1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Machinations Of The Mad Moderator Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Halinfax, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer and general all round nice guy

Gentlemen….

Inclement weather has fallen onto the sweeping majesty of the Yorkshire Pennines covering everything in a dour veil of misty fog and with a malevolence for excessive precipitation…. Forcing gentle folk to batten the hatches and find warmth and solace indoors…

Add to this the restrictive encumbrances of the Covid 19 lockdown and the inability to interact with others on a social and domestic basis, which only adds fuel to the infernal tedium and frustrations of the current situation…

SO… in times like this to maintain ones sense of propriety and sanity… we delve into the clandestine world of tinkering in our sheds…

We search for things to do, items to make and projects to occupy our dulled minds until the reprieve of either better weather or an end to this obnoxious Corona virus situation….

The depth of thought and solitude whilst ensconced in a practical activity of making something that has festered and boiled in the recesses of ones mind… How can I make use of all these bits of rubbish and scrap. What practicality can I perform with the detritus of previous projects…

The grey matter churns and bizarre thoughts and concepts takes over rhyme and reason… occasionally carrying no logic with it, just an inherent need to be constructive… and one dedicates himself to the particular task in hand until he has emerged from the depths of that immersion with something that actually WORKS… and with a valid and arguable practicality about it…

I am THAT man… I was in that Shed… I have a pile of rubbish, scrap and detritus I need to get rid of...…. BUT I have used my skills, ingenuity and flashes of genius, to put into form and living creation, the thoughts that have persecuted my imaginations for some time

Do I have too much rubbish and oddments in my Shed.... I think so.
    Do I have too much time on my hands... Probably
    Do I need to get out more.... Yes
    Am I mad.......... YOU decide...

And from the twisted depths and recesses of my warped imagination….. I made this….. and dear reader… it bloody WORKS too.

The THEORY

I started with the concept of air pressure and venting..... IF we push a volume of air through a large hole... the pressure is exponentially reduced. If we push the same volume of air through a smaller hole, it exponentially increases...

The same can be said for a given amount of air within a taper... Push the air from the smaller end to the larger end and the pressure is reduced... Conversely, if we push the air from the larger end to the smaller end.. the restriction of pressure flow increases and so does the escape of air

The same cannot be said for a parallel tube as there is a "constant diameter" and the exhaust can only be altered by the size of the hole at the end of the tube.

The CONCEPT

Virtually all moderators are made of a parallel tube with varying degrees of internal componentry.

IF.. we make the tube tapered smaller at the exit end, will that concentrate the air pressure within the tapered tube upon exhaust..
    COULD this simple pneumatic fact increase the output of the air within the unit....

Here we go... lets take a look at... The Madness of my mind!!!!!

I started off with some scrap bits of delrin from old bits I have parted off and made the last chamber washer and locating spigot for the Calculated Restriction Air Pipe (C.R.A.P).
    20210111_094542.jpg

Then the actual muzzle cap that the C.R.A.P will locate into upon completion..
    20210111_100300.jpg

Then we made the C.R.A.P from aeronautical grade aluminium (I once threw it across the garage and it didn't fly!!). The marks have been carefully marked out and calculated by the "Rack ut Eye" method of accuracy..
    20210111_103517.jpg

The C.R.A.P then had the all important restriction holes drilled into it.. and then the C.R.A.P was polished to a shiny finish (to eliminate air flow drag)
    20210111_110104.jpg

All the sections of offcut carbon fibre tube were rigorously measured and assembled in the following manner to narrow down and reduce the internal volume..
    All the parts were then laid out prior to semi assemble..
    20210111_140258.jpg

The internals fitted on the "bulk" of the unit, it now came down to the C.R.A.P to be assembled and fitted....
    20210111_140311.jpg 20210111_140340.jpg

A selection of air dampening fibres were blended to encase the C.R.A.P before the final assembly was undertaken...

20210111_163756.jpg 20210111_163809.jpg 20210111_163825.jpg 20210111_163834.jpg 20210111_163912.jpg 20210111_163941.jpg

And here we have the finished unit after removal from a HPA'd QB78 in .22 and an R10 SE in .177 cal
    20210111_164011.jpg

Here are the test target cards, firing each rifle and calibre with the unit fitted. The scopes were NOT altered for the shorter "test" distances.
    The POA was the bull and the POI are as is shown on the cards...

The HPA'd QB78 with .22 JSB Hades
    20210111_164455.jpg

The R10 SE with .177 JSB Heavies
    20210111_164534.jpg

sonicnw, Yazz93, Howlin Wolf and 22 others like this.
  2. frenchy3

frenchy3 Engaging Member

Lovely piece of work. I hope your theory makes a difference to the performance.:thumb:

Halinfax likes this.
  3. IanDB

IanDB Donator

This degree of madness definitely needs tapping into. :cool:

Tony.T and Halinfax like this.
  4. audi swift

audi swift Man up & pull the bloody trigger.... HFT 101.

He's not mad but I am.

Good idea that,,, carry on...

Halinfax likes this.
  5. Halinfax

.... or locking up!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

IanDB likes this.
  6. Halinfax

Heyup Frenchy, I am gonna do some energy testing, with the various mods I have done!!!! and see IF the principle of it all works!!!!

IanDB likes this.
  7. Wing Commander

Wing Commander Keyboard Hero

Excellent. :up: . . And we definitely need more people who are completely bonkers. ;) :up:

Autodidact and Halinfax like this.
  8. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

The theory is the high pressure air that escaped behind the pellet or projectile is dirty air. This air destabilise the projectiles ruining accuracy.
    Some of the best sound attenuation uses stepped down circles to stop sound waves gradually getting smaller until very little sound escapes, my shooting ear protection uses this method. But for the reasons stated above it won't work in a moderator/silencer.
    I'm interested to see your findings.

Halinfax and Chumbamoo like this.
  9. Widow

Widow Posting Addict

Going to start calling you Dr Emmet brown.

''1 point twentyone gigawatts!''

Halinfax likes this.
  10. Halinfax

Heyup Figgy.... I still need to get the Db meter out and see. I will check the readings along with other mods I have...
    But as for accuracy... the test shots I took seem to show that the pressure wave differentiation has not dramatically destabilised the pellet in its trajectory...

As long as I hit what I aim at... jobs a gud un!!

IanDB likes this.
  11. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

Just thought the new Hugget Astile uses a tapered end to attenuate the sound, though I suspect they use the other sections to expand and reduce the air pressure and velocity to let the pellet fly free in clean air.

Chumbamoo and Halinfax like this.
  12. Halinfax

I based my calculations and theories on Physics, quantum particles and this...

Figgy likes this.
  13. Halinfax

Theres some bloody clever folk out there spending a sugar load of cash on R&D as well as hi tech probabilitiy factors.

I am just a bloke in a shed...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Baldcoot likes this.
  14. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

Lots of greats have been men in sheds.

Without people making mistakes and discovering things thought impossible before do we evolve.

Tony.T and Halinfax like this.
  15. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

Went down a rabbit hole watching air bazzoka videos to the world's biggest air cannon knocking over cardboard box walls at 100 meters with a smoke ring.:thumb:

Used to do similar when I smoked many years ago, inhale a mouthful make a o with lips and mouth open then tap cheek with finger tip, little smoke rings would fly out.
    Good luck but I don't think the air acts the same coming from airguns firing a pellet.
    Be nice if it does blow smoke rings for yards when you fire your gun.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Halinfax likes this.
  16. blklab

blklab Engaging Member

very intriguing nice work

Halinfax likes this.
  17. chivy

chivy Busy Member

shed built is the way of the future. (and the past)
    i noticed how much auto cad and 3D printing have moved toward failures in design and function.
    any ideas on the CO2 silencer problems, i noticed the expanding liquid CO2 inside my moderator affects accuracy, once the gun stops with the gas cloud exiting the mod around the pellet its accuracy improves. i assume the expanding liquid is traveling faster than the pellet and affecting its flight as it leaves the mod?

18. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark I see light at the end of the tunnel!

I think you should buy an old BRIDGEPORT and strip and re-build it!

19. Halinfax

Spray Mark.... there NOWT wrong with my home made lathe.... and I know EVERY nut, bolt and screw on it....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Spray1Mark likes this.
  20. Halinfax

Heyup Chivy.. as much as I made this mod to taper down .. I made another one a little while ago that tapers UP.. so the expanded gasses COULD potentially equalise due to internal volumetric pressure...and PERHAPS not have a detrimental effect on the pellet..o_Oo_Oo_O

The initial "blast chamber" is dampened AND mesh ventilated before proceeding onto the following chambers....:up:

DAMN.. I LOVE my madcap ideas....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

20201230_120613.jpg 20201230_120623.jpg

Howlin Wolf likes this.