1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Low power airsporter

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Meteor62, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Just fitted a new spring new tr Robb piston head and o ring and only achieving 7 ft lb in .177 is this all they are good for or is something wrong?

2. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Did you check the alignment of pellet loading port in the tap?.these are oftern out resulting in damaged skirts and loss of power and accuracey.probable a little late now as it's re fitted unless you strip it again .
    generaly once stripped look down barrel whilst slowly opening rap ,what you are looking for is an equal almond shaped eye as you open it .in other words if one side of the opening isn't equal to the other it will need shimming ,I've used up to 4 shims on a mk 6 .very common.
    you can check pellet formation by shooting it into a deep tub of water so as not to dent pellet too.
    I've replaced o rings on BSA and air arms and lost fps in the process.i think sometimes they need bedding in .but it does sound low ish but I'm not sure they make full power easily.
    keep shooting it I'm sure it will pick up.i think I read an article of lubricating o rings .i have used pellgun oil on scorpions and air arms side leaver o rings which worked well but I'm not too savvy re o rings.
    it too could be pellet choice ,or tight o ring ,need for more spring pree load or even the fact the seal could have cut if the cocking slits weren't debured polished prior to install.
    Check your old o ring has the rounded edge gone flat at all.
    had Simular issue with a hi power air arms just a tight seal .

3. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

10 - 10.5 ftlb's is about right for an Airsporter in good nick, so they're not a powerhouse but 7 is low.
    What Gixxer said covers all the bases, there should be some shims on the loading handle side from the factory, when you check the fired pellets there should be an even shiny ring from the rifling, if the alignment is out it will be easy to see. If you do have a new 'O' ring in it will be sapping the power considerably, it's worth checking the piston without an 'O' ring on as well on old BSA's as they can expand over the years.

4. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Was the spring cut to size already or was it a full size that you've cut?

Can you get any more coils in before it's coil bound on cocking?

5. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

It was a standard replacement spring from knibbs. And a terry Robb head and seal
    [​IMG]
    Will check spent pellets later for even rifling marks.

6. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

If I fire the rifle with the tap open should I when closing the tap feel or hear air being released? ATM it just sounds like I fired it with a pellet in it and no air released on opening the tap .

7. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Just had a look on the net at Terry piston head kit it states it has several o rings so you can size which is better and buffer washer of different thicknesses.
    Use try the thinnest buffer and the o ring that feels loosest in the cylinder.
    If these arnt what you already fitted.
    Not a bad price for what you get.
    If you have a few washers that will fit into the piston base try a few in too to add weight and pree load .

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  8. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

It sounds like the tap is worn, there should be about half a second as the air escapes & the piston goes to rest, & if your quick you can open the tap & release it. Try putting some thick grease on & see if it's improved?

You need to check a few fired pellets for alignment so you can rule that out, I use a bucket full of water with a hand towel folded up on the bottom. If the tap is worn it is quite a job to rectify, simply replacing the tap may not do it as the breech is probably worn too.

It could be worse, if you had a Webley the tap is tapered so you would lose your air, & the alignment with the barrel.

9. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

I didn't know you can test the tap for leaking that way ,great idea I shall remember that and your folded towel as I never have a deep enough container of water.
    i bought a tin of ptfe spray from euro car parts ,it was a clear with a tinge of blue colour once dry in seconds.it dried quite hard and I have built up a few layers on piston internals .on inspecting shots later is doesn't appear show signes of easily being removed and air I doubt would remove it .
    i wonder if such would help reduce and gap if sprayed on to both surfaces.
    i did too spray my airs porter tap but just as a dry lube .
    i remember my old man had a grease by castrol called water pump grease ,gees this stuff was thick and firm .but I bet it's not available any more this tin must have been 40 years old.

What does the under leaver feel like on cocking stiff or easy .
    stick with it I'm sure your going to crack it.

10. Patrick

Patrick Donator

NO,something is definitely wrong most Airsporter's put out about 10fpe in standard form from the factory and with a bit of fettling i.e strip down,clean and relube the muzzle energy usually increased slightly.Years ago the guy that done the air gun section for Guns Review wrote an article on basic tuning,no special parts or springs,just the O.E parts.some careful polishing etc and Abbey lubes and he was getting just over 700fps(.177) & about 550fps(.22) from a BSA Meteor.That Terry Robb piston head looks deeper than a standard one so you might be losing some volume,just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  11. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

No I've compared it with the original head and it's actually gained some volume

12. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Actually, with a big enough towel you can get away without the water, the witness marks from the rifling will be clear enough - but the towel will be somewhat stuffed...

13. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I've just had a quick look inside mine which I bought a while back as fully refurbed & running well, which it was, but is still dieselling after nearly a tin of pellets.
    I find I've got an oversize 'O', the piston is a very tight fit in the compression chamber.

[​IMG]

Maybe the dieselling was cancelling it out but accuracy was terrible, the first shot was right on the money then the next shots were getting progressively higher & wider.
    I'll track down a smaller replacement & put it back together, with zero lube in front of the piston. I'll let you know what happens.

14. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Now that piston head looks shorter than the one pictured earlier.or is it my eyes

15. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

It's modified to leave out the buffer washer & give more swept volume, you just have to redrill the hole for the locking pin, every little helps...

In fact it may be on it's second or even third go around based on the holes it's got in it, notice the wear marks where it's contacting the cylinder wall as well, I'll take a little off it & tidy it up a bit before it goes back in.

16. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

You can modify the tr Robb ones and it came with instructions how to increase the volume but I don't have the tools to carry out the operation.

17. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I think you just need the use of a cordless drill & the right size bit, you just fit the head without the buffer washer & drill through the existing holes in the head, but at right angles to the holes in the piston, for strength I suppose, but the pin should be free virtually floating.
    I'm not going to argue against Mr. Robb though, if you do try anything I say, for .'s sake check it first...

Measure 3 times, cut once...

18. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I have tried firing the pellets and they are not deformed at all and rifling marks are consistent all the way round. Shooting the airs porter today brought back memories from many years ago, they weren't the sweetest firing rifles of all time were they?

19. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Pin should be an interference fit in the piston head but a lose fit in the piston rod,if it's lose in the piston head as well it will move from side to side and could score the inside of the cylinder

20. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Today I tried holding my finger over the end of the barrel whilst cocking and decocking the gun and I have to say there is no way it's leaking as my finger was being sucked in as the rifle was cocked and pushed out on the forward stroke, with sucking noises a la bike pump.