1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice looking for rotex r8 owners.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Greg1983, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

Morning evey one, as the title says I am looking for some info about the rifle in question.
    I have searched high and low on the internet only to get the same copy and pasted review...
    I'm really temped to get this rifle but with no new or recent reviews or videos about it I am a bit put off to go buy one in case they are a terrible rifle... And you cant really count on some ones review of a gun they have only shot for a hour or so... What I am looking for is if there is any owners about? Preferably some one that's had the gun for a few weeks! I would love to hear your opinion on the rotex r8 :)

Cheers in advance :D

2. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

just looked myself says it`s made in germany that can`t be all bad

3. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Handled one in Pax the other day interesting for Price

But understand supplies are just getting through to Dealers - Let alone Shooters -

Also Only currently availabe in .22

BOB/R

4. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

It looks a right bargain but the lack of up to date reviews is off putting.. But I'm tempted to grab one for my next pcp rifle.
    I also noticed they are listed as out of stock in. 177 on every site, guess I will have to hold off a bit longer just to be sure.

5. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

From your sig its says you already have a budget 10shot PCP may worth being patient until you actually get the chance to try one.

6. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Im in the same position as you Greg but I think its going to take quite a while before we get good honest reviews, but at that price they should sell well in the early days just have to wait and see.

7. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

It's the shot count I'm after and I wouldn't mind a brand new gun :)

Yeah clubber I'm going to hold out for some well detailed reviews from real users before buying but I'm also wanting a. 177 so I have no choice but to wait, guess i will get the Mrs to buy me it as my Xmas present haha she always complains she doesn't know what to buy me.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

Wel pleased with mine

Yeah clubber I'm going to hold out for some well detailed reviews from real users before buying but I'm also wanting a. 177 so I have no choice but to wait, guess i will get the Mrs to buy me it as my Xmas present haha she always complains she doesn't know what to buy me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  9. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

Posted on AAOC by one of the members.I have had the dubious pleasure of a brief test of the Rotex 8 and had 32 shots (4 mags) on the .22 version at my local range last weekend.

A young twenty something lad had purchased one from a local RFD and told me that the sales rep really pushed him towards it over a slightly battered but fully functioning (with 3 month warranty) .22 mk2 S200 with 10 shot, mod and spare mag that they had in there for £350 (The Walther set him back £450 with a petty rubbish 4x32 scope attached and "free" gun bag). It was his first PCP and had only owned a Gamo springer before that & he went there without reading up on the currently available guns and prices (big mistake!). I believe the line they kept giving him was that your first PCP should be brand new (wrong way round IMO). To me he came accross as a little disappointed with his purchase, but I think this was more to do with the fact it was a .22 so a little tougher to get setup for target shooting than a .177, and he was put off as either side of him were lads with .177 PCP's stacking pellets at 31yrds when he was having trouble (the main reason I went over to offer some advice and pick him up a little by assuring him that practice and a adjustable mildot scope along with learning to use the dots, would get him punching nice holes) as I have been right where he was...

I really didn't like it though to be totally honest, (although I didn't tell him that), but did tell him I would of spent the same cash on an a nearly new (or saved up another £100 or so and get one new) 2nd hand Air Arms S200/400, BSA, or even if he wanted a brand new gun on a tight budget then the Hatsan AT44-X10 PCP with a nice 4-12x44 E.Bros scope & silencer + 500 Crossman Domed pellets, Pack of Targets and gun slip all for £395 is a great current deal from that RFD's main competition.

It was well built but had a cheap feel still and badly balanced, didn't feel nice (with thumb up or round) to shoulder, the trigger was tight and had a very long and heavy pull and it didn't sound very healthy when fired (very tin and spring like). Also the pellets were all over the place with my shots sitting on a paper target 25 yrds down range (indoor) like I had hit it with a shotgun!!
    Yes alot of these issues could be tuned up and sorted easily enough, but overall it just didn't feel like a very nice PCP.

Same day I also got a chance to try out the new Gamo UK PCP, the 'Coyote'. Unfortunately it was the synthetic stock version and again in .22, but for a £350-£399 brand new price tag (depending on retailer, furniture and extras) with a ton of BSA design features and tech included (or easily added) on top of the usual Gamo price cutting without massive sacrifice who already make great budget rifles, it wasn't a bad gun at all and much nicer then I expected although it did also feel like, well a cheap Gamo that had mated with a BSA Ultra Tactical. It did feal well balanced and right to shoot, tight grouping and sounded like any other PCP. Ideal for a new shooter who wants to go PCP but on a tight budget and not keen on a pre-owned gun.

I really want to try the wooden stock version of the Gamo Coyote to see how it feels compared to the synthetic lighter (tactical) version, it could be a nice mix (TBH I wouldn't buy one of them either, but they do seem a good gun for a tight budget if someone is not ready to jump into the gamble that is the world of used firearms).

Over all I agree with most of you that a pre-owned S4x0 or S200 is a better bet, but ALOT of buyers of new PCP's have their mind set on a brand new gun which MUST be multishot without the slightly deeper pockets to buy an Air Arms or other Quality make and proven model & version.

10. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

This makes me think that PCPs at the budget end of the market are not as consistent as they maybe should be, your comments about the accuracy of the Rotex are so far from my experience with mine which lands pellet on pellet at 30yrds, it does not make an odd sound when fired but has a mod on so that could be why. The Hatsan AT44 is something I want to forget, as you say about the Rotex it looked as if the target had been shot with a shotgun with no distinguishable group to speak of, the mags are the work of the devil, you need to clean out the holes where the pellets go with wet and dry paper to even get a pellet to pass through. The scope is completely useless as it is parallax focused at 100mtrs meaning at 20 yards you have a slim chance if hitting anything smaller than a barn door. Great moderator!!! that's the only positive I can come up with..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  11. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

I had a chance yesterday to push out to 40 and 50 yrds with the R8, shooting prone with a flat football support and was impressed with the accuracy, a bit more time working out the dots and at 50 yrds and it should be spot on.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

hi shoots which pellets does the gun prefer? im tempted to go ahead and buy one in .22 but i really want the gun in .177... man its a pain when you have cash sitting there waiting... my minds thinking of all ways to spend it haha!

oh and one other question, does the buddy bottle unscrew to refill? or is it quick fill probe only?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  13. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

Hi Greg, Im using JSB exact jumbo heavy, I haven't tried any other pellet as I am very pleased with the consistency with these, rocking boats and all that.. the buddy bottle does not unscrew to fill, there is a probe that fits into the bottom of the stock to fill with.

14. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

Nice, from what I gather those Lothar barrels will fire any pellets with no fuss, I'm in 2 minds if u should grab a. 22 or hold out for a. 177... It's odd the bottle isn't removable although I guess it's a down side to budget pcp rifles.

15. Macdoog

Macdoog Posting Addict

Ive just read the short write up in the Airgun shooter.....it looks like its shooting ok but it does look cheap and nasty. And why the hell does a pcp need a barrel weight???

16. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

I think they went for the BSA R10 look but obviously with a bit more style! IMO.

17. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

The firing cycle felt off to me, possible reason for a barrel wieght as some PCPs can muzzle flipp.
    If so less effort to fit a barrel wieght then re-engineer and build the whole firing side of things for PCP use on a budget gun.

Or i could be talking from my arse.

18. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

I like the look of it :) and for the barrel weight I guess its probably back end heavy so they stuck it on just to even it out? Who knows... Either way its caught my eye :D

19. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

hmm

Its a Fugly beast. to say ythe least. looked at one in Botley gunshot yesterday. its def built to a price. ok for a cheap gun lots of parts are plastic as opposed to alloy.

I was tempted though for the money. but he only had a 22 and i wanted a 177. i may hold out for another 100 cheap. but it'll never be as cheap as the r8. however i expect better accuracy than that at 40 and 50 yards.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  20. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

I have to ask, of the lots of parts that are plastic would you like to give more detail, I have one and 'lots' is not a word I would use, go on, I have a feeling it won't be a list!!