1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Land To Shoot On

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by Teg366, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teg366

Teg366 Engaging Member

Hi there, New to the sport and interested only in target shooting. Was going to join a local club this year but then covid happened.

After speaking to local authorities about where i can legally shoot they told me i would need to contact land owners and get permission to shoot on their land. (I was specifically querying legalities of shooting up on the local moores). So i contact the local council to ask who i need to speak to about shooting there, they put me onto the north yorkshire moores preservation people wtv their name is and they said i can legally shoot there on specific days of the year IF and only if i was hunting.

To which i said "Soooo if it's a hunting day and i go setup targets and shoot those instead of animals i don't have permission to do that?" which they respond with "Correct"... Like really, REALLY!? -.-

I would never shoots anything cutes so this upset me a little -.- Anyways. after talking with them a bit more they suggested i try and get in contact with someone who privately owns land up there or a local farm and ask for the land owners permission.

I have no idea how to get in contact with such people but now i'm here on the forum now soooooooooo........

Was wondering if there is anyone in the North-East Saltburn area with suitable land who wouldn't mind me and a friend shooting there, bringing our own targets and setting them up at different ranges whilst we are shooting.

Would be greatly appreciated if anyone would be able to provide permission to shoot on their land (Would need signed confirmation in writing). If you would like to meet me and my friend first and have a chat to know we are responsible peoples then i have no problem with that and would be happy to meet.

Obviously we will also be adhering to local Covid-19 restrictions wherever applicable in any and all environments. I've not actually left the house since this started except to take our cat to the vet when he was ill so it's been a cozy year for me xD

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help with this.

Note: Just so there is no confusing shock if anyone is able to help with this. I am trans. My body is naturally male but my gender identity is female. I am 30, nearly 31. My friend is female aged 40. She doesn't shoot, though she will probably have a go with my rifle. She's more for travel and accompaniment and support as i have social anxiety issues and don't go anywhere alone. We both also like to do photography so no doubt whilst i'm shooting she will be taking photos of landscapes and hanimals :3

Phil Spectre, Lev Levvin and Kj1 like this.
  2. ukzero1

ukzero1 Posting Addict

Nr. Pontefract. West Yorkshire. BASC member
    You could try Googling farms in the area you wish shoot. Then you could contact them via email or snail-mail asking if they are willing to let you target shoot on some land that's been dormant or unused. Sometimes there's that odd bit that doesn't get used for one reason or another.

Hope this helps.

3. Teg366

Teg366 Engaging Member

Thanks. If nobody here is able to offer then i will have to try doing that. I'm just hoping somebody here might have some land in the area rather than calling or writing to random people asking if i can shoot there and not help with pests xD If i was shooting the cuties then im sure there would be plenty of people willing here xD

4. pjgtech

pjgtech Where we're going....we don't need roads...

Hi, hope you find somewhere to shoot, I assume that you don't have a suitable garden? It is perfectly legal to shoot in your own garden, as long as you do it discretely, have a good backstop and no pellets leave your property. NB: If you rent then you need the owners permission to shoot.
    Councils usually do not give permission to shoot on their land or properties.
    Most people guard the land they shoot on, as its quite hard to come by.
    Land owners generally allow peeps to shoot if they are providing a free pest control service, eg: rats, squirrels, rabbits, etc, on farms, etc. They do not generally just allow peeps to shoot targets.
    If they do allow you to shoot, get it in writing and you will generally need to be insured, (Google BASA, BASC, CCC, etc).
    The best way (usually) is to drop letters at the places that are most likely to let you shoot. called a permission letter, some are available on here or google them, try farms, golf courses, garden centres, waste dumps, etc. But, as stated above, if they give you permission they usually want you to provide a pest control service, so they get something in return for letting you shoot on their land. Good luck.... :up:

zeeco likes this.
  5. ukzero1

ukzero1 Posting Addict

Nr. Pontefract. West Yorkshire. BASC member
    Just to add, not all 'cuties' are cute. In the case of rats, look up Weils Disease (Leptospirosis) and it's effects on humans. Then, when you're about to rinse your hands in that nice looking stream...think again. It could be contaminated with rat urine. And that's only 1 disease they carry.

6. Teg366

Teg366 Engaging Member

I don't wash in streams. nor would i choose too. Diseases are bad, yes. But it's not the rats fault. The rat is still cute. It's like saying a person with an infectious disease is ugly just because they are ill beyond their control and could infect you.

I stand by my rule of if it's cutes i don't shoots.

As mentioned though i do understand pest control, i am not against it. It's a thing that needs to be done. I just wouldn't do it myself.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Fusty Fieldcrafter and ukzero1 like this.
  7. Wing Commander

Wing Commander Keyboard Hero

Good luck with your quest to find a landowner who will be willing to allow you to shoot exclusively at paper or plinking targets. . Let's face it, if you don't ask, you won't get.

However, most landowners who are in a position to offer shooting are usually expecting people to shoot vermin and will, regardless of the covid problem, probably politely suggest you join a club.

8. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer LOW BELLEND THRESHOLD

to be fair my friend and this is in no way aimed at you personally but I wouldn't take anyone shooting that I KNEW had any kind of mental health problems and you most definitely fit this category with your anxiety issues.

Blackmax, MrYan and Lukeypoodle like this.
  9. Teg366

Teg366 Engaging Member

Right.... so because i have social anxiety issues i shouldn't be allowed to fire a rifle? -.-

10. NIVEA

NIVEA Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

HIYA TEG366 . . . . . WELCOME TO OUR AIRGUN FORUM . . . . . ENJOY . . . . . :welcome:

Teg366 likes this.
  11. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

This^^ unfortunately if not controlling pests few landowners will want someone on the land with a gun unless they are renting a portion of that land.
    Two options really approach landowners with the attitude of looking for land to rent. A farmer may have an unused area that would not be to expensive to rent.

Or join a club.

THIS IS WRONG there is no land at all in the UK where you can just turn up and shoot no matter the day or what you are shooting at.

DO NOT DO IT even if its a “ hunting day” and a shoot is on.
    No matter what someone has told you. It’s a big offence and you can be in serious trouble. You must have permission from the holder of the shooting rights to shoot on any inshore land in the UK.
    We don’t have public access land where you can shoot unlike lots of other countries that do.

Welcome to the forum and shooting.

12. Bunyip

Bunyip Member of the Edgun cult

That's a bit harsh, social anxiety not a child murdering schizophrenic,there's a massive difference in mental illness, I know of a few members on here who have had or still have some form.
    Really not welcoming or im sure helping with her social anxiety with that attitude

Darkminder and Teg366 like this.
  13. Teg366

Teg366 Engaging Member

Thank yew <3 And exactly It's those kind of people that make me more anxious. But mehr. i do my best to ignore them these days. I'm becoming more and more cynical in my old age xD

Oh no no. It's specific days where they give permission for hunting groups on land that they have the rights to give permission. It is entirely legal.

Bunyip likes this.
  14. r10hunter

Someone is playing a silly game with you seriously don’t take any notice.

The people shooting on those days are part of a syndicate who pay £1000 per person to shoot not just anyone can turn up and shoot on those days.
    Some people don’t like it and maybe using you as a pawn in a silly game.
    Random people can’t just turn up and shoot trust me.

Look for a little bit of land to rent or join a club.

Thorbrand likes this.
  15. Teg366

Teg366 Engaging Member

It's really a moot point anyways. Already clearly stated i don't want to hunt so it really doesn't matter what they say as i'd never go xD

16. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer LOW BELLEND THRESHOLD

it's not harsh in my book matey.
    it's a simple fact of firearms safety.mental health issues,drugs and alcohol are not to be mixed with firearms,EVER.
    try and get an SGC/FAC if you're drug or alcohol department or have/have had mental health issues.

foxtrott likes this.
  17. Teg366

Teg366 Engaging Member

Funny because the local gun club had no issue with my social anxiety issues and in fact were very supportive of me joining there and meeting their members. I'd appreciate your not posting on my threads anymore as you have your right to your opinion and it has now been voiced.

No further conversation with you is necessary for me.

Have a nice day.

18. r10hunter

Joining the club is really the best thing to do for you once they are all up and running again.
    At the end of the day it’s an airgun and a little bit of anxiety so that is if no concern.

But if you do look for somewhere to shoot in the countryside beware that it can bring you into contact with Ne'er-do-Wells while you have a gun on you.

We have access to many thousands of acres but if my wife is out shooting I try to stay within a reasonable distance or make sure one of the other lads is with her.

She has no anxiety issues and has her own guns and licence but .....
    Only you know how you would cope with any conflict so something to consider before parting with cash to rent anywhere deep in the countryside.

If as you say you have no interest in hunting a club is really the best place.
    Although it may be daunting at first most clubs will be very welcoming and it’s a much nicer and safer environment to learn to shoot. Without keeping one eye on your surroundings and one on the gun the whole time.
    Plus it’s all done for you so no going out with strimmers and all the rest.

critter, lee71, NIVEA and 1 other person like this.
  19. Teg366

Teg366 Engaging Member

Oh yeah. I'd be with my friend anyways, she's big, she'd knock a fker out if anyone approached xD She used ot be a club bouncer haha.

But yeah i plan on joining the local club anyways. My uncle used to be chairman of it and after meeting the people running it now, they were very nice and welcoming. They were very accepting of my issues as well and whilst normally they don't let anyone on the range who isn't a member except for specific visiting days. They said that under the circumstances they would be willing to let my brother come along anytime to accompany me as it shouldn't be an issue for him to just sit back and watch. If it wasn't for covid we'd have been there starting summer later spring 2020. But yeah covid sux -.-

Soon as the covid situation is better i'll be joining there. But if i can find anyone willing then some outside shooting area would be nice also. The local club here is only a very small indoor range so it would be nice to have somewhere outside where i can just setup wtv distance i want and have a nice day out shooting.

Either way it's all good. Never know until one asks and figured with the number of active users here it was the best place to try. :)

r10hunter likes this.
  20. Grey Man

Grey Man Big Poster

:rolleyes:

Lukeypoodle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.