyone confirm when the switch was made to the Mk3?), with the later type filler fitted but no AT. Barring an adjustable stock this is the exact spec I'd take by choice. The gun is a credit to it's former owner, being absolutely mint with the exception of a couple of small dings on the front of the pistol grip.

It came with the 10-shot mag and original AA mod, and generally works OK. Muzzle energy is a bit down (I suspect because the breech seal is shafted thanks to the mag) and the bolt is pretty sticky - I think because it's still running on the dried, sticky 9-yr old oil..

All I plan to do with it is switch it back to single-shot (I neither need nor like the mag a whole lot), replace the breech seal, strip, clean and re-lube the action and set the muzzle energy.

Then it will be preserved as is, since you'll rarely find a Mk2 is as minty, unmolested condition IME :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope we like :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. amacgilp

amacgilp Newbie

Stunning gun, I actually got a .177 last week which has hardly been fired. Love it

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Very nice mate,

it looks spotless:)

4. Funky Diver

Funky Diver Donator

Me likey :)

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

6. themadspread

themadspread Donator

whos a lucky boy then

7. Paddler

Paddler Donator

South Devon where the cream goes on first!
    You can smell the CZ accuraccy... It's in super condition....nice one.

8. cloverleaf

Cheers guys :D

Now the little differences have piqued my interest an OCD-appeasing spreadsheet has been created, so expect me to soon be the oracle on S200 model variations :p

The trigger has been adjusted to remove the bulk of 2nd stage creep, and if I get time today I might chuck a new breech seal in it and give it a bit of a birthday.. although I don't want to rush the job / risk buggering anything up. I'm looking forward to getting it up the club at some point to give it a test drive!

9. Akita177

Akita177 Sharpen the pikes

Thats a great find i do have a soft spot for the CZ200 rifle:D
    It looks like the flat plastic peice with 2 screws on top of the magazine needs rotating 180degrees as one end is popped up it should be flat, ive found it can sometime cause slight indexing problems.

10. cloverleaf

Thanks - looking at the photos I thought something looked amiss with the mag mounting - no worries now though as it's all been removed and put safely back in it's tube :p

So, today's been a bit of a mixed bag.. the breech seal's been replaced and a couple of strings over the chrono confirm that it's sailing very close to the wind with DS Heavies. In the heart of the fill it's averaging around 11.75ftlb with the Heavies and 11.05ftlb with AA Express. It also apparently likes quite a low fill pressure - I'd guess around 170bar, and I'm getting around 30 good shots per charge with both types of pellet.

Working on a cylinder capacity of 98cm^3 efficiency values are coming in at around 1.45-1.58 ftlb/in^3, which is good and certainly puts the 400 series to shame since they typically use around 40% more air per shot.

I did pull the butt off with the intention of stripping, cleaning and lubing the action - but the fixings in the loading bolt were tight and I didn't want to rush things and risk damaging anything, so these have been left for now. I did also notice that the striker spring preload adjustor is a sodding AT spec-shear bolt, so I'll try and source a proper adjustor at some point. The trigger's been lightened and the 2nd stage crisped up a little, but it's still not splendid.

I nipped up the club earlier and wasn't hugely impressed tbh. While pretty refined to shoot (in terms of mass flying about when the trigger is pulled) the gun's typically pretty good, however the nasty trigger seemed to harm my standing shots.

Groups off the bench with a range of pellets were only "passable" - with a couple of 5 shot groups at 20yd with Exacts coming in at around 3.5-4mm c-c, but the more typical groups being more like 5-7mm c-c. Not the end of the world, but I expected better tbh.

Immediate plans are to inspect and clean the barrel, check the tightness of the front stock fixings and give it another go next week. I'd like to think the trigger can be improved significantly, but from what I remember of it's design this might be wishful thinking - time will tell..

11. Wedwivwage

Wedwivwage Posting Addict

Hard to believe it's 9 years old. Lovely.

12. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Superb example ~ always nice to see your quality images too :cool:

13. Ashley.H

Ashley.H Busy Member

Very nice find, nice one :up:

14. Rotherham Owl

Rotherham Owl It's all about the enthusiasm!

I want one!

15. DaystateRob

DaystateRob Donator

I had one of these a few years back, great bit of kit and very lightweight.

Cloverleaf - What's your setup for photos, they're always very clear.

16. Paddler

Paddler Donator

Talking to a freind down the range today... He's got a mk1/2 hybrid...never been shot immaculate,,,, I'm going to work on him!

17. Wedwivwage

Wedwivwage Posting Addict

18. cloverleaf

Thanks gents :D

Sounds intriguing - I'd be interested to see this if you manage to prize it from his grip! Tbh I'd rather have a Mk1 (no barrel band amongst other things and I think they look better) but they weren't about for long it seems..

So, a bit more progress has been made. The barrel was pulled through and was predictably filthy.. the patches first coming out black with lead, then with a consistent brown hue.. I think this is just a remnant of the bluing process as I find this happens quite often if scrubbing exterior blued surfaces too - the large patch below was used on the exterior of the barrel, which now seems a fair bit more shiny..

[​IMG]

In the end I got bored and stopped, in future the barrel might benefit from a scrub with some JB bore bright to get rid of all the brownness. I had a look at the crown at the rifling seems crisp and even, so no drama there.

I tried to remove both the barrel from the action and the dovetail block from the barrel - unfortunately it appears that this rifle was put together with absolutely zero lubrication, and one grub screw in each case was seized solid. They've been left to soak in oil and I'll get some heat on them when I have the facility to.

I also removed the moderator - I really don't know what AA were playing at when they designed it, since it uses an M5 grub screw as opposed to the M4 item on the barrel trim. This means that if the mod is fitted with the grub screw at the top (as with the original barrel finisher) it only contacts the edges of the screw slot in the barrel; burring the edges over and generally making a b*llocks of it all:

[​IMG]

I'm going to see if a dog point grub screw in the moderator might solve this issue, but for the time being it's been left off in the interest of not causing any further damage.

I had to pop up the club to do some admin today so took the rifle with me, hoping that the freshly-cleaned barrel might print some better groups than yesterday's efforts. While they tightened marginally, sadly I still can't claim that this rifle lives up to the breed's tack-driving reputation, with 5-shot groups off the bench at 20yd running to about 5mm c-c.

I dislike the idea of the barrel band so tried it with the forend removed, but any improvement was marginal at best. What I did notice is that the flat forend, light weight and not-too-great trigger cause the rifle to move about a bit when the shot is fired, although I don't think this is the sole cause of the larger-than-hoped groups. I did notice that I could get the groups to string vertically by applying varying amounts of force to the forend, which obviously isn't great.

I tried some shots free-standing, managing 10 into probably the size of a 1p or a touch smaller. While the quick lock time makes things feel pretty immediate, the trigger release and light muzzle lead to a fair amount of disturbance when the shot is fired. The trigger breaks clean and crisp, but feels heavier than the 1.75lb I measured it at - almost feeling too crisp, if that's possible. I suspect this is down to a poor finish on the sear..

If I seriously wanted to use this rifle in competition it'd need a load of weight hanging off the front and a fair bit of improvement to the trigger (if possible).

Anyway, there are plenty of bits I'd like to do to the rifle, but these will be tempered by available time, funds, likely amount of use it will get and the desire to keep it original.

Here it is as it stands, with an appropriately compact scope fitted :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  19. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Another project Clover, great stuff and I'm sure you will get it sorted. I've never used the s200 but I know a few guys who use one and they swear by them so there is hope on this one once you iron out the problems :up:

20. Paddler

Paddler Donator

I hate that moderator grub screw! I'd positioned it so to tighten against the timing flat on the barrel and bolloxd it up like yours ... So I inserted an small plastic plug into the screw hole and tightened down on that with the mod rotated 180 degrees , nipped it up tight ...no marking. You can source plastic capped grub screws but I'm unsure of the lengths available.

I keep meaning to polish my trigger sear...but I've got used to mine the way it is, a couple other guys at the club quite like it to..

Keep us updated Cloverleaf on the 'work in progress' ... ;)

I'll see if I can get my freind to bring his 200 down the club... I have a sneaking suspicion Air Arms may of given it to him for designing and manufacturing the 10 shot system, and it was used as the guinea pig.