1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for suggestions on a new rifle from a Former, experienced shooter

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Noodleman, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Noodleman

Noodleman Newbie

Hi Guys,

I've been out of the shooting game for quite a while and i've finally convinced myself to invest into some new kit. I sold all of my gear a few years ago. I had a collection of PCP rifles, springer rifles and pistols but due to them not being used as often as I would have liked I decided to unlock their value and sold everything.

I happened to stumble into a shotting ground a couple years back and hired an AA S200 for the morning to play around with in the range, I ended up walking away with a cheap springer setup for messing around in the garden as I missed my old rifles. I picked up a Stoeger X20 .22 which I still have today.

I am currently looking for something to help sort out a vermin problem, the X20 is doing the job but I am not that happy with it over range for those hedge diving bunnies! It is a good rifle, but not suited to what I want as it is quite loud. I've had the luxury of owning a few PCP rifles in the past, my favourite being the Daystate MK3 177, the most accurate and consistently tight grouping rifle I ever had!

I would love to get the Daystate MK4, but I just can't afford it at the moment. I am on a maximum budget of around £500 to £600, but that needs to get me a rifle, scope, charging kit (if PCP). This is where I would really appreciate the feedback of the forum.

I've decided that I am going to go for a .177 rifle this time because I rate the higher accuracy over distance. I am aware the stopping power is reduced over distance when compared with .22, but a well placed head shot is still a well placed head shot regardless. As I am intending to use it for hunting I am looking for a rifle with power up to the top end of the legal non FAC limit.

I would love a PCP rifle, but due to my budget I am not convinced I will be able to afford the setup as with the PCP rifle I would also need a suitable scope and the charging kit, all of which is extra cost. I am happy to use a pump rather than tank. A multi shot mag would be very helpful is one of the main reasons why I would rather have PCP, as well as the noise levels. Are there any PCP rifles / setups that you think would fit my requirements in my budget?

However, I am thinking that my best budget choice is to go for a gas ram, single shot rifle. The main gain here being the noise reduction over spring. The BSA LIGHTNING XL SE .177 caught my eye but after doing some research there is a lot of variation in the way they shoot and I found complains about the build quality and random drop off which has put me off. Same question as above, if you were in the same position what would you choose and why?

I am going to be heading to a few of my local ranges / shops over the next week to check out what they have and see if anything jumps off the shelf, but ideally would like to single out a particular rifle and hunt it down :)

Thanks in advance for any replies

2. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

have a look see on gun star.... set the parameters to what you can afford ect and see what set ups are going about, you should get a pcp set up for your price range, then with the choices you like come back here with all the details and we can see whats best value for you

example, bsa scorpion with hawke 3-9x50 scope and pump

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  3. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

4. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

There's been some good 2nd hand PCP packages come up recently for your budget, but it all depends on how long you can wait to see if anything crops up local to you.
    If you choose the springer route then the world is your oyster. As GP stated above, why not visit a dealer shoulder as much as you can, make a shortlist and then discuss the merits of each with the fine members of the forum.
    Good luck with your quest.

5. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Accuracy over range is the same in both calibers,trajectory is what changes.

You won't get many recommendations for new BSA springers,to put it simply,QC is crap and they are pretty costly for what you get.

See if you can pick up a BSA Scorpion or Ultra in multishot or an Air Arms S410,all three are good guns and I think the S400 series are one of the best production PCPs ever made.

For a scope,try a Hawke Sport HD,about £50 new,I've had 7.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. Noodleman

Noodleman Newbie

Thanks for the information and links, I will follow up on those and see where I end up.

Matty, you are right, I just explained poorly :).

Pidlar, in an ideal world I would like to get something sorted by the end of the week, gotta scratch that itch ! but if I can't find the right package / items then I will wait as long as I need to.

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Have you checked the sales section? There's a nice Falcon Prarie

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Were I in your situation I'd be aiming straight for a used Air Arms S410, preferably pre-anti-tamper. It's a buyer's market atm and if you shop around you might just get a complete setup for £600.

Leave the BSA springers and gas rams alone - they're crap :up:

9. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

10. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Complete s410 on bb s but in leeds pump scope bag ect £400 trusted seller bought a couple of pcps off him

11. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

Bargains do come around now and again.
    I got a HW101,silencer,scope,bag and bottle for £500 the other week,bit of a steal for the price to be honest although it wasn't from this forum ;)

12. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, if you go down the springer route HW95K in .177 good for HFT and hunting, mind you if your lucky to get that AA S410 KIT!!!!!