1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Lubing Pellets?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Issac, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

I picked up the pellets that I ordered from my local RFD yesterday and the guy asked if I wanted any pellet lube. I declined but then wondered why pellets are lubed. Is it necessary, what are the benefits?

2. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

as far as i can see its more a confidence thing

3. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

Ok, why does this make the shooter more confident? What does the oil/lube actually do?

4. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

its just my view you have done everything to make the pellets more accurate in your own mind, because as far as i can see lubing doesnt make much difference to the average shooter

5. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

I bought some a while back and used it on some crappy BSA pellets which were probably best used for plinking - seemed to improve things, so maybe there is something to it?

I have put the odd single drop in a few tins of higher quality pellets but as they were shooting spot on to start with it was difficult to say if any extra improvement was gained.

I can't see it doing any harm and perhaps it will preserve the pellets if you don't use them very often?

Whatever you do, don't drink it! :D

6. harry brown

harry brown Banned

A couple of years back I tried some. I'd put a tin of JSB exacts into an ultra sonic cleaner and was quite surprised how much crud came off them. After drying them in a warm oven I put half back in the tin with a couple of drops of pellet lube and gave them a gentle roll about to coat all the pellets.

I found they did seem better, but it's difficult to be sure. My rat shooting was definitely bang on that winter using those pellets though. Might also be a bit of a placebo effect, who knows?

7. bhodge

bhodge Posting Addict

Some people like to wash, dry, weight then lub their pellets. It's all about maintaining good grouping...
    Personally, I tried this (just the once) last summer. With JSB Exacts if I remember correctly. The rifle was an HW57 .177, the result - the gun dieselled like a b****r, the sound was horrendous, and the chrono nearly leapt off its stand. Close on 13ftlbs. Enough of that, never used it again.

8. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Have you been making them pellets pies again Harry! :D

9. harry brown

harry brown Banned

You wouldn't believe half of what ends up in my oven!:eek:

10. Seamaster

Seamaster Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I think it depends on the gun. I recently sold a HW100KT in .22 and it was definitely more consistant with lubed pellets. In my other air rifles it doesn't make any discernible difference.

Chris

11. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

It seems to add a few fps & maybe a bit of extra consistency, it's difficult to tell.
    It might be significant for longer ranges but is probably wasted at normal airgun hunting ranges, I used to wash, lube & weigh my ammo but I don't bother anymore - it is a bit of a faff, but if I became serious about getting groups at 100M I would be doing it.
    It could be worth researching a few Dutch forums, they have a 100M target discipline over there, no limit on power either...

12. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

I've tried lube but I don't think it makes much difference on its own, what doe seem to help is the method of application. I use AA Fields and found the barrel on my Prosport needed cleaning every 200-300 shots, now I put a tin of pellets in a sandwich bag with a squirt of pledge and give them a good shake around, then tip onto kitchen roll and roll them around again, that removes a surprising amount of crud which can only help accuracy and consistency. Barrel cleaning is now every 1000 pellets.

13. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
  14. Dag

Dag Very Active

I wonder how much lubricant ever gets on to the important parts of the pellet ie the edge of the skirt and the widest section of the head?
    When I read about lubricant being sprayed into a tin or bag with a 100 or so pellets and given a gentle shake I can't help but feel much of the stuff is up the pellets chuff and a good proportion trapped in the waist of the pellet. However if one was to spray a patch of soft cloth with the lubricant of choice and then roll the pellets gently on that you could be pretty sure that a higher proportion was getting onto the critical features and might be doing some good.
    I have a question that arises from a recent thread in which the reasons were given as to why a PCP would not, indeed could not, cause dieselling. If this is the case then could 3 in 1 oil be used as a pellet lubricant for PCP's or is it going to have any adverse effect?
    I suggest 3 in 1 as it is cheap, readily available, and has been suggested on occasions as a bore cleaning agent. If 3 in 1 could be used could Ballistol; or would Ballistol be a better choice anyway?
    Dag

15. Seamaster

Seamaster Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

It certainly wouldn't cause dieselling in a pcp but I don't know if it would be a good pellet lube. I can't see why not though, if it was applied as you say in your post.

Chris

16. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

I've never tried it, I was told it was also could for keeping the barrel clean.

17. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

Recently I was advised to use WD40. Not sure if I should try it or not. Will it cause any problems if I do?

18. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    could caused dieselling in a springer, and its not o ring friendly (pcp)

19. anchovie

anchovie Banned

a pile of poo if you ask me , for everyday use just use them straight the tin , i've tried washing and 'lubing' them and in a usual hunting trip it dont make make difference at all , perhaps it would do if you were at a shooting range with no wind and rested but out on your shooting permission i doubt very much that half a millimeter of poa and poi will make any difference at all at what ever zero you're at ,don't fall into the trap in thinking you've got to do it because everyone else is.........did john darlin lube his pelletts before he went out , i doubt it very much and he is 'in my mind' bang on

20. richardscar

richardscar Donator

Hi Issac , WD40 will definitely explode(diesel) , I have never lubed pellets , but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for some ?
    atb, Rich.