1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Mattys knives!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tinbum, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

I was at a shooting bash this weekend and Chris Allum produced possibly the most beautiful little neck knife I've ever seen. Damascus steel, georgeous scales, frankly I wanted it! When he told me it was made by a 15 year old, I assumed t had been made in a sweat shop in Wales or some other carp-hole, but no! Our very own Matty had made it.:eek:
    The wife saw it and was smitten (she loves guns and knives, I'm a lucky boy) but declared it too small.
    Has anyone else got one! Post a pick if you have.

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

We haven't got any sweatshops here - the weather's too cold to sweat.

3. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

I dont have a Matty knife but I do have other bits made by his skilled hands.
    Seen some lovely photos of his work though.

Said it before and I will happily say it again, He's a tallented youth with a bright future ahead of him.

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  5. 177

177 Donator

Where the heck did you find her and is there another one similar anywhere ?

:)

Not one of Matty's, but a neck knife nevertheless, made by my own fair ?!? hands and I use it often:

View attachment 103399

I am busy making a broadly similar one for another member on here as a gift - I forged the blade last weekend and rough ground and etched it to check the pattern. Early indications look interesting :)

I will post pictures as and when I get it finished out.

I'd like to see some pictures of Matty's knives though :D

6. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

I'm happy that I'll be able to say "I remember when he was a lad" when you're famous!;)

7. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

My gorgeous wee knife is in this thread here.

Great bit of kit, just the right size and nice and workable. The scales are just lovely. :)

8. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

matty's doing me one soon, maybe he'll do a thread on the 'making of' :D

9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Can do that mate,a work in progress thread sounds fun :)

10. 177

177 Donator

That's some nice work there Matty :up:

My current project, the one I forged up last weekend, for a fellow AGF member:

View attachment 103400

The etch is uneven due to a fairly rough grind and my greasy thumb print :rolleyes: but it was only to check the pattern before I sand and polish the blade properly. It will have a Nickel Silver guard and some nicely figured wood for the handle, and a leather sheath, once I get it done.

The wire sticking through the hole in the tang is for dipping it into the etchant solution (ferric chloride in this case).

Do you do hidden tang knives Matty or are you sticking to full tang at the moment ?

11. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Full tang for the minute 177,I attemped a stacked leather washer knife a while ago,it was a small scandi ground in 01,I stuck it in an onion to put a patina on it that looked similiar to growth rings on a tree but I ended up shaping the handle way off in relation to the tang so I'm not sure what I'll do with that one to be honest,I've put it down to experience :D

What steel are you using for your damascus? it looks great!

12. 177

177 Donator

1095 and L6 - both steels are similar enough that they are both hardened in heat treating, so no soft layers like you might get with other mixes. No point in mixing layers that look nice but only end up with one steel properly hardened IMHO...

PM me your address - I'll sort a couple of bits and bobs out for you to play with ;)

Might take me a week or two - I don't get much time to forge at the moment :rolleyes:

13. Slinger

Slinger Engaging Member

View attachment 103417

Hi guys here's the knife I bought from Matty at the AGF Bash, after I'd seen Chris Allum's.
    I've been learning to sharpen it on an old oilstone. It will now slice onion ultra thinly, so I'm on the road.
    Neil82 though, showed me how his knife could shave the hairs off his wrist.

Like Nick, I now want a beautifully scaled knife like Chris or SUM BITCH'S

Wonderful work Matty & SUM BITCH
    I feel a commission coming on.....

ATB
    Gwyn

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  14. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Thanks Gwyn :)

15. Chris.allum

Chris.allum Donator

it's amazing mat ... almost everyone that sees my knife is seriously taken by it ...... nicklebum AKA tinbum caught me whilst i was eating dinner with it .... my bloody steak was cold by the time i got it back :)

16. mbison

mbison Busy Member

Matty mate, you have a talent and I'm very happy to see you exploring it and you being encouraged to do so. Keep it up mate.

17. dr.tigger

dr.tigger Well-Known Member

18. dr.tigger

dr.tigger Well-Known Member

This is a Damascus steel knife from Whitby. I think matty's knife is better

19. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Make a long bladed fillet/bowie knife matt! I want one :) now I'm Tempted by a Webley & scott SE knife to match my Webley longbow, but they look a bit cheap tbh

20. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Doing a deep bellied Damascus skinner for Gasman soon if that interests you Tom?