1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

mainspring characteristics?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by martin22, Sep 26, 2014.

1. martin22

martin22 Donator

just lately ive been trying to learn more about spring rifle tuning and ive come to realise theres a lot more to it than most realise and its something that probably takes years to fully understand

ive home tuned a few rifles in the past (spit & polish or "dropped a kit in")with some good results but most of the time i send the rifle off but again the cost starts mounting,one thing im trying to get my head round is different springs for different results/firing cycles,i realise the only way to fully get your head round it is trial and error but that can quickly turn expensive

the thing im looking at is what sort of difference do different strength/length springs make
    for example (and im randomly plucking figuers out the air here) but say a 3.1 gauge spring @ 250mm long compared to a 3.2 gauge spring @ 200mm long? presumably this would give somewhere around the same ft/ib but what sort of difference on the fireing cycle? (i understand the length difference would be a problem its just hyperthetical)

then theres preload?

again how does this effect the fireing cycle? is it mainly to do with piston bounce or is it more to do with useing different power bands of a spring (if that makes sense) again plucking figueres out the air for example,would a 3.1 gauge spring @ 250mm with 50mm preload give the same power as a 3.3 gauge @200mm with no preload ect and again the effect on the firing cycle and recoil?
    i understand theres a lot of other factors involved like swept volume,piston size/weight,transfer port ect but im just trying to get my head around springs at the min,unfortunatly i dont have a selection of various springs here although i wish i had as this is something i'd love to experiment with but if anyone with a bit of experiance can share there thoughts or if anyone has any usefull links it would be much appreciated
    im not very technical and sometimes laymans terms usually sink in faster with me but i am trying to get my head round it and learn without forking out too much money on the old trial and error synario
    thanks

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

There are too many variables for specifics, but generally speaking a short, stiff spring will feel harsher than a long, soft spring. The "Ox" was the classic short stiffy, but to a certain extent that has been taken over by Titan, albeit with round wire so it doesn't grate away the internals. I prefer a softer "feel" with more predictable precoil and less piston bounce on the second phase.

3. martin22

martin22 Donator

yes that makes sense,ive owned and shot a good few tuned rifles im just trying to get to grips more with whats going off inside to produce a firing cycle that i find suits me,i know theres plenty of kits available and theres some good tuners out there but im keen to experiment myself and get a better understanding to find a set up thats custom to me and that ive done myself
    as you say theres a lot of factors involved i think it maybe just something i have to experiment with,a may be pm'ing you soon for another top hat and guide kit,and another enquiry for something else once ive worked out some measurements :up:

4. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

No problem, experimenting is the key. It's very much a case of what you get used to, find a style and stick with it. (I wish I could!):rolleyes:

5. Nickg

Nickg Posting Addict

You will tailor your firing cycle far better by adjusting piston weight and pre load with the standard spring, Its also cheaper:) , I like very fast firing cycles, a lot of people think they are harsh, but in fact have shorter ,less violent recoil and surge and are easier to shoot accurately. It all depends on what you like.

6. 177

177 Donator

A lot of this is down to perception and, to a certain extent, bias - physics would suggest that you can't have a super-fast shot cycle without some penalties, but these can be somewhat mitigated by controlling the air cushion at the end of the shot cycle.

It's a balancing act - I like a very soft and sedate firing gun. Some think thumpy is amazing (think V-Mach kit) and although it is a big step up from a plain factory gun it is nothing at all like a properly tuned gun.

I actually like the factory mainspring on Weihrauch rifles a lot - with a bunch of internal tweaks, nips and tucks, it can be used to deliver an extremely polite shooting gun.

I have shot some tuned rifles that have a very definite "Blimey, what just happened" shot cycle, while others produce a quiet and subtle 'thock' that immediately makes you suspect the gun is only pushing 4 or maybe 5 FPE when, in fact, it's around 11.2 with low single figure shot to shot consistency.

The trouble is that there really isn't just one way of achieving the goal state and manufacturing anomalies can thoroughly pooch anyone's "system" :rolleyes:

The more friction efficient you make the internals the more you have to be mindful of transfer port size, piston weight, piston seal sizing and other related factors, otherwise the gun will jump around like a fresh caught salmon :rolleyes:

Basically, everything you do in a springer depends on other things being adjusted to create a balanced shot cycle. The fastest shot cycle I ever managed was pretty horrible to shoot by comparison with a gun I'd spent the time on to balance all the related factors out on.

Feinwerkbau took a revolutionary approach by using a longer, softer spring in the 124/127 and trounced everything else out there in the process. There's a lot more to it than just that but the mainspring was crucial. TX rifles have almost no preload and yet they are surprisingly good right out of the box, mainly due to piston bearings and other stuff.

I fooled with an HW95 earlier this year and ended up going into negative spring preload to keep it under power, due to the work I'd done elsewhere in the gun. Obviously that introduced a noticeable piston bounce, so the transfer port and other stuff had to be tweaked and then I undid about a third of what I'd done to that point to allow a factory mainspring with very little preload to shoot in a really nice, sedate shot cycle.

Springs are one small part of a very big puzzle.

Have fun tussling with your guns :)

7. JD

JD Donator

What sort of firing cycle are you aiming for Martin ? I prefer a Vmach style firing cycle myself.

I see you've got a wanted add for a 77/97 probably better to use another action, rather than your freshly reblacked 77k for a test bed rifle. ; )

8. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers for the replys fella's and sorry for my late reply,heads not been in it this weekend after some bad news regarding family but i did do a bit searching after i made the first post and made some notes and bookmarked a few good reads
    ive also been digging through some of my videos of rifles ive had tuned and tuned myself,once i get my head back in it ill get back on track with it
    cheers