1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Maybe a dumb one

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ste, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ste

ste Posting Addict

Has any one tested the pellet speed at 30 yards
    ste

2. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

I think chairgun or Hawke BRC will calculate this info once you have entered the necessary info

HTH Paul

3. ste

ste Posting Addict

Yes I understand that but has anyone ever proven it correct

4. chrisfrain

chrisfrain Engaging Member

I thought that a chrono measured speed? Some one should shoot through one at said distance

5. Alan17hmr

Alan17hmr Donator

5 Clowne Derbyshire Wagbi then Basc Member
    Hello
    i know where your coming from

But if I had Hawkes or Chairguns resources I think they would have carried out adequate checks indoors to protect there reputations

I have used drop charts for lots of calibres and can only dream attaining the standards they set

Alan xxx

6. ste

ste Posting Addict

Bang on that's what I was trying to say

7. ste

ste Posting Addict

Yer ok mate

think of it like this Jo blogs wants to start hunting and if we new at say dead on 11ft lbs give you aprox 5ft lbs at 25 yards then we know that we need our guns to be at or above said ft lbs for hunting

8. Jfrwhite

Jfrwhite Posting Addict

If you wanted exact figures, each individual would have to test their own rifle(s) with each individual pellet. So although as you say has anyone proven chairgun etc figures, it would probably differ slightly for rifle to rifle and even individual pellet to pellet.

9. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

11.75 f/lb HW97k @ 30 yds = 425 fps & 5.8 f/lbs

10. JD

JD Donator

I did read somewhere ? that pellet speed at distance had been measured, you'd need a F1 type chrono to do it though,
    remember to protect the LCD display.
    If you try it though, a pcp or well behaved springer would be to rifle to use. ; )

11. kel85

kel85 Engaging Member

Isn't there a video on this site recently. That does all that. Shooting through a chrono at set distances?

12. ste

ste Posting Addict

So this would say that if a rifle was set at 10ft lbs then at 30 yards it would be a good hunter due to the impact ft lbs

13. JD

JD Donator

Did you do this test yourself Dunkman, if so,
    what pellet did you use ?

14. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

why ? its not relevant as its muzzle velocity and kinetic energy at the muzzle is all thats important to stay legal. How ever in the eighties all pellet tests in the mags did comparisons at muzzle, 5 to 30 yards generally.

but chronos werent as plentiful then and very expensive.

15. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

It has been measured many times as this is the way you can check the ballistic coefficient of a pellet. You shoot it through and pair of chronos and then use the two speeds and the distance travelled to verify BC

16. ste

ste Posting Addict

Reason I ask:
    i would like to know what ft lbs a pellet hits a target and it's us full for all of us hunters as we can determine what power our rifles need to be at a minimum to prevent injury to quarry

17. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Chronos were readily available and affordable in the 80's I was a doleite and managed to afford a skan mk4 with no big dent in my giro.

18. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

Vermin hunters tv did one when they were doing a show about calibrating the mildots.

19. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

why not try it yourself at your local rifle club

20. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Certainly an interesting idea for the sake of curiousity, however I'd say a pointless escapade for your intended purpose.

Bottom line is that you rifle should be at 10.5+ ftlb for hunting (personally I'll always go for as much as feasibly and legally possible), and your maximum hunting range is determined by your ability to consistently place all your shots inside a 5p-sized group from the position you usually use - typically no more than 30-35yds.

While not unimportant, the significance of variations in muzzle energy to hunting range are far outweighed by other factors - your ability to rangefind, your ability to judge and compensate for wind, the accuracy you & your gear are capable of.

For the sake of interest downrange energy retention will vary greatly based on pellet shape, mass, calibre, initial velocity.. chairgun will work things out to a point but this relies on a static ballistic coefficient - in reality this changes with velocity so cannot be assumed to be constant; so the only way to truely know is to measure it yourself.

I'm quite tempted to invest in an F1 chrony (would like a Skan, but they ain't cheap) to be used in conjunction with my Combro for measuring downrange velocity at various ranges, and hence calculate ballistic coefficient for various pellets and velocity ranges.. perhaps I'll lash up a few tests in the new year :)