1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

LOUD NOISES!!!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Relgubmot, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Relgubmot

Relgubmot Donator

The business end of my BSA Super 10 mk3 (177) makes more noise than a noisy thing that's been sent back to the noise factory for making too much noise.

I have a weirauch silencer fitted and have tried an MWSS200, which made it louder.

Took it to my RFD who tried a couple of others (Decimeater, BSA VS) and they both made it louder.

Chronoed it and it came back at 12.4 on magnums, did some fettling, took it to 11.8 on magnums, still just as loud.

The next thing I'm going to try is fitting a full length barrel as I have a very short (think carbined-carbine) carbine barrel fitted.

Any opinions? Does a longer barrel mean less shouty loudness from the business end?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Are you saying it was louder with a silencer fitted??? Any of the above mods should do a good job of taming the muzzle crack right down, with a long or short barrel!

3. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Ah yes, back to phut boxes again, just don't understand it at all, air rifles only go phut quietly, why do people want 'em to go phut quieter still, lord knows what you lot would do if you had black powder burners? I had a shoot with a neighbours PCP thingy the other day, it was horrible, it didn't do owt but make a sort of fart noise, it didn't even kick not even minutely, it just went paarrrp. It felt like a dead thing in me hands. If you got a phut gun that makes a proper crack or bang I would rejoice in it and be eternally grateful!

Ok, look, I admit I am old school, probably very old school really, but I like to shoot summat that feels like it's got some life in it.....innit.:)

4. Relgubmot

Relgubmot Donator

Sorry no, louder than the Weirauch. It's a hell of a lot louder with no silencer at all, but louder than previous guns I have owned such as the S200, Hatsan etc.

5. Stevie Darling

ah yes, shooting at sensible airgun ranges without one will result in one bagged rabbit and every man and his dug running for cover:):)

6. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I like the sound of that!:cool: .......Seriously though, have you heard a "silenced" 17 HMR or .22 LR, they are much louder than a phut gun without a silencer...........How do you think those blokes get on?:)

Just in case I get accused of trolling, I am really not, I guess I just missed out on the time all this silencing thing happened. I suppose, me not being a hunter, it's all just passed me by. I just don't understand why so many of you think an air rifle needs silencing, have I mistakenly wandered into the Noise Abatement Society forum?:) Surely I am not the only one that thinks silencing air rifles is OTT?

7. Stevie Darling

Ok, have you tried getting someone else to shoot it for you (loaded) as you stand 30y down range? A silenced air rifle can still seem pretty loud in an enclosed space, shop, house, shed!!

8. Stevie Darling

Are they not shooting a bit further than 30y?

9. David M

David M Donator

I think if you've tried a Weihrauch and one of Matts that's about as good as you'll get it...!

10. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Tbh I think my r10 is rim fire loud....fitted the vc silencer and it's still got a good crack...but down range I told it's very quiet!

11. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

I have to use a moderator on my permission, there are several horses which cost a lot more than any of the guns on here. So if i want to shoot one rabbit let alone a few i have to use one.
    But then again we have had this discussion before.

12. Relgubmot

Relgubmot Donator

OK definitely confirmed that Ichabod does not want to use a moderator..

Moving on, longer barrel, quieter gun?

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

People who want to use silencers,use them...

People who don't, don't have one..personally I have 1 on my hunting rifle,to rule out any factors of shot noise if nothing else

14. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

I have always shot pcp,s in .177 but recently i aquired a s400 classic length in .22....now my 400 carbine in .177 with a AA silencer was not that quiet but in .22 with longer barrel and same AA mod.....wow what a difference. I dont no if it was the clibre change, barrel being longer or a combination of both.

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Possibly both, as a .22 will be more air efficient (ie, less air used to propel the pellet out of the barrel), and a longer barrel tends to be more efficient as well, so adding the two factors together means (possibly) less air blast, and therefore less noise.

16. shr1mp

shr1mp Donator

If its anything like an R10, with the shorter the barrel, the reg has to run at a higher pressure to acheive the same velocity out of the barrel.
    Chances are with a full length barrel you'll have to turn the reg down and it will probably be quiter.
    Note i said probably :)

Sorry cross posted with Jackroadkill.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  17. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

I have a Weihrauch moderater fitted on my Superten and it's whisper quiet. Never actually fired it without a mod on it.
    atb Paul.

18. Relgubmot

Relgubmot Donator

Full length or carbine barrel?

19. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Well maybe I should have Googled a bit more, the following seems as good an explanation as any, I don't hunt, so I have no idea about them, sorry if my sense of humour and lack of knowledge offended anyone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To some people it might seem strange that you would need a silencer for an air rifle. After all, unlike firearms or shotguns, theres no explosion when you pull the trigger. So whats the point of having a silencer?

If youve ever stood next to someone firing a springer or PCP you will hear a sharp crack from the muzzle. Thats the compressed air expanding after it has pushed the pellet out of the barrel. This can disturb the quarry youve been so careful to stalk, or if you are shooting in your backyard, it can disturb your neighbours. Both these scenarios can be avoided by fitting a silencer to you airgun.

Silencers are also called moderators. This is because the cylindrical device that many airgunners fit to their rifle barrels moderates the sound, rather than totally silencing it. Its true to say that some moderators do a better job than others.

For example, precharged airguns can be more effectively moderated than spring- powered airguns. Thats because most of the power developed by the action on a PCP is a small tink of the valve opening and closing. The noisy part comes when the compressed air leaves the barrel, but its relatively easy to damp this down.

A spring gun has all the commotion of the spring expanding and crashing into the end wall of the compression chamber. It produces a medley of sound similar to a drunk staggering home through a junk yard. The only way to lessen this calamitous racket is to take your springer to a skilled gunsmith who will polish and tweak the internals to make them smoother; or buying a springer with synthetic bearings like the Air Arms Pro-Sport or Weihrauch HW97.

You would be forgiven for thinking its only worth silencing a PCP because the noise of the internals of a springer will give the game away even if you had a moderator fitted to the end of your barrel. But what the shooter hears when he or she takes a shot is not what your quarry hears. A rabbit busy munching grass will only hear the twangs of a springer as something distant and unthreatening. The first thing he will know about your shot - if your springer is moderated - is when the pellet hits The Moderator home. Thats because the sound behind the pellet will have been muted by the moderator.

The moderator can also make the sound directional. This is why after knocking one rabbit down another rabbit quite close by you can often take a shot at another. Apart form his mates weird break dancing, the other rabbit will be blissfully unaware of your presence because the sound of the shot was channelled so specifically to the target.

So are moderators only of use to hunters? No. Backyard airgunners can benefit from them as well because muted shots are less likely to disturb their neighbours. In competition noisy rifle reports can disturb competitors, leading to unnecessary friction, so all airgunners can benefit from moderators.

THE CHOICE

There are plenty of moderators to choose from. Some are just a chamber where the air behind the pellet is allowed to expand before exiting the muzzle, thus reducing the crack. More effective ones use a series of baffles, which can be purpose-shaped metal, and plastic. One renowned silencer uses a hair curler. These baffles grab small quantities of excess air until the air behind the pellet emerges from the barrel with the wind knocked out of it.

Whatever type and size of silencer you use make sure its a perfect fit over the muzzle and is in perfect alignment with the bore of the barrel. If the muzzle of your airgun is not already threaded, a screw on silencer is best fitted by a gunsmith, but simpler sleeve-fit designs can just slide on to the barrel and be fixed in place by tightening a grub screw. Its always best to fit a silencer before you go to the trouble of zeroing your rifle because the moderator can have a very slight effect on velocity and also trajectory of your pellet, which can push your zero out.

The only down side of a silencer is that it can make your rifle rather long and unwieldy and this would explain the move towards carbines in recent times. However, companies like Daystate have started to develop new silencers, like the Airstream. It has some of its volume in front of the barrel and some overlapping it, which means the total volume of sound moderation is large, but because part of it fits over the barrel, it is shorter and less likely to unbalance the rifle.

A silencer is a basic, but essential bit of kit for both hunters and back yard plinkers and they dont have to cost the earth. Prices are around 30 upwards, but because of the Violent Crime Reduction Act silencers can no longer be sold through the post, but must be bought in person.

20. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Longer barrel, larger calibre and effective moderation will have you a "silent" gun.

It's all in the above post, good bit of reading. I've a Prairie that sounds like a rimfire without a mod. Stick on a Weihrauch and you wouldn't know I was there. My .22 springer is not nearly as quiet with the same mod fitted, but it's .22 yet a carbine.