1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

longest shot

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Rockabilly, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

without any bull, whats the longest distance you have dropped a rabbit
    with a legal limit airgun, mine is 65 yds:)

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Member

That's long range fella!

47 yds with huge holdover and heavy pellets. Chairgun said they'd hold over 69% of their energy and it was a windless day. Single shot behind the eye. Don't usually try anything over 35-40 yds for fear of wounding.

3. topcat

topcat Post Whore

when you read some of the bull in the magazines telling you not to go past 30 0r 40 yards it seems to of become law .rubbish i say in perfect conditions resting prone or better still of a bipod 65 yards head shots are not that diffucult if you put the practice in and the conditions are spot on ie no wind 11.5 fpe in 177 has ample power to dispach a rabbit at those distances thats the big advantage you have using 177 less hold over curious to see what the22 boys are doing under similar conditions

4. topcat

topcat Post Whore

elmer were you using 22 with a 177 11.5 fpe using air arms 8.4 pellets with a zero of 40 yards you would only need to put the croshair on the top line of mr bunnys head not that hard really but with 22 a lot harder

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Member

.22 Accupell's with 12ft lbs HW100T and bipod. Zeroed at 35 yds. Greater distance is much more prone to wind and pellet deviation, so I think 60 yds is not safe mate. Those sort of distances are going to bring a lot of wounded rabbits.

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Member

According to Chairgun (which I use regularly before testing pellets and scopes), at 65 yds, you'll have 5 ftlbs of energy remaining (3 is sufficient to kill a rabbit with a perfect head shot), so I agree that it's enough to kill. But the pellet will drop 18 inches!!..and that's in perfect conditions...unlikely in the field. That's why people mention the 35 yd rule..less than an inch deviation above or below the aimpoint...

Are you a club shooter? I'd join one if you're getting consistent drops at those ranges....

So that's not just above the bunnies head is it?

7. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

i know someone that puts rabbits down on a regular basis at70yds using a .177 11.5ftlb rapid , and ive seen him drop a rabbit with a head shot at 110yds on several occasions , yes i know you doubt it but its true!

8. topcat

topcat Post Whore

actually elmer i get more clean kills around 65 and on those windless days if you put the practice in i will only go for shots im sure i will get aclean kill with i use 20times magnifacation and head shots only prone or of a bipod dont no what it is but at that type of distance they seem to just drop no sumersaults or twitchig what seems to happen ocassionaly at closer distance

9. David

David Engaging Member

I havent killed a rabbit but a target set at 61 yards with -12ftlb in .177 I can create a grouping of 35mm on a windless and sunny day with a springer set up correctly

10. topcat

topcat Post Whore

good shooting with a springer david 177 makes those long shots much easier and a pcp easier again

11. David

David Engaging Member

I found a tasco scope with a 24 mag brought the target real close so made shooting a lot easier but yes harder with all that recoil

12. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

I wouldnt try anything living outside 35 yards but i have shot at targets at 60 to 70 yards but found it difficult to hit consistantly wind makes such a difference at that range and i think i would have to clamp the gun in a vice to keep it still i move even with a good rest. mm's of movement at the gun end can be inches of feet at the target so i take my hat off to those who can shoot at those distances.
    I shoot with .22 cal and get 5p groups under 35 yards.

13. David

David Engaging Member

AA

I find that a 3 to 5 mh wind would deflect a pellet 100mm off target at 61 yards in .177 @ -12ftlb
    I also use flags and the treeline downrange to judge how hard the wind is going before I take the shot and with luck.....

14. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Member

Now....there's a man I could talk turkey over a pint with.....I live in rabbit heaven (shoot over a few hectares in Cheshire, teeming with rabbits) and all of the above is true....

15. topcat

topcat Post Whore

dont knock what you cant do elmer

16. topcat

topcat Post Whore

long shot

wind wind wind how many times have i got to say it perfect conditions no wind