1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Lubing springers with dry PTFE spray.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jackroadkill, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Have just picked up some dry PTFE spray, with the intention of trying it for lubricating pistons etc on my springers. I know that some AGF members have done this in the past, but I can't remember what the results were. If you've done it, how successful was it? Did you find it better or worse than moly?

Answers on an e-postcard, please.... As usual, all advice will be gratefully received.

JR

2. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I will be very interested to see what responses you get to this question, as it's one I was going to ask myself. I use it myself for all kinds of lube jobs where you don't want an oily mess. As far as I know, PTFE is the slippiest stuff known to man, and is also obtainable as bar stock material for machining, so it surprises me that people use delrin on springer internals and not PTFE?

3. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

dont forget plumbers tape!!. back in olden days :rolleyes:
    i had a leyland maxi:cool: no defo not cool:rolleyes: heap of S**T but needs must and money tight and 2 nippers and wife to transport around:( sorry i digress:eek: anyway paddy hopkirk!!! remember him:up: bought out a lube with PTFE in to go in a motor engine and as my maxi sounded like a tin can full of ball bearings i put some in, as happen day before drive to north wales and loaded up, with above and mother and gear oh :D well after 20 miles or so you could have knocked me down with a feather the engine sounded well well so quite and purred like a cat so have used PTFE ever since and cant see why not try in your springer. ps sorry for the story its been one of those days:)

4. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

I always use it in springers, only in the comp chamber though and assuming that the piston seal supports the front of the piston. I use moly grease elsewhere and yes I think it is better.

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I think I've heard of it being used on the spring as well - anyone have an experience of this?

6. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

7. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Yeah, I knew I'd still have to use the moly to keep the spring in check. Cheers for the link - will have a look now.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  8. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

PTFE grease?

9. ste

ste Posting Addict

I use ptfe grease on my springers aswell as moly I put moly on the piston and ptfe grease on the spring

10. JD

JD Donator

I think dry moly Rubbed in would be more in keeping with other lubes used.

I do use Tri-flow Teflon oil on my trigger mechs though, nice and slippery.

Ichabod Armacost:-
    Ptfe is not used as spring guides, as its not stable enough and is prone to swelling up under shock.

11. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Carbon ptf guieds are used by some as spring guides also normal ptf as been used in tuned rapids for years now ;)

12. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Ah, cheers mate!:)

13. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Hooo, Doooo Dat??:)

14. Dag

Dag Very Active

Back in the 70's and ,I think before it got the Paddy Hopkirk brand, it appeared inthe car accessory shops as an Aussy product. The claim they made for it was that they had driven an old banger across hundreds of miles of outback roads without any engine oil in the sump. The claim was that a can or two of the PTFE product had been mixed in with the car's engine oil and after running it for a while the oil had been drained out prior to the test run.
    how true the claims were I can't say but my rattling Cavalier engine went very quiet, like Ratman's, after pouring a can in.
    I haven't seen that product for ages.....or do I have better cars now and haven't looked!
    Dag

15. jantar

jantar Donator

:down: BEWARE..... It is not the PTFE but the inflammable solvent used to spray the contents of the spraycan that will do the damage. The solvent will remove any prior lube. It is highly inflammable and will ignite causing possible serious damage to your rifle and you if there is any trace of it when you shoot if it has not totally evaporated.
    Personally I only ever use a good pellet lube and when the rifle is serviced only good quality lubes in moderation. 2 'smoking gun' shots are usually all there is after a service on my springers.......I have my other types serviced by their manufacturers.
    I believe I also read somewhere that PTFE also damages seals....but not certain of that info. The new type my not be affected.

16. 177

177 Donator

I sleeved a steel guide with PTFE last year when I was having a mad scientist moment - worked well but the gun is still in a pile of projects and hasn't had more than 50 shots through it yet, but the effect was immediately noticeable.

The only way to know how it will hold up over the long term is to shoot a lot of pellets through it and, frankly, I haven't the time for that at the moment.