1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Looe

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Nobby, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:03 AM.

1. Nobby

Nobby Keyboard Hero

Anyone on here live in Looe or nearby?

2. machine a newun

machine a newun Busy Member

Would love to, had many a holiday in Polperro where my folks had a flat in the 1970's, up Longcombe lane. We would come from Polperro aboard the Westward Ho to Looe to pick up other passengers to go out shark fishing and looking for Conger.

Slipknot88 and warrenater like this.
  3. PolzeyLad

PolzeyLad Busy Member

On the other side of Cornwall in Polzeath! But it’s not too far away.

4. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Beast of Bodmin !!

I lived in Looe for years... moved out of the town in 2009

what do you want to know ?

the town itself is a haven for drunkards ... swarming with tourist in high season....

out of season it’s pretty much a ghost town when the tat-shops close up

There’s a few estates on the edge of the town, Barbican, sun rising... lot of bored teenagers hanging around

The town is postcard pretty but scratch the surface and it’s not the best place to live.
    Car parking is a nightmare and costs a premium even for locals.
    We had to pay £480 annually EACH VEHICLE for a permit to allow us to bring our vehicles into Looe... or we had to park in the main car park at £15 a day !! ( and that’s assuming there was a space available...)

quite often I’d return home from work in evening to find a random car in my personal parking space !! (Tourist trying it on to avoid car park charges :mad:)
    Which always ended in hostile exchanges when they returned to their blocked-in or clamped cars

Very VERY cliquey... Looe-born folk really do think they have special rights

I enjoyed living there (5 years) but when the party-hard side of things became boring and I just wanted a quiet life,.. I found I couldn’t do it. Tourists put paid to that.
    Trapped in our own home because of non stop tourists almost 24/7... quite often we’d have strangers open our door and walk in thinking we were another cafe or trinket shop

if you’re looking outside of town, it’s quieter but still VERY expensive... folk who live in Looe don’t get any discounts... everything is tourist price there.

the Town council are best described as the stazi... they wield power and they absolutely love it... you can’t just ‘do what you like’ regards how your home looks or where you drive your vehicle... the town council have the say on that...!!

We moved out into nearby countryside because it was too much for Zoë to bear anymore..rented her place out for a year but following nightmare tenants wrecking it and doing a flit... she had enough and sold up.

still visit occasionally but the car parking is astronomical even for disabled so it is a very rare visit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 3:44 PM
  5. peasemold

peasemold Busy Member

And Lev isn't exaggerating at all . . . . . .

Lev Levvin likes this.
  6. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I think @Nobby may be lost as he's a 'dumpling' guy .. :D

That hurts likes this.
  7. Nobby

Nobby Keyboard Hero

Thanks guys.

Tadpole what is a dumpling guy? So I put on a few pounds of weight during lockdown . . . . :(

Lev Levvin, Tadpole and Slipknot88 like this.
  8. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Do you want to tell him, or shall I Tadders :eek::D

Nobby likes this.
  9. Slipknot88

Slipknot88 One step beyond

Stayed at the crumple horn mill a few times in Polperro, always nice there:thumb:

10. Slipknot88

Slipknot88 One step beyond

Do you remember the boat that went out from Milandreth?....I'm not sure thats the correct spelling.

11. machine a newun

Lev, I was thinking of booking a short break down there when the lockdown is done but you have just saved me a small fortune, I think I will settle for a week at Loggerheads with the missus.

12. machine a newun

I think it's Milandreath, just a little way up the coast East of Looe, only went there once we got lost and ended up there. I dont recall the names of any of the boats there but I used to help old Arthur Searle with the hire boats at Polperro. The one I recall was the Three sisters, I used to wash her down and empty the bilge, top the petrol tank up and sometimes he would let me take "Foreign" tourists out in her for an hour. Let them catch some Mackerel and when they get back ashore and realise they cant do anything with the fish they would give them to me and I would pass them onto Arthur. He wasn't interested in the Mackerel so much but sometimes the odd Pollack or Whiting would be caught and he liked those.
    I think I had best sign off here because I am hijacking someone else's post.

Lev Levvin and Slipknot88 like this.
  13. Bezzer

Bezzer Posting Addict

Nowt to do in Loggerheads ,the Sanatorium shut down years ago, it's a village in N.Staffs :D

machine a newun likes this.
  14. Nobby

Nobby Keyboard Hero

Hijack away.

I'm looking at a house move and this will have to be a forever home, so I don't want to make a mistake.

15. Readie

Readie Grumpy Old Fart

should I be worried about googling that ?

16. Tadpole

'Go you ahead, Mark' .. :thumb: said in the broad accent of that well known Cornish comedian .. :D .. jethro.jpg

That hurts likes this.
  17. Lev Levvin

You’re better off looking inland away from the well known tourist haunts Nobby....honestly

most of the smaller villages in the surrounding areas are lovely, reasonably priced and near enough to facilities via car / bus / taxi / donkey

don’t fall into a trap of a romantic vision of Looe or polperro as used to be years ago....

these places are 100% commercial tourist driven now... very few properties are local owned..

Most properties in Looe are holiday lets... owned by folk from far away

packed with tourists in season ( only autumn is out of season)

I don’t want to put a damper on it but we met a couple who retired from Barnsley and bought a Looe property to end their days with their savings... ex policeman and teacher...

first month or so was great... all new and had a huge holiday vibe...

but it didn’t take long for that to wear off and they felt very lonely and isolated... surrounded by thousands of people but totally alone

if you weren’t born in Looe you will never become part of their ‘clique’ ... no matter how long you live in the town.
    it really is very unpleasant

last I heard they sold the property and I have no idea where they went

just take care mate... I love living in cornwall but I’ve learned that anywhere ‘popular’ is very best avoided as a home base

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 4:03 PM
    ukglyn, peasemold and Tadpole like this.
  18. Nobby

Nobby Keyboard Hero

At the moment the catchment area is anywhere in the Saltash - Looe - Callington triangle, but as Mrs Nobby is not allowed to drive, access to public transport would be very desirable, if the day should come when I quit driving too.

Wilco and Tadpole like this.
  19. Lev Levvin

Check out

Pelynt,
    Taphouse,
    Liskeard (outlying)
    St Cleer
    Menheniot
    St Germans

all have bus services ,some pass through Saltash for your family ..

shop (s)

close enough to the tourist areas to visit for the cornwall vibe but a world away from the Emmets :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    Wilco, jaisalmere, PolzeyLad and 2 others like this.
  20. Tadpole

Out of interest are you a Devon man Nobby ;)

That hurts likes this.