1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Lovely Theoben SLR98

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by tomsteebs, Apr 27, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I'm lucky to own this and was very fortunate the seller took my ripley Hogan elite in px.

Anyway, it shoots very nice aswell as handles well, the muzzle report is pretty quiet considering the silencer size and the fact it's not a pcp (this is helped by the ported silencer with feeds air into the underlever). The multi shot functions very smoothly, and makes this a very versatile rifle, as it needs no fill source and it's compact.
    This was previously owned by Ben Taylor and I'm just in the process of getting email evidence as a means of historical evidence.

I'm swayed to say it's a heuda stock? But someone has said it's a cross grained walnut :rolleyes:
    I've taken some photos of it in the sun to show the amazing luminous nature of it. (last photos)

The seller was a genuine guy with more limited edition rifles than his wife allowed :)
    Whilst I was there I picked up couple if very nice cases and couldn't turn away a brand new theoben case.

Here's the picture's:

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0747_zpsmjqkxiqn.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0750_zpsyvigt1r9.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0749_zpsmkoczjdj.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0760_zpsok7ekcmr.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0756_zpsvvb86nbo.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0758_zpstswpdp92.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0759_zpsdiwnntkl.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

In the sun:

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_13985161861626761_zpsqtf8mxvv.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_13985160537554278_zpsbatgovwu.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/TomSteebs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_13985161707305809_zpsfudhyrp7.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Not my bag tbh but I can't deny that it's a fantastic looking rifle and the stock is stunning (looks like Walnut to me).. How does the rifle group?

I thought your Ripley was a keeper - seems like you're changing your rifles more often than your socks atm :p

3. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Cheers, it does have some features I'm not keen on, trigger guard is ugly and naff looking, trigger blade is a bit straight and the safety is one of those stupid trigger ones, I hate them as you have to pull the lever in the same direction as the trigger to turn it on so if you slip, you fire.

I will be shooting it this afternoon so will see how it groups, as I fancy some rabbit :D

Did I say it was keeper lol? That was a "i have some money, I remember what my old one was like, let's go and get one Cus I'm bored"
    A few days later I new I bought it for no other reason and should have got it in .177 (would have probably kept it if it had been), so it's been sitting in its case only having fired 100 odd shots. So i can't justify keeping it if it will not get used and only ever depreciate, I have been umming and aahhing for a few weeks over getting rid, then i shot it and wanted to keep it blah blah....

My longbow and t-200 are going too :)

4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Wow wow wow! that's the best slr ever Tom you lucky b****r.

IIRC the previous owner was selling a smooth twist Rapid not long ago, I enquired but someone pipped me to the post, he also briefly advertised this SLR to remove it.

I told the guy it if he ever wanted to sell it I would buy the gun, but he said he was holding onto it for now, he was a nice fellow, farm manager IIRC.

Was he in Milton Keynes Tom?

If Im correct he had a couple of Red rangers also.

5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Tbh I don't mind the aesthetics of the trigger; I agree with your point about the safety though. How is it in use? I had the same unit on a Fenman - to put it politely I found it somewhat agrecultural and unpredictable..

I can appreciate your situation with the Elite - no great loss IMO, especially with it being in the knuckle-dragger's calibre :p

I too am trying to have a bit of a clearout.. I wouldn't bin the T200 though; fantastic little rifles and I suspect increasingly difficult to find in decent nick. I was sorely tempted to keep the S200 I have for sale atm as it reminded me what honest and capable little guns they are. As with your Elite, the only thing that really forced my hand was the calibre.

Anyway, enjoy your afternoon's shooting - I hope the weather up there is better than it is here!

6. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Cheers both, weather is dogdey and it may be a one rabbit one shot type deal when I go out :)

The trigger safety is not what I'd call positive, it has a very small movement and reminds me of a rapid gamo trigger but as the safety (if you follow me)

If I'm honest I've only fired 8shots so won't cast judgment on the trigger yet as I haven't focused on it yet.

The difference between the original elite I had (was tinkered a bit) and this most recent one was quite alot, the original one was very accurate and nice to shoot, this one I hadn't achieved good enough groups to be satisfied.

Elliot-

Yep he's the one, poultry farmer just like me.

As much as I feel bad for you, I can't sell it to you :D I had exactly the same with my original sfs longbow which I agreed with buyer to ask me 1st but he sold it on for more if I remember right soon after :(

He had several red rangers that he sold, one of which I offered to buy, but he had already sold it (that guy then took it to Sussex and sold it on for £700 more!)
    He was also the guy who bought that £5k grey shadow off gun star.

Nice chap indeed (his idea of mint condition is somewhat inaccurate) he told me about all his very rare rifles he's had, ie .25 venom sharp, some gun called ?logic? (150 or something made)

Had a go with his grey shadow, superb rifle in terms of performance and stock.

Anyway that's a short story for you :)

7. ALIBABA

ALIBABA Engaging Member

A Beauty indeed.

8. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thats the guy Tom, he told me about the air logic genesis he said it was very hard to cock but regreted getting rid.

Anyhow I think he wanted £800 for that SLR at the time and I remember it being up for sale before he got it for £700 so I knew what he has paid or there abouts.

And do you know what I would have given him 700 for it, I like it that much.

I would be treating it with kitten gloves though mate, hyedua is a brittle wood and I had a taunus crack accross the pistol grip with a stock very silmilar, from just cocking it.

I would definately use it though mate and call that one a keeper.

If I would have got it first I would have been tempted to case it for the next 20years as I think it would appreciate in time.

For me its the best looking theoben ive ever seen.

9. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

As elliot says watch the stock when cocking or make sure the stock bolts are tight them stocks (hyueda) are easily split to bits my tanus sufferd same as elliots

10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I'll have to watch the stock, I can't not use a rifle, otherwise I'll buy a painting :)

I think I'll take it ratting this week m, should make a good barn gun and keep it In the back of the tractor.

Hw100 thumbhole in .177 with a nice piece of wood is next on ny list have seen a few sell recently with superb marbling and grain veins
    Go on Elliot show us yours please :)

A s510 ultimate sporter is also in the cards :D

11. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Grouping, just done a 7shot 8-9mm group at 18yards rested.
    I think that can be reduced down with a bit of practise (get used to the rather unique trigger pull)
    But I'm very happy with that considering it was the first brand in the rifle, and I haven't shot this or any recoiling rifles for quite a few months, other than zeroing.

As you say, the trigger is rather like a tractors clutch, heavy and just keeps going and then all of a sudden POWER

12. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Stunning, I love it :up:

13. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Well I just went out on a hunt after zeroing at 20yards.
    Walked around a bit, nearly broke my anckle and the gun stepping into a overgrown rabbit hole lol, but I just concentrated on keeping the rifle safe :D

Anyway Sat up under an overhang of a small tree, looking over a valley.
    Waited 20mins and a large rabbit appeared 90° to my right, so i had to do the old rabbit shuffle ( rabbit head up- stop. rabbit head down- shuffle etc...)
    Got in a prone condition and waited for 5mins following it in the crosshairs for ideally a back of the head shot. But It came to a relaxed mode so I did the old lip squeak to get it perked up and took it between the eye and ear.
    Paced at 32yards.

Lovely bit of action and enjoying this rifle.
    Good sized rabbit for the pot.

As I mentioned earlier- it would be a one rabbit one shot outing :)
    Next I'll be doing the lottery :D

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Definately hyedua stock tom.

African hardwood that is not used anymore as it was almost extict at one point, taunus, olympus, and fenman used it in the 90s then custom stock started using walnut again on the post 2000 rammers like sirrocco 2000 and late model fenmans.

Only hyedua gave that hydroglific type look when oiled and had almost like a dotted effect in patches running grain in both directions, the one below is actually a late one as it had dove tails machined, but the walnut came soon after.[​IMG]

Like dave said the cocking slot was an issue because the cocking linkage actually runs within a groove cut out in the stock, thats why it states in the handbook to never try cocking a theoben rammer without the stock attached to the rifle, as the linkage needs the stock to push against otherwise it would just collapse.

They used to staple some like ptfe sheet sometimes to the slot IIRC, I remember even as a teenager thinking why use a staple? but it worked, apart from the staple scratching the heck out of the linkage.

Or at least it did with the break barrels.

I bought a couple of new fenmans one in the 90s with a hyedua stock and then a late one with the walnut and the walnut one was pants they did away with the fixed mounts and the quality of bluing and general Quality control had gone to bits with theoben at that time.

I gave it a later last chance with a walnut .20 Evolution carbine much later in about 2005 but again it was a shadow of theobens early fenmans and taunus.

My friends Taunus was without doubt the best self contained airgun Ive ever shot and used, they gave way to the Rapids and he still has an early 90s Rapid now 20 yrs later, but he wishes he still has the Taunus and another lad we knew has the SLR88 and that was the best of the lot, I was told They stopped making them because basically they cost so much to make, there wasn't a great profit in them, or enough buyers with the money they cost at the time.

Hence the SLR98 a re incarnation of the 88 with modern maching able to cut cost down.

15. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

wow fantastic stock both of them

16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Well done Tom,

Great to use such a beutifull rifle it would be sad for it not to be used, and they actually perform better with use as it keeps the seals exercised and the leaks of a ram are often caused by standing for long periods, so even if your not using it run 20 or so pellets through it once a week.

Also great when you use a new airgun in the field as that's when you start to connect with them, paper or targets never gives me that excitement.

One point worth noting is when cocking a rammer, the more consistently you perform it the more consistenty the gun often shoots, this can be demonstrated with some rammers over the chrono, try cocking it quickly then slowly measuring each shot and it will often chrono much differently, I was told once by a someone who owned an SLR that his gun was best cocked quickly as it produced the higher power, it was something to do with where the intertia weight sits IIRC or where the nitrogen is dispersed in the ram, either way its was proven with his gun anyway.

17. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

great looking gun Tom, easily as good as a venom custom on the stock and blueing, only thing that lets the gas rammers down is the triggers.

Way too good for ratting mate, but yes it deserves to be used and hunted with.

18. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Haha lol I was joking

19. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

id agree, it looks very like hyedua

20. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

The old creepy or graunchy trigger problem can be sorted on these guns, by the man himself Ben Taylor, but he is now obviously at milbro but if this gun was his I should imagine the trigger to be pretty sorted!

Unless its been adjusted by anyone that's where the problems start, Ben used to have a jig to set them up perfectly I don't know if he still does.

But some say its best to run the sears dry totally degreased, I personally never had a bad one, they all had quite a short first stage, just how I like them and a crisp predictable let off, perfect hunting trigger, in fact I actually liked their triggers, but saying that I came from using BSAs,Sharp innovas, and FWB sports before the Fenmans, so I thought the triggers were great.

But If I went back to them now after owning some very nice triggered guns I may be able to find some fault if I was picky but in 5 gasrams mine were set perfectly from the factory, maybe I was lucky in that department and not so lucky in others.

It was the leaky rams that Pi**ed me off, the trigger was the least of my worries, but what attracted me to that gun Tom was if Ben had owned it himself, Im sure it has the best of everything internally and the trigger will probably be as good as it can possibly be, It never bothered my shooting I shot hundreds of grey squirrels with mine, but I suppose It depends on what your preference is in a trigger.

One thing Ive never liked on slrs was that add on silencer, but I can imagine it to go with a decent crack, as I once cocked my Feman and took off the silencer and shot it, to see how effective the evolution silencer was, and I say now I would not recommend this to anyone with fussy neighbours as it sounded like a .410 shotgun with the short barrel, I couldn't believe how loud it was, obviously I couldn't cock it again with a 7" barrel without re attatching the silencer, but to be fair I didn't want to....lol

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014