1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Mill Dot Question on Bushnell Scope

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Darren82744, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Darren82744

Darren82744 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    Are the mill dot increments on a Bushnell Legend Ultra scope the same mill dot spacing as a hawke scope?

missed a rabbit today that I should not have missed, with one mill dot hold over.

Checked Chairgun today, and at the range in question it should have been a clean kill.

2. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

which reticles are on both scopes?I use istrelok where thre is a huge database of scope reticles,assuming that the ret on the Bushnell is the DR600 i cant get the the 1 mildot Mark to match any of the ranges for the Hawke rets using the same distances.
    Regards,Stu.

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Did you check the holdover corresponded to the distance on paper:)

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You need to check on paper, there is an option in Chairgun to calibrate your mil dots.

5. 177

177 Donator

Charigun lists a Hawke mil dot and a standard generic mildot.

The results are usually the same regardless of which you select, but not always.

Similarly, the table data sometimes does not match the ret image.

Bottom line - software is great, range time confirms it though, and should be done before taking your shot on quarry IMHO

6. pernod

pernod Well-Known Member

Perhaps you just pulled the shot and missed. Or maybe a bit of wind pushed it of target. It does happen......

7. broekzwans

broekzwans Member

The mildots in the bushnell (I assume you have the 4,5-14) are calibrated at 14x magnification, the hawkes mildots are calibrated at 10x if I'm correct. So yes there is a difference.

You can fill in the mildot calibration magnification in chair gun and check the difference. However, I don't think this'll be the reason you've missed, it's only a small difference

P.S. The bushnell legend UHD 4.5-14x44 is the best scope I own(ed) for the money I've paid for it!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  8. Darren82744

Guys
    thanks for the sincere responses.
    like everyone else, there's no chance I pulled it, or wind got the better of me.
    clearly over the top, imho. Going by both the Rabbits reaction, and the sound of the pellet in the back stop
    luckiest Rabbit I know

ive paid the £4 for istrelock, and no my scopes not in the Bushnell batch

Back to chair gun, to see where this mill dot calibration bit is!

it looked like a big mill dot in the scope, but I do love my Bushnells Legend Ultra,s. great scopes, got two now, one new and one second hand, nearly new. Always looking for another one or two though

darren

9. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

The old Legend 5-15 was true at 15x and many other Bushnells are true at 12x making them much less use than closer spaced dots.

10. broekzwans

broekzwans Member

Maybe you had one of those matrix rabbits, sometimes they seem to duck before the pellets reaches them. You're shooting below the speed of sound so they hear the muzzle blast before the pellet reaches them which gives them time to respond. Rabbits have fast reaction capabilities!

My only explanation if you didn't pull the shot or the wind picked it up.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  11. GPConway

GPConway Engaging Member

Alicante, Birmingham and occasionally Munich
    The Hawke Mil-dots reticles are calibrated at 10x (or 20x for the 20x 1/2 Mil-dot or the new 20x TMX) but Mil-dot reticles from other manufacturers may be calibrated differently - randomly even. So, if you're not using a Hawke Mil-dot reticle, use the Generic Mil-dot reticle and calibrate it yourself with the tools provided.
    Personally, I think that enabling ChairGun to be used with other manufacturer's Mil-dot scopes is a pretty magnanimous gesture from Deben - though it'll always be easier to blame the software than to read the help-file. :)

George

12. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

Interesting point about the ret choice on istrelok. I may be looking to buy a Bushnell in the future, what reticle does it have?
    Regards,Stu

[​IMG]

This is the Bushnell generic Mildot on istrelok if it isn't one of the other ones on the list.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  13. Darren82744

Darren, you seem to know a bit!
    does this in turn mean at 6 mag, one space = the same as two mill dots in the Hawke Chairgun world?

14. broekzwans

broekzwans Member

At 14x magnification with the bushnell legend, the mildot spacing is the same as the 10x of (most) hawkes. So at 7x magnification it'll be 2 times the spacing of a hawke that is calibrated at 10x, so the same as 2 dots spacing yes

15. broekzwans

broekzwans Member

You can chose different reticles. I chose the mildot which looks like the picture you've added, but than with even spacing between mildots and the thicker section in the reticle :p. The thicker section also looks exactly like an the picture if you look through the scope, so no flat ending of the mildots but more an arrow shape which is nice I think

16. 177

177 Donator

If you run a search on here you will find more than one example where software table data has not matched the reticle view data, with or without reading a help file.

One thing I don't understand is this: assuming you have the time to hunt, that means you have the time to test your rig in field conditions. Once you have it zero'd at your chosen range, mapping your mil dots, BDC points or any other MAP ret takes minutes unless you want to do it using a variety of different zoom settings.

Range shooting will tell you in a few minutes exactly what software and endless posts often cannot do.

Software as a model is fine, especially when it's bang on. Shooting your rig gives you exactly the feedback you need in real time - I did that last night with my rimfire using a Nikon mil dot scope on 10x which software said would give one set of results which shooting the rig disproved. I'll go with the results of putting rounds downrange every time.

At the risk of stating the obvious if the software is right, it's right, and anything else means it isn't, regardless of user inputs.

Assuming you dial your zero at your chosen range, where the pellet/bullet lands at other ranges is where it lands. Make a note of it then go out shooting...

:)

17. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

As 177 says you have to check by shooting. Chairgun is Hawke software and built around their products, you can use it for other makes of scope but you have to be very careful. With other software you may find your exact reticle or maybe not but anything you get from it will need more careful checks by shooting.
    With Chairgun and Hawke scopes you may think that you're going to get good results and that is normally the case BUT you have to make sure that the magnification on the scope is correct, just lining up the '10' and the dot does NOT mean that you will have exactly 10x magnification although it will hopefully be close. With a fixed power scope you're more likely to strike lucky.
    You can check your mil dots from Chairgun so you should be able to find the actual setting for 10x etc or you can adjust your scope zoom setting until the results from shooting agree with the software which then means you can rely on other aspects of the software but the easiest way to sort it out is to set your zoom where you want to shoot and leave it there and check/map your aim points on the range.

18. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

Just check the calibration of your mildots yourself, it only takes 15 minutes, a pen, piece of A4, a ruler and a tape rule.
    Here's how -
    Given the distance between 2 mildots at 20 meters is 20mm, then 10 mildots (standard mildot reticle) equals 200mm.
    1) Draw 2 horizontal lines 200mm apart on the piece of A4.
    2) Measure accurately 20 meters distance from your scope position and secure the piece of A4.
    3) Secure independently the scope/rifle with the scope looking at the horizontal lines.
    4) Adjust scopes zoom ring until 10 mildots aligne with the horizontal lines on the piece of A4.
    5) Mark scope zoom ring for future reference.

You should easily be able to get +/- 2% calibration accuracy using this method.
    I have found some scopes can vary between manufacturer stated 'true' Mildot magnification and actual, it all helps confidence/accuracy if checked and known.

The picture is a 20 meter mildot calibration chart I drew on a piece of plastic.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  19. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

As Gunfun suggests, this is the best way to know that your mildots are "true" and allow easy comparison between scopes.

Before you start check your reticle focus, and parallax setting. These shouldn't make a difference but it's best to set the scope up as you use it and reduce any variables.

-Be as accurate as possible with all your measurements. Distance to target, use a tape measure rather than a range finder and be precise with your reticle/target alignment. A fully stable rest is essential IMO.

-Use the widest spread of mildots on your scope, ideally 10 as gunfun suggests, ensure the target and scope's objective are parallel too.
    [I do mine at 50 yards using a stick with 2 pieces of masking tape at 18" apart~ using more dots and maximising target range reduces the effect of any measuring and target/reticle alignment issues].

-Once you've "calibrated" your mag ring for true dots it's worthwhile doing convenient fractions. [Eg true @10x and then repeat for 5x (each space now represents 2 true mildots) etc].

Here's my imperial version of gunfun's metric method. I've assumed that a mil represents 3.6" @ 100 yards, there's more than 1 Mildot standard (Russian/NATO/U.S and more), but most of us use the 3.6"/100yd measure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015